• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Lord Marksman and Vanadis

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It held my attention from start to finish, and it ends on a much stronger note than a lot of light novel adaptations. I'd watch a second season if the fates ever conspired to have one made, but I don't see myself revisiting this set in the near future. I feel like I got everything I'm ever going to get out of it in one viewing, and sometimes that's all right.

That's definitely how I felt after watching the series. While I enjoyed what I saw, I did feel like some of the fan service felt out of place.

I really liked the 2 main protagonists, I've always been a big fan of archers too, but there wasn't enough for me to want to buy the series on disc.

I'd like a 2nd season, only to see the characters again. But, since the manga has been licensed, I'm tempted. Personally, would prefer to have of seen the novels get licensed, as I'm always weary of manga adaptions wrapping up before they cover the whole story told in the LNs.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Pretty fair review. The anime certainly had plenty of obvious flaws, but it did its job of getting me to read the books.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Another failure of the show is even more basic: Nationality. Yes, the Warrior Maidens are right under the king and just over the lords of their country. Yet that means zilch since the show was primarily set and fought in the neighboring nation of Z- not spelling this word. Yet some of the warrior maidens were drawn into the conflict because they had ties to the lords of Zee... and not each other. No, they fought each other... sometimes. Or watched or mediated or sat at home. Still under their king, still under the orders from their king... 1 Why wouldn't either the king or the warrior priestesses finish off the other, to "streamline" the whole governing thing? 2 If the position is determined by the magical weapon itself then why is the position so esteemed? Elen was a bandit before she was raised but now she's just under the king yet not her fellow former bandit? 3 These are military positions but most of the users are, well, not so why would they have soldiers in the first place? Do they come with the weapons...

You seem to have missed or misunderstood quite a lot. To be fair, the anime dumps lots on you at once which is a real flaw in the anime. I'm nearly positive all of what I'm about to say is in there at some point though.

First, the show is primarily in Brune (Tigre's country). Zecht is their neighbor and the home of the Vanadis. The Vanadis' position doesn't mean zilch either as it immediately comes into play with why people of Brune are hesitant to join Tigre. He brought in a foreign army that only answers to the neighboring king so the people of Brune couldn't imagine he could do so through anything short of switching sides. If it was a smaller force, it would be more believable that he and the other smaller nobles managed to negotiate with them.

The Vanadis have ties with each other, just not with every other one. They also have pretty much full control over governing their territory unless the King says otherwise which means negotiating with neighbors within and outside the country.

As for the relationship among the Vanadis and each other and the Vanadis and the king, it isn't that complicated. The Vanadis are all looking to improve their territory which means they will sometimes clash. That is especially common with the adjacent Vanadis. The king allows that because he is afraid of them gaining too much power and coming for the thrown. At the same time, the king needs their ridiculous power to protect the country so he needs them. On the other side, the king Arthur / Excalibur-esque selection essentially ensures that the Vanadis can't directly rebel as their Viralt (dragon weapon things) would leave them.

That also goes towards your bit about why the position would be so esteemed. Why was King Arthur's position esteemed? He was deemed worthy by some higher power and thus could pull out Excalibur. Same thing here.

Not sure what you meant about her fellow former bandits. Well for one, they weren't bandits. They were mercenaries which isn't the same thing. She took some of her fellow mercenaries with her (like Lim who is essentially second in command of Elen's territory).

As for Elen's castle, she inherited it. It was always there, and it became hers when she became a Vanadis.

Animegomaniac wrote:
The show was set up to do one thing: "Insert main character wish fulfillment with a bevy of hotties to the dirty, sweaty work."

Well, I can't entirely disagree. The show, as in the anime adaption, certainly was tailored to do that. However, I don't think that is really true of the original story.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I wish "Vanadis" would get a second season but sales of units did modest if that. If it doesn't get another season, then I find it kind of dumb that they showed Olga Tamm (the flat-chest pink-haired Vanadis) in the OP but not the show itself.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Vanadis for its fun character dynamics, but mostly for its surprisingly accurate depiction of medieval warfare: your goal wasn't actually to kill the noblemen opposing you, but to capture them and make a mint off their ransom. (Maria the Virgin Witch) understood this as well.)

Also, yes, we need more people pointing out that the OP song is beyond fantastic.
Bablioteca

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
"For reasons known only to my subconscious, I consistently misread this show's title as "Wizard Baristas," which sounds like a series that someone needs to make immediately."

Glad to know I'm not the only one.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Quote:
I consistently misread this show's title as "Wizard Baristas," which sounds like a series that someone needs to make immediately.

Unfortunately, I assume it would end up like Wizard Barristers, a show that sounds like a great premise but just didn't live up to it.

well i liked it. and from the looks of things have medium fanservice for a series that has the art design of Yasuomi Umestu aka creator of the infamous franchises ,Kite & Mezzo Forte. though just like with the sequels of those series ( Kite: Liberator & Mezzo DSA) a badass girl with an attitude to match is what he wanted for this series. its not surprising that the main character have the same designs as Mikura from mezzo forte.

Also how come they haven't fixed those copyright issues that is preventing the OP and ED of Zeta Gundam for being released in the US? i mean its 2016 for christ sakes and bandai isnt around anymore so the current US license holder should have at least find a way to get around that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:19 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Also how come they haven't fixed those copyright issues that is preventing the OP and ED of Zeta Gundam for being released in the US? i mean its 2016 for christ sakes and bandai isnt around anymore so the current US license holder should have at least find a way to get around that.

The only solution would be to pay Neil Sedaka royalties for a North American release, and those won't be cheap.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
the shelf that those nendoroids are on is amazing. where can someone buy them from?
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 am Reply with quote
Zoneflare wrote:
the shelf that those nendoroids are on is amazing. where can someone buy them from?

Those shelves are from Ikea, though I cannot find the exact model on their website (so it is possible they discontinued that one...they love to do that).
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, reading all the posts about Lord Marksman and Vanadis actually has me interested in checking it out. The fanservice is off putting though.

Also, I usually forget that Wizard Barristers was an actual thing until I see it in ANN articles. Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:29 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

The only solution would be to pay Neil Sedaka royalties for a North American release, and those won't be cheap.

That much have always been the 22/22 catch and the biggest elephant in the room. that was pretty much the same reason why Manga Ent did the same thing for the Street Fighter II V TV series as well. but it was as I said. in those days royalties were insanely expensive towards the point that some license holders skip that process entirely. Some like Funi went one step further by releasing an English version of those OP and ED songs.

but considering that its the 2016 now, I'm sure the prices for royalties have went down somewhat and there is no way sedaka is STILL asking for the same amount back when Bandai had the license. Or is he?

cause that's not only stubbornness to the highest degree, but its bad business in this time of days when anime in both sides is in the decline since the bubble burst back in 2008.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2