• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Police Arrest 44 in 3 Days for Alleged File-Sharing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
LimeWire? Shocked Which year am i living in?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanyo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
It's cool to see there are people 50+ who enjoy anime and manga.
I'm only 19, I hope by the time I'm that age I'll still enjoy anime and manga. Laughing
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Manga is pretty much a standard form of fiction consumed in Japan.

One Piece manga is read by people from ages 5 to 75, it is like Spielberg's movies in the US.

This is a breakdown of the demographics who read one piece, most are between 19 and 49:

Live action though is more popular than animation, at least in terms of TV ratings although animation is more popular in terms of Blu Ray sales and Internet streaming: computer Nerds are the consumers of animation.

Overall, though that in Japan cartoons in general (printed or animated) are a fully developed artistic/entertainment medium. Although live action is still alive and well, although most of it are manga adaptations anyway: out of the 30 highest grossing Japanese films from 2009 to 2013, 14 were anime and 8 were live action manga adaptations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
I think that if this was in the USA, companies would be going after them harder. That is, because you have the IP extremists like the Disney Empire. Though I do frequent copyright-infringing streaming sites, I at least make sure I don't give them payments.
VinceA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Sanyo wrote:
It's cool to see there are people 50+ who enjoy anime and manga.
I'm only 19, I hope by the time I'm that age I'll still enjoy anime and manga. Laughing

Yes, you may. I'm 49, still watch recent anime, read manga... and help run an anime convention. Oh, and I'm married with kids... who watch anime & read manga. It's a never-ending cycle Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
VinceA wrote:
Yes, you may. I'm 49, still watch recent anime, read manga... and help run an anime convention. Oh, and I'm married with kids... who watch anime & read manga. It's a never-ending cycle Smile

It gets funny when one of your grandchildren talks about how some of their friends prefer to watch anime with subtitles and some prefer to watch anime dubbed.

PS, if you haven't seen it, this is a good anti-piracy advertisement from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6JK7dEwIw
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
PS, if you haven't seen it, this is a good anti-piracy advertisement from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw6JK7dEwIw

Interesting. Not very often that I see one centered around the positive aspects of paying for your media; almost all are about the negative aspects of not paying for it.

Physical video rental stores still exist in Australia?
omiya

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Physical video rental stores still exist in Australia?

A few do. Blame the lack of decent broadband and slow postal service for them surviving.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3