• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Magic High Schools Worth Enrolling In

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
GeneStriker wrote:
Is it weird that I hated Index, but loved Railgun? Something about Touma irritates me as an MC, but I don't seem to mind him as a side character...

Yes, definitely. I'm checking my chart of my acceptable opinions here and the norm is to like Index but dislike Railgun. It is a tolerable opinion to like or dislike both, too. But to like Railgun and dislike Index is definitely an anomaly. You should get it checked by a professional.

I just got it checked, and it turns out that it's a form of benign cancer. It's a minor behavioral issue, but it shouldn't give me much trouble in the long run now that I'm aware of it. Thanks for the heads-up. Laughing
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Dear Paul,

You gave top marks to Zero no Tsukaima and praised Mahoka Koko no Rettosei. Your taste is impeccable, and you've convinced me you're ANN's finest reviewer. Keep up the great work! In a sea of try-hard artsy hipster edgemasters, you're the guy waving glowsticks to the trance banging out of your headphones. Thanks for being awesome!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:
Is it weird that I hated Index, but loved Railgun? Something about Touma irritates me as an MC, but I don't seem to mind him as a side character...

nope you aint weird, because i droped index at around ep14 or smth like that while railgun i finished right away both seasons in a marathon, probably the main reason for that is that we got a girl that is the MC and is also very strong wish we had a few more of such animes Smile
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm enrolling in Duel Academia Cool
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Which is why I hate the 2nd season because it throws that out the window and Louise regresses into the abusive bitch she was at the beginning. Third season was an improvement but by then I was so disillusioned that I didn't even watch the final one.

F is the worst season in my opinion, but for different reasons. Louise isn't that bad in F, but Saito's indecisiveness gets really irritating since he isn't man enough to reject all the girls. So kind of ironically the harem ends up being a massive cockblock. The maid? The worst of em all.

I'm glad Tokyo Ravens gets a mention. I really liked that show. Wish I could get into light novels.
Stiles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:

I'd say that's very weird. You don't like the parent story but you like the filler, and you're basing it off a dislike of the main character? You should probably just cash out now and not bother then.

It's a good list though, but Index should definitely place ahead of Railgun because it's the parent story and easily has the stronger narrative, even if the adaptation isn't perfect. Railgun stands squarely on the strength of Misaka and the fact that it's easier to digest with its complete disregard to the main plot.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Dear Paul,

You gave top marks to Zero no Tsukaima and praised Mahoka Koko no Rettosei. Your taste is impeccable, and you've convinced me you're ANN's finest reviewer. Keep up the great work! In a sea of try-hard artsy hipster edgemasters, you're the guy waving glowsticks to the trance banging out of your headphones. Thanks for being awesome!

This sounds like an indirect insult of the other reviewers for some odd reason. I personally would rather you just explain why you think Tsukaima and Mahouka are good shows.

OT: I am really tired of the magic high school genre. Asterisk War made me rip my hair out, Chivalry's first 5 episodes made me irritated with the stupid teenage crap in the romance (given that I like Spice and Wolf style romances better, that might be why) and the incest sister and "strongest despite being weak by the system" irritates me. I haven't even watched Tsukaima and Mahouka; the first due to my irritation with overly aggressive tsundere and Mahouka due to the very self insert element of it all.

The only anime of this type i like are the Raildex series and even i'm starting to get really tired of Index New Testament's power creep and idiotic introduction of characters
AwaysAnnoyed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big follower of the genre, as such the first anime that popped into my head was recently popular The Irregular at Magic High School. Now I'm not saying it's good, but it certainly did leave an impression of the 'OP MC is OP', for better or for worse.

I do hope to see the Seraph of the End's prequel which focuses on Guren adapted into an anime someday, since it also plays out in a high school setting. Only, the ending of the story is already decided (the World of Vampire Reign), so how they get there is the real fun part. I think it will make a valuable addition to the genre! Again, for better or for worse.
GeneStriker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:
I'd say that's very weird. You don't like the parent story but you like the filler, and you're basing it off a dislike of the main character? You should probably just cash out now and not bother then.

It's a good list though, but Index should definitely place ahead of Railgun because it's the parent story and easily has the stronger narrative, even if the adaptation isn't perfect. Railgun stands squarely on the strength of Misaka and the fact that it's easier to digest with its complete disregard to the main plot.

Oh, don't get me wrong. Touma is not the only problem I have with Index. The show had a lot of meaningless plot twists that, in the end, didn't really do anything for the story (i.e. losing his memories of the first few episodes exclusively for him to occasionally say that he has amnesia, and no other particular reason). Index being more or less useless for the entire show. None of the potentially interesting world building being important after the arc in which it is offhand mentioned.

Touma is my main problem, though. He's just not an interesting character, and I didn't have any reason to root for him for the entire series because his power would get him through, no matter the situation. It's a shame, because the series has an interesting setting and a pretty good supporting cast, and I did like the episodes that focused on them, such as Accelerator's mini-arc. Even Touma seemed to benefit from stepping out of the spotlight in those cases.

Railgun does exactly that, which is probably why I liked it more. And as for the 'not connected to the main plot' bit... It's a spinoff. It doesn't have to have the same plot. Just because it isn't related to the magic stuff in Index doesn't mean it's not interesting. It's just a different part of the environment.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
VORTIA wrote:
Dear Paul,

Not sure if this is serious or sarcastic. Poe's Law, I guess.

Personally I don't have as much of a problem with Tatsuya's Gary Stu-ness or Gary Stu's in general as most people, but he is way too OP what with the spoiler[immortality/resurrection ability and his ability to shoot through walls and shoot nukes. Don't forget that not only could he fly, but in the story he invents flying. ] Way too much.

Familiar of Zero was far from bad, but number 1, even in the genre? Hardly.

Good to see Tokyo Ravens on the list. It really came into itself in the second half.

I liked both halves of Raildex, though Railgun mainly for Misaka. Even today she is still popular. It's not too odd for people to like the spinoff but not the parent. Especially if the spinoff is different enough, either in focus or characters. Girl focused Slice of Life are quite popular so it's not too unusual that a spinoff that has those elements would be popular too, while that same portion of the fans might not take to the original's relative lack of those elements
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:51 pm Reply with quote
GeneStriker wrote:

No it's not weird. I'd say the Raildex fandom is fairly evenly split between the two. In terms of the anime's Railgun has a bit more slice of life feel to it (just a little) than Index.

Personally I'm a Railgun fan. I own both Railgun seasons and none of Index though I have watched both Index seasons. My main gripe about Index for me is .. well Index herself. I'd rather see one of those mysterious trucks that Kouji Seo is fond of take her out than watch her especially with that stupid head biting!
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't think this trend has any particularly strong series in general. If this is the best it's got to show off, I don't think I want to imagine its worst. And I can't understand why, since the setting by its own has plenty of potential to allow something awesome to turn up. Sadly there is nothing great here, just a couple that are watchable.

I guess only thing one's got to do is to wait and hope for the Harry Potter series to get an anime adaptation, and show what Magical Schools settings are capable of doing. Until then, pray that someone figures it out sooner and delivers something worthwhile, because boy, would that sell!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
F is the worst season in my opinion, but for different reasons. Louise isn't that bad in F, but Saito's indecisiveness gets really irritating since he isn't man enough to reject all the girls. So kind of ironically the harem ends up being a massive cockblock. The maid? The worst of em all.

That is bad, considering he had no problem declaring how much he loved Louise in the other seasons.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Personally I don't have as much of a problem with Tatsuya's Gary Stu-ness or Gary Stu's in general as most people, but he is way too OP what with the spoiler[immortality/resurrection ability and his ability to shoot through walls and shoot nukes. Don't forget that not only could he fly, but in the story he invents flying. ] Way too much.

Tatsuya's abilities are actually fairly limited to his established strengths. He doesn't randomly gain new power ups out of nowhere like a lot of heroes tend to.

Either way, Mahouka is less about how Tatsuya deals with the world, it's more about how the world deals with him.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I admit he doesn't gain new powers randomly, as those abilities I mentioned are merely applications of his true abilities. His OP ness is not in the breadth of his powers but the extent and his ability to apply them so effectively they result in ridiculously god like powers. To put it in RPG terms, he's not a character with all stats maxed, let's say at 99, but rather a character that has most stats in single digits and one or two generally overlooked ones way beyond the max, say 1 with a trillion zeros after it, to the extent that the weakness in most stats is trivial in practice.
niknasr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I like Asterisk more than Rakudai.. At least, the concept are more elaborate and more interesting and have endless potential to improve.. But, I think DxD should be in the list, it is one of the most successful anime in High School Magic category to date with the exception of Zero no Tsukaima..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5