• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Store: Hikari & Angewomon GEM Figure Cancelled in West; Not 'Child-Friendl

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mewzard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
MarkFlrs wrote:
Shouldn't we blame the Tumblrinas, Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, and the Es-Jay-Dubya psychos for this kind of madness?

They did came for DOAX3, Street Fighter V, and the new Fire Emblem game. They came after Hollywood and the Western music industry. Now I'm afraid they're coming after the anime industry.

Because of Es-Jay-Dubyas, we can't even have nice things. Crying or Very sad

Except in most of those instances (and the one we're discussing), it was the companies who owned the rights to release such products choosing either not to release or self-censor.

Let's not start the ridiculous leap to calling out people (in a dismissive way) like you're talking about the boogieman or something.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_auTqzMbfwg

they are just stating the obvious... since comparing to the one in the anime..
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If they were somewhat aware of that, they could have made it with a more modest pose in the first place. I would have totally still bought it.

Original rights holder in this case can mean a few things. It's entirely possible that an American company like Saban asked the original creators not to release it here to protect the family friendly image of the brand in America. While it is true there was little censorship done to Angewomon back in the day outside of her slap fight with LadyDevimon being cut, that was almost two decades ago. Censorship has changed to the point any Digimon character with cleavage is being censored on the Digimon Xros Wars dub. Standards are more strict these days.

-Stuart Smith
Guntank81

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh no a the female body will offend the children

I am not surprised this got cancelled considering how things have been getting censored and how touchy people have been when it comes to "sexualized" characters in the west.

People can still get the figure from amiami though
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Guessing a lot of One Piece figures will get cancelled someday as well.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm not sure how kid-friendly a $100+ figure was in the first place.
wouldn't statue be more appropriate since they aren't exactly jointed "figures" I honestly find this amusing they're canceling the release because of angewoman's risque look yet in the US you can see worse on the streets, well not all over the US but in some places

Figure is the general term used by collectors and manufacturers. Subtitles and non collector anime fans often use figurine, which is almost as grating as someone calling anime cartoons. Statue is rarely used to refer to scale figures such as these. It would be wrong to call them action figures if they aren't jointed, though I sometimes use the term when speaking to non anime fans.

As to it's risquéness or fan servicey ness, it probably qualifies as such, but if you've seen as many...adult figures as I have, it seems rather tame by comparison. I don't buy adult figures myself though, as it would be difficult to explain to visitors.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
if it's just angewomon then i think they will not have any problem with it.. but when you have a young child figure along with it

that's the only difference with this and the other figures
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Uhhh...Angewomon's been like that since the show's inception! Nobody complained about her looks back then! Why complain about it now? Besides, I don't see what's wrong with it. I swear, people these days just LOVE inventing problems for things that are perfectly fine.

This.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I'm not sure how kid-friendly a $100+ figure was in the first place.

Didn't event think of it at first, but this too. Cancelling it is so stupid.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Guessing a lot of One Piece figures will get cancelled someday as well.

There goes all the bathing suit Nami, Robin, Hancock and female Trafalgar Law (that last one is real, not sure if it's up for sale yet).

In all seriousness I seriously doubt it will happen. Digimon is more child oriented though with significant adult fans by now. One Piece has always sexed up the female characters especially in the proportions so I doubt anyone would confuse figures of them as "child friendly"
ohstalon06

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
MarkFlrs wrote:
Shouldn't we blame the Tumblrinas, Sarkeesian, Brianna Wu, and the Es-Jay-Dubya psychos for this kind of madness?

They did came for DOAX3, Street Fighter V, and the new Fire Emblem game. They came after Hollywood and the Western music industry. Now I'm afraid they're coming after the anime industry.

Because of Es-Jay-Dubyas, we can't even have nice things. Crying or Very sad

Well we almost got to page 4 before the types that want to immediately blame them damn feminists for everything came rolling in... Rolling Eyes

In all seriousness though, this is silly beyond reason. If this is indeed Bandai/Toei's doing then its just crap because they know they are doing statues like this are CLEARLY meant for 20-something adults who grew up with the original Adventure series, so the whole excuse of 'making sure its a kids franchise' is utter crap off the bat. Not to mention all you've done is just bring negative attention to you by doing this because, much like the quote I just brought up, you're gonna have the unreasonable side of the internet immediately blame them when they more than likely had no idea something like this happened.

I see no way enterprising fans that WANT this figure will be stopped by a silly decision like this. Much like the decision by KT to not bring over a poorly selling fanservice 'volleyball' game, there are ways around it as some have shared on this thread. And before anyone paints me with an Shonen Jump Weekly brush, have it be known that I disagree quite strongly with certain points of the aforementioned, but I also believe the vitriol they have received is part of the reason this climate exists now, in short we have no one to blame but ourselves for the current state of things.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Well I dont know what parent would buy that for there kid in the first place its not like its an action figure its a collectible
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I deleted some posts in case people are wondering why some original posts that were quoted are suddenly gone. I've left them in the posts that quoted them for now. But let's not turn this thread into an off-topic pro- or anti- social justice debate. If it continues, then more posts are likely to be deleted.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Huh. And I didn't order this 'because I didn't like the little Hikari. Thought she interfered with Angewoman's awesomeness and sexiness...
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually the first to laugh at self-righteous otaku who want to say any opportunity to not buy a T&A-oriented product is SINSURSHIP, but... yeah, this is a bit ridiculous. No child was going to buy it in the first place, and how many people even knew this figure existed in the first place? A tad puritanical, not gonna lie.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:44 pm Reply with quote
If they are wanting to make it more kid-friendly, then they should've just skipped making this toy entirely. The company that made this toy knows that Angewomon is already showing cleavage in the anime, so I find this is a little hypocritical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7