• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cross Ange Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Forgot Sentai had the license to this one. Would have been surprised if had been released subbed-only, as it seemed to be pretty popular and is closer to mainstream than a lot of sub-only titles that they have put out.

Don't see it as CN series, though. The fan service aspect is too heavy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I was NOT expecting this show to EVER get a dub. It was good, for what it was, but there are certain scenes, especially early on in the series, which will be VERY interesting to hear dubbed, if you know what I mean. At least we are guaranteed an uncensored home video release, right?

I guess Sentai will have to bust out their best voice actresses for this one, and I'm sure Monica Rial will factor in here somewhere. Perhaps we can get Hilary Haag and Luci Christian somewhere in this one as well?
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic release slate for July, lots of dubs and that makes me very happy! Will definitely buy the Hakuoki bluray (truly hope Sentai releases S1 and 2 only bluray, it needs it!) Cross ange I'll check out too. Anything with a dub I look forward to seeing.

Though when is Sentai going to finally release Amagi Brilliant Park? Hopefully in Sentai's July state but it's one title I'm super excited to see. Sentai's hinting at a CE for it which would be amazing but as long as it gets a dub I'll be happy Anime smile
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Wake Up, Girls! links to the TV series, but going by the price and runtime listed, their June release is likely only the movie. I assume they will release the TV series in a later month, though, because they have been streaming it on Hulu for a while now.

Thanks for the heads up! I was starting to wonder when their WUG release was coming. I'm surprised they are splitting up the movie and series release, but that's okay. I'm just thrilled to get some kind of confirmation that they are doing it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Cross Ange was so much fun to watch, I'm not even kidding. It's the perfect popcorn-anime. I had so much fun talking o people about each episode. And was it ever a crazy ride. It's like when someone tells a really boring story and then SUDDENLY DRAGONS AND NINJAS!!!

9/10 for this show, for the pure, unapologetic fun it is. If you want to be entertained, you watch Cross Ange.
Shiro Neko

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
About freaking time they release Love Stage!! Very Happy A little disappointed that it's not getting a dub but I hope they release it with the Love Stage OVA.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
AbZeroNow wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Steve Blum and Wendee Lee better be a part of this dub. For obvious reasons, of course.

It's almost guaranteed that they won't as Sentai will cast Houston actors not out-of-town LA actors.

And definitely not union VAs in Blum's case.

They could always get him to bring in David Lucas. Rolling Eyes
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Booty] Ange is coming to a country near you. Get hyped!
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Well, not surprised that Cross Ange is getting a dub. I'm sure that isn't controversial at all.

considering that they did not only commissioned an english dub version for infinite stratos, but also samurai girls & samurai bride , it had to almost be a given for this series to get an english dub since it looks like that the sales for the sub version is done decent enough to warrant one.

now the question is who will be doing the dub? will it be a new cast or will it be the usual ADV/Funimation vets?

And if that ends up being the case which it usually is, considering the nature of this series, will the cast do a samurai girls/samurai bride and use aliases instead of their real names?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I want to know Hilda's VA, she's my favorite character. Anime hyper
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I suspected that CROSS ANGE was most likely getting a dub. And people should not be shocked by it because at the end f the day sex (even if it has abuse and sensationalist aspects) sells.

Even with its issues I still liked CA. The inclusion of a dub might make me want to buy it.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Cross Ange is getting released with a dub AWESOME! I was hoping that it would but something was nagging in the back of my head that it probably wouldn't well Thank God that little voice inside my head was wrong. Very Happy
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
considering the nature of this series, will the cast do a samurai girls/samurai bride and use aliases instead of their real names?

Who had the best alias: Ben Wabal, Mina Jetoi, or Ophelia Cox? (Also, bonus points if you get what the name "Vestal Vee" refers to.)

That said, there's a good chance Cross Ange could wind up on Toonami. Dub premieres are guaranteed to bring in viewers, for one thing. Also, considering how well Akame ga Kill performed and how well Parasyte is still performing in terms of ratings, Sentai Filmworks would do very well to get more shows on the block.
TheAAA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Out of all of their recent licenses, I honestly think this one is the most likely to be pitched to Toonami. Kill La Kill ran on the block with minimal edits, and aside from that scene we all know and love there's not much to Cross Ange that's any worse KLK from a purely visual standpoint. Contextually there's definitely a bit more there to offend but that kind of stuff has never really stopped Toonami in the past. Plus they have a history of running mecha stuff. Given the comparisons to Code Geass I think Cross Ange has a decent shot.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
TheAAA wrote:
Given the comparisons to Code Geass I think Cross Ange has a decent shot.

I wouldn't say so. They have almost nothing in common and most fans of that show aren't remotely interested in this one (myself included). It's more likely to appeal to different sectors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5