• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - The Glitter Force Awakens

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Glitter Force is a travesty and a throwback to an era we as anime fans should not be revisiting. It is already bad that the US will never have access legally to Pretty Cure but if the situation were that well it wouldn't be so tragic for the rest of us. As it stands, the Japanese will not license anymore Pretty Cure to anybody, the only available version worldwide is Glitter Force. And it is shit. Why must we suffer for an American television constraint ? It's beyond ridiculous. In Italy for instance we've had Pretty Cure on the national broadcaster channel for many years. We've got the real deal. And now because of the Americans we can't license anymore Pretty Cure but must use Glitter Force instead. It's like Sailor Moon and One Piece all over again. Americans enforcing their stupid moral code on the rest of us wether we want it or not. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Well with Sailor Moon and One Piece, nobody outside of the US got these versions anyway. Same with Digimon.

From what I know anyway, little girl shows don't do well anymore internationally anyway. Only Italy got Pretty Cure, the rest of Europe gave up on children anime after Doremi and Cardcaptor Sakura, because the general audience that watches Anime is too old. I thought the same would be for Italy eventually, tough I guess the affinity for girlie shows crosses generational gaps since the 80's there.
I think Glitter Force will be forgotten quickly.

American Censorship is always the most dubios of them all anyway. It's a childrens show anyways.

France handling of anime back then was pretty funny. France was the first to get anime, but nobody knew how to handle it. The broadcasters, the parents everyone didn't like those sexy and violent Japanese cartoons. They just imported everything that was a hit on Daytime TV at Japan during that time because it was cheap (and during that period, Japan had ALOT of what could be considered objectionable content),, and France just dubbed/cutted everything wierdly around to make it kids appropriate, even tough visual wise it wasn't. With that they also created the first abriged shows with Fist of the North Star and City Hunter. They went as far to air Onisama E, a drama clearly aimed at an older audience, full of suicides and what not.

In Germany, censorship was very abstract. For some reason, they one day thought that 4kids is great, and make possibly the worst worldwide version of Naruto and Dragon Ball GT. In GT they cut tons of stuff (13 Episodes and more in episodes). What's sad is they thought Anime doesnt work on TV anymore because of the bad ratings that Naruto got. It's wierd, because the German equavielnt to the FCC, is VERY LENIENT. Just as an example Ranma 1/2, Detective Conan and Dragon Ball are actually considered unproblematic to an Y7 audience there, so it makes the German Naruto version a very strange split.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:17 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Between Glitter Force which is revisioned to heck and back and Miraculous which is practically a straight transliteration from the French, I think we have the entire localization spectrum covered in 2016.

Has a non Japanese foreign show ever been heavily altered like anime is in America? All the American dubs of European shows I've seen are pretty straightforward. Probably because there's not much difference between European and American animation for children unlike Japan where kid shows can have tons of violent or sexual content. In fact I think in most of those cases the American dubs are handled by the original company as was the case with Code Lyoko. European cartoons originally made with foreign audiences in mind so there's not much that would need to be localized for understanding and content wise European cartoons or about the same as America. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a straight adaption for anime on Nick and Disney. Anime is made specifically for Japanese audiences which is why localizers have to go to town on them to make it appropriate for American kids
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I hope this fails, and it fails HARD. I hope Netflix looses a lot of money on this. I'd rather not have anything licensed then have it turned into this POS.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Guile, anime is not always for Japanese audiences, specifically. Obviously, most anime targets the Japanese or it wouldn't be anime. GITS, Escaflowne the Movie, Big O, IGPX, the new Yugioh movie and several others were made with international audiences in mind. Also, I do not think localization means what you think it does. If anime localized, you wouldn't be able to watch the damn thing! Subtitles are localization, no matter how they're done.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Has a non Japanese foreign show ever been heavily altered like anime is in America? All the American dubs of European shows I've seen are pretty straightforward.

I believe Winx Club got a really bad American hackdub despite an accurate English dub already existing in Europe.
GOTZFAUST

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Guile, anime is not always for Japanese audiences, specifically. Obviously, most anime targets the Japanese or it wouldn't be anime. GITS, Escaflowne the Movie, Big O, IGPX, the new Yugioh movie and several others were made with international audiences in mind. Also, I do not think localization means what you think it does. If anime localized, you wouldn't be able to watch the damn thing! Subtitles are localization, no matter how they're done.

Yeah but those aren't kids shows.

There have been phases were Japan made things for an international audience (kids in Europe and Japan), which are the World Masterpiece Theatre titles.

Nowadays, merchandise shows like Pokemon, Bakugan etc. are pretty much made also with overseas audiences in mind.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
I believe Winx Club got a really bad American hackdub despite an accurate English dub already existing in Europe.

I'm completely unaware that Winx Club had an European English version. How was it?
Adamanto

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Adamanto wrote:

I'm completely unaware that Winx Club had an European English version. How was it?

I haven't seen either English dub, just the Norwegian one, but my understanding is that RAI produced the English dub themselves for the Canadian and UK markets, and also distributed it to all foreign licensors in place of the Italian original to make it easier to translate into other languages, and that it's a fairly straight translation of the Italian original without any strange rewrites or anything.

Wikipedia tells me it got released on DVD in Canada two years ago, so track it down if you're curious, I guess.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:39 pm Reply with quote
For me,I don't have a problem with this. A lot of other countries do this. Why should the USA be any different?
Freyanne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Adamanto wrote:

I haven't seen either English dub, just the Norwegian one, but my understanding is that RAI produced the English dub themselves for the Canadian and UK markets, and also distributed it to all foreign licensors in place of the Italian original to make it easier to translate into other languages, and that it's a fairly straight translation of the Italian original without any strange rewrites or anything.
That's it, basically.
IIRC, there are/were four english-language dubs:

Rai English (as called by fans; aired outside the US): which covered the first four seasons.
4Kids dub : which aired back when the show came out in the States on the FoxBox/4KidsTV , which covered the first three season. And it was edited quite a bit.
Nickelodeon dub: when Nick got the rights to WC, they had four specials that covered the first two seasons, and fully dubbed Seasons 3 thru 6 along with both movies (BUT the second movie was highly edited to where it took out 30 to 45 minutes worth of footage. Still mad about that, personally.) AFAIK, their seasons werent edited that much, outside of not mentioning that a few of the characters are/were engaged to their boyfriends. Nick still currently airs the show on Nick Jr, but they arent producing the dub themselves anymore.
And finally, the current new US dub: which is going from season 7 onwards and has VAs that worked on the current Pokemon dub, so I am assuming it's that same company dubbing it.
From my understanding, they use the US dubs when airing the show in Europe, as far as English language versions goes.

Plus, the European English/ RAI English dub for the first two seasons are currently out on DVD and on Netflix, last I checked. It's not a bad dub, save for some things here and there. As a long time Winx Club fan, one thing I liked more in the 4Kids/Nick dubs was Bloom's (main character) voice.
Chester McCool

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:18 pm Reply with quote
GOTZFAUST wrote:
Nowadays, merchandise shows like Pokemon, Bakugan etc. are pretty much made also with overseas audiences in mind.

But both of those series are still censored. Yu-Gi-Oh too. Very horribly as those skirt pictures show us. They probably don't even care about American audiences outside of whatever money the merchandise brings in. The actual writers and creators of the shows certainly don't tailor the shows towards American tastes at least. Merchandise shows especially seem to be made with Japan in mind giving out differently they're always handled when it comes to dubbing them and hacking them up. The Japanese toys are also much higher quality than the US ones. I guess whoever handles the toys in America went for some cheapo manufacturer to maximize profits.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a huge fan of these old westernizations (as long as they are old and don't come back), not only because they themselves are charming in their own way, but also how "lucky" we Latin Americans sometimes are.

For example, in Yu Yu Hakusho, not only did it have amazing voice actors (except maybe for Yusuke), the opening and ending were ALWAYS in Japanese, and no one cared. Like English speakers, we too have a distnict way to pronounce Japanese, but for us it is slightly easier, except we sometimes fudge up the accent or the speed (Yusuke is called Yuske here, the u is almost silent), however the techniques were all in Japanese, except if the translation was very easy.

In YYH we don't have Spirit Gun, it's the original Reigan, not Spirit Wave, but Reikou Hadou, not Black Dragon of whatever, but Jao Ensatsu Kokuryuha. We do have the equivalente of Rose Whip or Spirit Sword.

Other case would be Dragon Ball, in the English versión most attacks except Kamehameha are in English, like Spirit Bomb, Special Beam Cannon, and in fact "Saiyan" is a translation of "Saiyajin", all of these were not translated in the Latin versión, unlike the Spanish version. It gets to the point in which we didn't even translate Galick Ho, the dubber just went and screamed like that. One of my favorites would be the Kikoho (Neo Triangle Beam or what you call it), the voice of that Tenshinhan still resonates in me.

And the last up hand we might have is insert songs and openings. Most American openings are 1 minute long or even shorter, and butches down most of the insert songs, in our case, we could very well have the whole thing in Japanese, or a direct translation of the original song, while the insert songs are left untouched and make no mistake, everyone gets pumped as HELL when they hear Brave Heart in Shaman King as everyone kicks ass, and also everyone would sing along the latin american version of Pegasus Fantasy, or any Inuyasha Opening.

Other than that, I must hand it to Americans for having the best localization in Yu-GI-Oh! names, while giving it the most ridiculous censorship and adaptation for an already ridiculous (yet great) series. The invisible guns still crack me up, really
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Honestly, I hope this fails, and it fails HARD. I hope Netflix looses a lot of money on this. I'd rather not have anything licensed then have it turned into this POS.

Well, considering Glitter Force/Smile Precure's dub is already having quite the following, and I don't think its gonna fail, its a little too late for that.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Glitter Force back on Saturday and found it to be pretty cheesy, yet it was also entertaining. I especially loved the voice acting! They must've had loads of fun with their roles!

As for my opinion on edits of kids anime, editing content for censorship is very understandable. However, I'm totally not okay with name changes, character personality changes, the background music being re-scored, and replacing most of the Japanese culture with American culture (though I'm alright with Japanese pop culture references being changed since most of it will fly over American viewers' heads). Most of the these edits are so freaking archaic and needs to stop being done to kids anime. Kids can accept foreign culture and I can guarantee that they won't get discouraged of watching an anime series just because it's "too foreign". Other countries don't do such edits nowadays (unless if they use the English dub as the source material of their dub), so it doesn't make since that some anime dubbing companies in North America are still stuck on that Americanizing mindset.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Chester McCool wrote:
GOTZFAUST wrote:

But both of those series are still censored. Yu-Gi-Oh too. Very horribly as those skirt pictures show us. They probably don't even care about American audiences outside of whatever money the merchandise brings in. The actual writers and creators of the shows certainly don't tailor the shows towards American tastes at least. Merchandise shows especially seem to be made with Japan in mind giving out differently they're always handled when it comes to dubbing them and hacking them up. The Japanese toys are also much higher quality than the US ones. I guess whoever handles the toys in America went for some cheapo manufacturer to maximize profits.

Wrong. These are international franchises. Give it a rest, TitanXL. You're a horrible economist. If I were the Pokemon company, I would never ask for your economic advice. Secondly, Bakugan is a co-production.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7