• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Sun & Moon Unveiled for 3DS in Holiday 2016

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know a single good trainer who tries to literally catch every Pokemon. That's meaningless. It's a meaningless catchphrase for the games that just keeps the players busy doing nothing of value, constantly looking for trades, etc.

Everyone plays the game differently and for different reasons. For some people, the collecting is the game. For others, it's about building a team of favorites. It might not matter to you, but it's far from "meaningless."
ZetaZaku

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:37 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
I guess this pretty much guarantees that Ash won't be winning the Kalos League.

Well no shit Sherlock. Laughing If he wins the series ends.

Well i hope he comes in 2nd place at least. He has one OP team In XY&Z and I'd hate to see him only make the top 5-16 again =/

You know the drill by now. No matter how strong his team is, the opponent will either pull out a legendary or unknown Gen 7 Pokemon and beat him by "cheating". People tend to be really hard on him, but most of the time Ash lost, it was really cheap, like pulling out a Blaziken on him, or Darkrai and Latios. Even his first league loss was kind of "cheap" since Charizard was a pain in the ass. It's just his destiny to never win, and the show will throw all kind of bullshit at him to prevent him from winning, even if he's OP during the season.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
Once again agreeing with Penguintruth. Pokemon players are being played like an MMO. New content comes out, play it out to completion. Rinse and repeat. While the smart ones just play with the pokemon that clearly have quality in design or moveset and not worry on anything else while having free time later to play other games instead of spending hours upon hours in the trade room dealing with an auction house of legendaries for simple critter. Or in the BS breeding room for perfect stats because screw skill. Its all bout dem stats.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Because even rehashes play very differently from what they're based on. Trying to use Gigalith the way you'd use Golem will only get you annihilated and vice versa. (Trust me, I considered both for an online team and hadn't realized how differently they play in subtle ways until then.)

Well whoopty do. Nintendo wasted time with a rehashed pokemon with a different moveset that can still be one shot by my Vaporeon or Leafeon. Maybe they should spend more time actually giving the badass original that's not a fusion of metagross and nosepass a boost or mega evolution that isn't so easily killable by my Eevee evolutions that are supposedly not workable as a team in competitive play because screw common sense for pokemon under a family evolution tree having top tier synergy.

Quote:
I also like most of the Generation V designs. The rehashes were definitely done for gameplay reasons, not lack of creativity: They're needed to fulfill the idea that Unova would have no Pokémon from previous generations until the credits roll. Some of the ones people seem to dislike, like the Vanillite line, I find hilarious.

Doing it for one reason has opened up numerous plot holes. Humans have been known to bring animals from across regions, or certain animals migrating to another country/habitat. Its impossible to have newer regions that wouldn't have previous pokemon if the lore in that region clearly states that there are laws in place to not allow pokemon from different regions messing up or being a part of the natures habitat. So there's little point in complaining, besides. Its also a benefit for the producers in NOT making copies of previous pokemon. Which is what Vanillite is a symbol of, a hilarious lack of creativity and common sense in gameplay.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:26 pm Reply with quote
ZetaZaku wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
I guess this pretty much guarantees that Ash won't be winning the Kalos League.

Well no shit Sherlock. Laughing If he wins the series ends.

Well i hope he comes in 2nd place at least. He has one OP team In XY&Z and I'd hate to see him only make the top 5-16 again =/

You know the drill by now. No matter how strong his team is, the opponent will either pull out a legendary or unknown Gen 7 Pokemon and beat him by "cheating". People tend to be really hard on him, but most of the time Ash lost, it was really cheap, like pulling out a Blaziken on him, or Darkrai and Latios. Even his first league loss was kind of "cheap" since Charizard was a pain in the ass. It's just his destiny to never win, and the show will throw all kind of bullshit at him to prevent him from winning, even if he's OP during the season.
I don't see why the show would have to end if Ash won. Goku eventually won the Strongest Under the Heavens tournament at the end of Dragon Ball and kept training. And the series continued as Dragon Ball Z.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Well whoopty do. Nintendo wasted time with a rehashed pokemon with a different moveset that can still be one shot by my Vaporeon or Leafeon. Maybe they should spend more time actually giving the badass original that's not a fusion of metagross and nosepass a boost or mega evolution that isn't so easily killable by my Eevee evolutions that are supposedly not workable as a team in competitive play because screw common sense for pokemon under a family evolution tree having top tier synergy.

Why would I bright my Gigalith up against a Vaporeon or a Leafeon without some sort of backup? (Gigalith also has Sturdy, so unless Gigalith is Poisoned, Burned, it's hailing, someone has Mold Breaker, or something else, Gigalith cannot be one-shot.) I also always keep in mind any particular Pokémon's worst match-ups when I'm designing a team, which is common sense.

bs3311 wrote:
Doing it for one reason has opened up numerous plot holes. Humans have been known to bring animals from across regions, or certain animals migrating to another country/habitat. Its impossible to have newer regions that wouldn't have previous pokemon if the lore in that region clearly states that there are laws in place to not allow pokemon from different regions messing up or being a part of the natures habitat. So there's little point in complaining, besides. Its also a benefit for the producers in NOT making copies of previous pokemon. Which is what Vanillite is a symbol of, a hilarious lack of creativity and common sense in gameplay.

What's so uncreative about the Vanillite line?

Also, I'm talking about gameplay purposes: Unova is free from previous generation Pokémon until the credits because people have complained in the past about old Pokémon showing up, as they consider that filler. But Unova has caves, mountains, rivers, seas, forests, grasslands, icy regions, ruins, deserts, and so forth, and Pokémon are needed to fulfill these habitats.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
I don't know a single good trainer who tries to literally catch every Pokemon. That's meaningless. It's a meaningless catchphrase for the games that just keeps the players busy doing nothing of value, constantly looking for trades, etc.

Everyone plays the game differently and for different reasons. For some people, the collecting is the game. For others, it's about building a team of favorites. It might not matter to you, but it's far from "meaningless."

NOt to mention that with Pokebank all you have to do is complete it once and then transfer whenever you start a new game. So the chore of completing the Pokedex is over except when they start a new Generation.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:57 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Once again agreeing with Penguintruth. Pokemon players are being played like an MMO. New content comes out, play it out to completion. Rinse and repeat. While the smart ones just play with the pokemon that clearly have quality in design or moveset and not worry on anything else while having free time later to play other games instead of spending hours upon hours in the trade room dealing with an auction house of legendaries for simple critter. Or in the BS breeding room for perfect stats because screw skill. Its all bout dem stats.

I dunno about you, but anyone with competitive skill knows better than to laugh off stats. One point differences can ruin a Pokemon. One missing point in Atk/SpAtk can mean several points of damage at level 50 or 100, resulting in a surviving opponent when they should be done for. Def/SpDef is important to keep you surviving by that 1 or 2 point HP, as is HP. And Spd might be the MOST important in a battle of speedy Pokemon. Outrunning the opponent can mean taking out a threat before they can hit you for more than 50% of your health, assuming they aren't a 1-hit threat. If you're a slow Pokemon, a 0 in spd can be helpful for a Trick Room team.

Welcome to the game of Pokemon, where raising a competitive team takes effort and lots of trial and error. If that seems silly, then you're obviously not into competitive battling. And that would be okay. I have lots of fun with my friends doing what we do. And you could with your friends in your own way. That's how it is.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Camiru Mylle wrote:
It's real!!!? AHAAHAHAHA!! And everyone seems to think it's a fluke.

i'm surprised their releasing the 7th generation right now. pretty much everyone assumed that the next game would be a Z version to feature the True form of Zygarde.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wii800

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
WHY NO POKEMON Z!?!?!?!?!?!

Other than that, the video made me feel SO nostalgic; I just love how the girl elbowed her dad because of the Magikarp.

oh snap is this the first gen that won't get a third game Exclamation
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
wii800 wrote:
oh snap is this the first gen that won't get a third game Exclamation

You forgot Black & White. That was the first generation to break the pattern of having a third version.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
Black 2 and White 2 could technically be the collective third (and fourth) version. They follow the pattern of featuring the third member of that generation's Legendary Trio.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4