• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Glitter Force Awakens

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

If you've ever tried to show Revolutionary Girl Utena to someone and have them refuse to watch it because "the skirts are too short", you'd understand why companies think these changes are necessary. Laughing
Kara Destare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:08 pm Reply with quote
While I haven't watched any episode of the Precure franchise, I have at least seen the first half of episode 1 for GF (I stopped as I got bored). From just that however I did get a few thoughts.

The changes made in Glitter Force do feel too much for this day and age, which feels odd for me to say as I still enjoy watching Cardcaptors and even Mew Mew Power among many other dubs from that era.

Back then was really before the rise of the internet so a lot of us had no or little idea what the originals were like, we just wanted something to watch after school and it did somehow make sense to help sell toys.

Now however, we do have sites like Crunchyroll and the power of social media. Even a lot of young kids nowadays, which GF is aimed at, are smart enough to know where to go in order to find our more about these shows. So odds are good that at least a few kids will watch GF, look it up online, find out about Precure and may check that out.

I think Rizuchan said it best in regards to Digimon, it didn't feel the need to Americanize every little detail. I still remember watching the Angewoman/Ladydevimon slap fight back in the day and not seeing anything wrong with it (boy was I innocent back then lol).

I fully understand that sometimes edits do need to be made in order for a show to meet a certain standard but I feel like that standard is getting more and more ridiculous every year.

Sorry if this comes across as nonsense, I find it hard to get my thoughts across sometimes.

P.S.
I didn't mind the GF opening theme but all the rest of the music I heard SUCKED, I really wish they could have kept the original BGM at least. Even though I've never heard it I know it would have been better than that awful stock music.

P.P.S.
This reminds me of the main thing that bugged me in the K-ON dub, why did they say money amounts in dollars instead of yen but keep everything else as it was?
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I actually agree that in a weird way, it's sort of nostalgic.

Is it weird that I kinda miss 4kids? I liked that they were the one target all anime fans universally made fun of...And that resulted in so many great things

God, I can't believe Casey and Friends is almost 10 years old...

Also yes, I loved how the old seasons of Digimon didn't try to hide the fact that the characters are Japanese. I think the nickname approach Digimon did was the most the ideal kids localization method.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch Glitter Force and could only make it into half an episode before I was turned off. I found the voice actress for Cure Happy to be super annoying, and I about puked when she mentioned something to the effect of "This is my favorite part of the dream...girl power and make-up!". I didn't want to watch what they did to Cure Sunny and Peace.

(I also find myself yelling out the Japanese version of the transformation when the girls transform)

Granted, I'm not the target audience. But I wasn't when Sailor Moon was released either, yet I latched on to that show. Maybe because Sailor Moon didn't feel as stupid? As an older viewer, you knew that there was more to the plot than monsters of the day, and that there would be a final battle along the way that would tie up the loose ends and spell out the big picture. Even watching the confusing Cardcaptors dub, you knew there was something a lot deeper to just "Sah-KOO-ra", Lee and Madison running around, capturing cards. I don't feel that way with Glitter Force. I mean, yeah, there's a final battle, but it's not as if we discover that the Cures are reincarnations of some past force of awesomeness and are trying to prevent some major badness from takin over.

I would like for Y7 programming to stop treating young children as if they're incredibly stupid. There's a lot of well traveled, savvy 7 year olds out there. It would be nice if shows would cater to them.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I actually watched some episodes of Glitter Force and the cheesy Westernization made me feel like a kid again. It is so unbearable how classic 90s Magical Girl it is, but there's a charm to it. Plus there are some fun lines like "Well...A wolf in a onesie."

Honestly I don't have anything against Westernization and will even defend companies like 4Kids till the day I die. I guess because I appreciate them for my childhood, even if they have done wrong (The DoReMi, Tokyo Mew Mew, and One Piece dub deserve all the ridicule they get and more.)

Is it necessary? No, but I don't find much wrong with it depending on the show. Example- changing the names in an anime like Pokemon? It's fantasy world that's not ours, so in my opinion changing the names to one that suits your language will not change the overall feel of the show.

But changing everything Japanese in Tokyo Mew Mew so it doesn't look like they're in Japan even if it's painfully obvious that they are? That's not okay.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
fathergoat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
What really confuses me is the amount of parents that will complain about a cartoon being "too sexy" but let their kid play GTA before taking them to see deadpool. I swear that seems to happen a lot. I chalk it up to this stupid idea that cartoons are pure, wholesome entertainment for children. People just won't let go of that.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm already watching Smile at the moment, and have no plans to watch Glitter Force anytime soon. I've seen a majority of the Precure series, but I've left the fandom because most of it is a cesspool of whiny Tumblr-worshipping social justice warriors who create drama and attack people over the stupidest things, and it was making me miserable. I've loved Digimon and Pokemon since I was a kid, and still do in spite of the cheesy, pointless edits. But I don't get why they need to Westernize it at all. It's not like different cultures are actively hurting children that are watching them, like murderers butchering their victims with knives. Do dubbers really think kids won't be interested in learning about other parts of the world? When I was a kid and got into anime, I was amazed at how anime didn't hesitate in killing off characters, presenting serious issues that most kids shows nowadays don't even touch, and showing that the world and people aren't always perfect or peachy keen.

On a side note...I don't watch the new Yu-Gi-Oh shows, but...I actually kinda like those long, poofy skirts in those screenshots. I'm not a fan of miniskirts. If others like them, that's fine, but I just find those short skirts to be extremely revealing.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:51 pm Reply with quote
To me, "westernizing" an anime sounds like a prank. Whenever I think of that I think of a dark age of english dubbing. I thought we were passed this sort of ordeal but then it just HAPPENED to be one of my favorite animes ever, Smile Precure, to still get this treatment.

I have checked Glitter Force and I hate it with a passion because... well, the dub cast is actually quite good. So good that I find it extremely disappointing that they're even in this edited version of the show. The rest is just a big 'no'.

What I also have never been able to stand is changing the BGM. How is that even in the least bit necessary.

Oh well, at least 4Kids is still a great source for youtube poops, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
If there's one positive thing that I can say about the English version of Digimon, it's that Saban didn't hide the fact that the show took place in Japan. However, I'm still baffled by the arbitrary name changes of most of the human characters.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Glitter Force's existence is entirely pointless.If you are striking an exclusive deal with a FREAKING STREAMING PLATFORM,what's the point of making all those changes and CUTTING EIGHT FREAKING EPISODES as if you're attending FCC's standards for saturday morning broadcast?
And if you are not going to give the original series as an alternative for those who want it on Netflix,then Glitter Force can crash and burn for all I care.
What's worse: pretty much every western country that has Netflix is stuck with this version,including Italy,where the Precure franchise has been always popular from the beggining and didn't do the same bullshit that Saban is doing to Smile,but now they have to bear with it along with the rest of the world...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawatt wrote:
If there's one positive thing that I can say about the English version of Digimon, it's that Saban didn't hide the fact that the show took place in Japan. However, I'm still baffled by the arbitrary name changes of most of the human characters.

That was probably to keep them easy to remember. They were probably worried kids would have a hard time remembering/pronouncing a bunch of Japanese names. They'd be right too. Even as a young adult, I have difficulty keeping up with the names in certain anime (Bleach especially).

That's kinda what they did with Ronin Warriors. They kept the Japanese setting, and even let the characters have Japanese names, but they made sure they were easier to remember and pronounce. For instance they changed Nasuti Yagyu to "Mia Koji."
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
I watched what's available of Glitter Force and found it really charming. Some of the early script edits are blatant enough that I spotted them without seeing the original, I really dug the sillies rewrites and it was clear the voice actors were having a blast - Laura Bailey in particular hammed it up pretty hard.

Only downside is how they completely Americanized the setting - Especially when Digimon was so open about keeping the Japanese setting and a handful of names - or at least kept their original names in mind, like Yamato being called Matt. Even Digimon Fusion let the characters keep their Japanese last names, and that was the most heavily edited season. Just made for a lot of unnecessary hoop jumping when the Precure kids went to visit Kyoto and it was dubbed as some kind of city-wide Asian culture fest.

Even weirder when I'm pretty sure Beyblade leaves a lot of the names alone and it seems to have done fine.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:15 pm Reply with quote
At first as a franchise fan i was apprehensive but okay. But then they kept piling on more and more changes and edits. And the most criminal of all was when they decided to extract the most emotionally impactful episodes. At that point it truly became the localizers looking down on their audience. Fresh Precure had an episode with the same plot and was also better (it aired several years prior), in fact most of "Smile!" were recycled plots with cleaner colors and animation.

I think they took Smile to convert because it was at the time one of the more harmless and safe seasons of the show. They'd probably use HaCha as a sequel, however that show has outfits for some girls based on their region. Which is a huge no-no.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
That's kinda what they did with Ronin Warriors. They kept the Japanese setting, and even let the characters have Japanese names, but they made sure they were easier to remember and pronounce. For instance they changed Nasuti Yagyu to "Mia Koji."

But then how does one explain these name changes in Digimon Tamers?

JP: Takato Matsuda -> ENG: Takato Matsuki

JP: Jenrya Lee -> ENG: Henry Wong

JP: Ruki Makino -> ENG: Ruki Nonaka

Their initial names are no harder to pronounce than most three or four-syllable names but they get replaced anyway. If anything, where some would have a simpler time remembering most characters because of the name replacements, others would have a harder time remembering which character is which for that same reason.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
There's the thing, American kids shows like Gravity Falls and Steven Universe don't talk down to their audience, I don't get why anime dubs still have to.

The reason anime caught on with kids back then was because kids cartoons at the time, with the exception of a few shows like Samurai Jack, were either pure comedy where everything returns to the status quo by the next episode, or 30 minute toy commercials... Nowadays it's the other way around. The kids who grew up during the anime boom are now making their own cartoons that take a few cues from the anime the creators liked, but all the anime currently marketed to children are 30 minute toy commercials.

Last edited by ninjamitsuki on Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7