• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Can English-Speaking Fans Critique Japanese Voice Acting?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:12 am Reply with quote
Yes, we should all evaluate the Japanese version of anime, because it's the original source material. The original source is universal and is subject to universal praise or condemnation.

Dubs on the other hand are different. Because dubs are localized to certain audiences, only those audiences should have the right to praise or critique them. Let's take English dubs from North America. From what I can tell, based on searching on Amazon.JP, the English dub of Gundam Unicorn seems to be liked a lot. I also know that Tiger and Bunny's English dub is technically more popular in Japan than it is in the US. Does that even matter, though? Do the Japanese even have the right to praise or critique something that is not for them?

I know a lot of dubs have mixed receptions here. That's fine. But why do foreigners feel that they can dictate to me how a good NA English dub should sound like? We don't do it to you, so stop praising/critiquing us.
Getsu

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:42 am Reply with quote
at the end of the day English dubs have a lower barrier then Japanese dubs... that doesn't change the fact that japan has a higher quality standard in anime then the west does... just like how the west has a better quality in there own take legend of Korra or spogebob as an example you never see the people that voice those roles also role a dub in an anime, different classes in voice acting kinda like how you grade a steak in its quality, i always say the original in voice acting of whatever is best in the current age
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Tangentially, I can't stand to listen to Tagalog dubs of stuff that was originally in English. Translation is alway too literal or just Taglish rather than straight Tagalog. The lip-flaps also obviously don't match, unlike Tagalog anime dubs.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
If you saw what passes for comedy on Japanese TV it would be no surprise that Japanese acting is largely mediocre, compared to current-day TV.

Also, voice acting in anime and Japanese games is VERY genre-specific. You can instantly tell anime/game voiceover from any other genre without seeing it. That's just how it is... But you could argue that unnatural means it's bad action, or simply how the genre is.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:13 am Reply with quote
Looneygamemaster wrote:
Quote:
In the original making, animation is matched to a seiyuu, and not the other way around, due to the process of animation.

The only anime to use this process (that I know of) is Akira, Red Garden and parts of Only Yesterday. All other anime is dubbed, even in Japanese, because it's cheaper.

I was surprised Justin didn't mention this in his discussion. Most anime is shot first and dubbed later. That contributes to the stilted nature of anime dialogue as first one character speaks, then another, and so forth. (Shirobako shows this approach in the dubbing scenes.)

Matsuo Kou, the director of Red Garden, used the dialogue first approach in both that show and Kurenai. Episode three of that show demonstrates well how differently a show can sound when the seiyuu perform ensemble in advance and the animators have to adapt their work to fit the voice acting. At one point in that episode there is a three-way conversation, or perhaps better an argument, where Sawashiro Miyuki (voicing the male lead), Shintani Ryoko and Aoi Yuuki (in her first major role) talk over each other and interrupt the flow of the conversation. It sounds remarkably more realistic than most such interactions in anime.

It also costs more to make shows this way which is why we see it so rarely in the resource-constrained world of anime productions for television.

Last edited by yuna49 on Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Should "queues" instead be "cues"?

Quote:
voice acting takes a lot of queues from Japanese classical stage acting

Another thing that affects how you listen to voice actors'/actresses' performances is if you are used to them singing or have actually met them.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
Alkeia wrote:
That being said, this article is full of balogna. One of the first points you bring up, about cues and timing, is quite vague. In the original making, animation is matched to a seiyuu, and not the other way around, due to the process of animation. English dubs often end up more unnatural sounding because they do have to be matched to the timing set by the Japanese seiyuu. The way you put it sounds as if seiyuus time their voice to the animation.

While I appreciate your efforts on defending the seiyuu industry, you seem to be quite misinformed yourself.

As others have mentioned, most recordings are done with the animation barely completed. The seiyuu are most definitely matching lip flaps rather than the other way around. However, ufotable is one of the very very very few (perhaps even the only) Japanese studio who will do things the American way and do the animation after the voice recording so as to match the animation to the acting.

Here is a screenshot from the recording of the last Angel Beats! episode.

This is actually one of the cleaner examples. Like others have said, sometimes the seiyuu only have really rough storyboard sketches to record to. And by rough I mean you can barely make out what's going on. There are also many times where they will change parts of the script right before recording. It's up to the seiyuu to make sure the changes fit the animation timing.

For the most part I agree with what you're saying, but this part here is just plain incorrect.

Alkeia wrote:
Drama CDs are another gateway for seiyuus, and also a real show of their skills, as they have no animation to back up their acting. It's purely reliant on their skills to get the message and emotions across.

I, too, was thinking of drama CDs as I was reading this article as it seems to not take them into any consideration at all. With drama CDs, you have only the voices and sound effects to help you see with the mind's eye what is happening in each scenes. Seiyuu are skillful enough to successfully guide listeners as to what's going on.

Personally I feel that English dubs lack the emotion that the original Japanese conveys. Some seiyuu performances have been so good that they nearly brought me to tears.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is an excellent example of stellar voice work. Ishida Akira and Yamadera Kouichi totally blew my mind with their talent. They are not rakugo performers by profession but I bet they can pull it off if they wanted to, as they have in this series.

Quote:
But a good chunk of the time what I'm hearing isn't really convincing as realistic acting, either. It's "anime voice work," and it usually doesn't need to sound realistic because anime is inherently an unrealistic medium.

I agree, though honestly I haven't come across many series where I thought the acting was unrealistic. If you want an example of "realistic" acting in an unrealistic setting, I recommend Kizumonogatari which Nick recently reviewed. You can FEEL Araragi's terror in the opening scene where all you hear is his heavy breathing. I don't think it could have been more perfect.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Alkeia wrote:
That being said, this article is full of balogna. One of the first points you bring up, about cues and timing, is quite vague. In the original making, animation is matched to a seiyuu, and not the other way around, due to the process of animation. English dubs often end up more unnatural sounding because they do have to be matched to the timing set by the Japanese seiyuu. The way you put it sounds as if seiyuus time their voice to the animation.

While I appreciate your efforts on defending the seiyuu industry, you seem to be quite misinformed yourself.

As others have mentioned, most recordings are done with the animation barely completed. The seiyuu are most definitely matching lip flaps rather than the other way around. However, ufotable is one of the very very very few (perhaps even the only) Japanese studio who will do things the American way and do the animation after the voice recording so as to match the animation to the acting.

Here is a screenshot from the recording of the last Angel Beats! episode.

This is actually one of the cleaner examples. Like others have said, sometimes the seiyuu only have really rough storyboard sketches to record to. And by rough I mean you can barely make out what's going on. There are also many times where they will change parts of the script right before recording. It's up to the seiyuu to make sure the changes fit the animation timing.

For the most part I agree with what you're saying, but this part here is just plain incorrect.

I logged in to explain this as well. Things aren´t like this just because yes, it's because it's the most practical way to do it. If the only thing that will change depending on the dubbing is the flip-flap of the mouths you can make the rest of the work and then when you record the whole thing together you just time the two-three frames of animation to how long the seiyuu is speaking.

If it was the other way around, it would fudge up most of the schedule both for the VA and the animators. There are, of course, exceptions.

First one would be a "mouthless" scene. It's very common to see characters talking even if their mouth is not shown (or they are just thinking), sometimes this is just to emphasize on body language and sometimes to make it easier to animate. Sometimes a seiyuu can really shine when they're not constricted to synchronize their timing with animation (like in Hajime no Ippo, they scream like the wolrd is ending and they never open their mouths)

The second one is a scene so fast the mouth is just an afterthought. It moves so fast you won't notice if there is weird timing in voices (Umakoshi does this a lot in his works). It also applies for those super deformed mouths in which they almost never time the voice with the animation and it doesn't even matter since you're not paying attention at it.

And the third exception is when talking is actually the emphasis of the scene, in which the animator puts more than just two frames for talking (KyoAni and Shaft do this quite a lot), I'm not too sure on how they do that, but I suppose that the rough sketches are way more detailed than usually and those are the ones they are sure to get first so they can make sure the seiyuu can do the scene as per the animation, with little to none changes in the final product.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:03 am Reply with quote
[quote="Kougeru"]
wolf10 wrote:
Back on topic: " That's a major reason why so many people just can't deal with watching a dubbed anime, even if it's a really good dub."

My response to this is that I rarely hear good dubs anymore. Most the best dubs in terms of capturing emotion, believable performances and overall a more genuine sound, seem to be from the late 90s early 00's. I do agree that people's inner voices probably do make JP acting sound better than it really is and there's many popular seiyuu that I find to be "Bad" since they honestly sound the same in every show they're in. But then we have extremely diverse seiyuu like Chiwa Saitou and Yukari Tamura that have proven time and again that they are top tier that no dub can come near. Their time in voice acting school, years of experience, and raw talent are just obvious to me at this point. Overall, I think the problem of dubs vs subs is less that Japanese are "better", and more that the dubs are just bad on average in overall acting ability.

Kougeru, you're wrong. Top tier LA VAs are more than a match for top tier Tokyo Japanese voice actors. It's comparable to Unicorn vs Unicorn Banshee. Both have aspects of superiority, but are overall a match for each other. Or even Wing Zero vs Tallgeese III. The difference in quality is not Strike Freedom vs a Zaku.

That's enough of my Gundam analogies. Anyway, you probably only think this because you're used to English and not Japanese. If you're used to both languages, you want have this issue. "Most dubs and dub voice actors" being bad is a fallacious claim, because you have not WATCHED most dubs and from what I've seen, you don't even give them half a chance, so your opinions on dubs is irrelevant.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
"Most dubs and dub voice actors" being bad is a fallacious claim

Actually, you can easily make similar claim about Japanese dubs as well, just look at Japanese voice overs of Western games or films. There's a reason why Squeenix got so much flak for their dub work on CoD, despite the fact that Japanese public used to watch stuff dubbed in their native language and probably has more tolerance towards dubbing.
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
"It's about ACTING. Not just funny voices. Learn to act." - Rob Paulsen

This holds true regardless of whether the voice acting is in English, Japanese, or any other language. If a voice actor can't actually, you know, act, then what's the point?

On the subject of "doing voices": Not everyone can be Frank Welker, Harry Shearer, or Billy West. Or, for that matter, Steve Blum or Scott McNeil. A lot of Anglophones like to emphasize the "voice" part of voice acting over the actual "acting" part.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
"It's about ACTING. Not just funny voices. Learn to act." - Rob Paulsen

This holds true regardless of whether the voice acting is in English, Japanese, or any other language. If a voice actor can't actually, you know, act, then what's the point?

On the subject of "doing voices": Not everyone can be Frank Welker, Harry Shearer, or Billy West. Or, for that matter, Steve Blum or Scott McNeil. A lot of Anglophones like to emphasize the "voice" part of voice acting over the actual "acting" part.

Agreed. Most English speakers care too much about range. When you strip "range" out of Tara Strong, she is one of the worst voice actors ever. JYB is 10000X times better, despite being the anti-Strong, because his acting is on point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Dubs on the other hand are different. Because dubs are localized to certain audiences, only those audiences should have the right to praise or critique them. Let's take English dubs from North America. From what I can tell, based on searching on Amazon.JP, the English dub of Gundam Unicorn seems to be liked a lot. I also know that Tiger and Bunny's English dub is technically more popular in Japan than it is in the US. Does that even matter, though? Do the Japanese even have the right to praise or critique something that is not for them?

I personally feel that everyone has the right to an opinion over anything they want. They should be allowed to like or dislike something and explain why they like or dislike something. It doesn't have to be a helpful opinion or an informed opinion.

On the flip side, I'd also say a creator, or whoever's in control of something creative if not the creator, has the right to dismiss someone's opinion if they feel it's not helpful or informed. That's why I see no harm in allowing anyone to form whatever opinions they want, even if it's ignorant or even hateful or bigoted.

MajorZero wrote:
Actually, you can easily make similar claim about Japanese dubs as well, just look at Japanese voice overs of Western games or films. There's a reason why Squeenix got so much flak for their dub work on CoD, despite the fact that Japanese public used to watch stuff dubbed in their native language and probably has more tolerance towards dubbing.

I thought that was because the audience for the Call of Duty games in Japan contain a lot of diehard and vocal Americanophiles who consume a lot of English-language media subtitled into Japanese, and that it is their version of the subs-versus-dubs argument.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:01 pm Reply with quote
English-speaking fans certainly can critique Japanese voice acting, it just requires some substantial knowledge of the language to peg it down (and the same can be said of judging any language). Besides the usual nuances such as politeness level and natural speaking vs. actual acting, both genders, every age group and every social class speak in specific ways that most ears can miss, or notice but pay little attention to. Lots of ignorant sub purists assume Japanese actors all sound great by default due to "yelling" and "emotions", but they don't seem to realize how exaggerated most performances are and assume it's just great acting.

I've heard my share of what I know are terrible performances, such as the Japanese voices in Grandia III. Save for Yuuki's actor, who is a well known pro, the rest are either a bunch of unknowns or Japanese TV actors who really didn't fit the bill for voicing anime style RPG characters, and it shows. Doesn't really help when Japan considers the title a kusoge in every aspect either. Star Ocean Last Hope's Japanese voices aren't as great as people seem to think either just because they whine the English dubbed voices were bad (it was the script that was bad, not the actors, but I digress). The entire cast of characters was generic to begin with and therefore had very generic phoned in voices. You can argue that they sound better "because yelling and emotions!", but that is not an indication of anything. If anything, it's a very stereotyped range of Japanese performances for Edge Maverick and his motley crew. Bottom line, the game isn't much better voiced in Japanese.

Ever wonder why old people say "ja" so frequently at the end of their sentences in anime? It's just to tell you that an elderly person typically speaks like that. Hear lots of samurai and honorable knight type characters using "de gozaru"? It just means this is how warriors spoke in the ancient days (though applying polite samurai speaking to European style knights is quite unusual and disjointing). An older male saying "wagahai" at the start of his sentences instead of the usual "ore" or "boku" that most men or boys tend to use in other cases? Older guys with considerable social status and wealth used it a lot back in the day (Bowser speaks in this way in the Mario RPGs).

^And this is just a tiny taste of what you have to consider when you hear characters speaking in Japanese.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I thought that was because the audience for the Call of Duty games in Japan contain a lot of diehard and vocal Americanophiles who consume a lot of English-language media subtitled into Japanese, and that it is their version of the subs-versus-dubs argument.

That very well may be, but this is hardly a pinnacle of voice acting by any stretch of imagination. My take is that fans wanted an authenticity which simply couldn't be delivered through dub, I mean, British accents alone are impossible to replicate in Japanese. The same way Japanese period pieces will be authentical only in Japanese, regardless of how good dub actually is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8