• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's The Best (And Worst) Anime Ending You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:27 am Reply with quote
CaRoss wrote:
Dusk: Maiden of Amnesia Okay, so before I start discussing this in too much depth, I would like to add that this was actual my favourite anime of 2012, but I really did have issues with the ending. spoiler[After such a heartbreaking sequence where Yuuko finally moves on to the afterlife and Teiichi is ready to make an attempt at moving on with his life after all the time spent with her, the fact that she returns for such an asinine reason as him becoming her new regret made little to no sense at all and really frustrated me. I loved everything about this series, including the heavy feeling dread and melancholy that permeated it.] And then they ended it like that... Argh!!

At the end of the day, I've no problem with her staying. But, the build up was good, and I liked the conclusion that the characters came to. It is a ending that I'm conflicted with, but would've preferred if they all just moved on.

Now, I've thought of a couple of series to put in the bad column. I'd have more, but I'd say they'd mostly be down to being open endings due to the source material still ongoing.

First, SKET Dance. Honestly, it's final episode didn't really feel like a final episode. I was even confused when I found out it was the last one. Just came off like an episode where, by the end of it, you could've thought that there was going to be another one the following week.

Don't think that this long running anime will end up getting a follow up. But, since it seems like the manga didn't have much of a conclusion, and my ship didn't eventuate, I wouldn't be too fussed if they don't end up adapting the end of the series into an anime.

Second, while I know this series has some fans here, I didn't enjoy how White Album 2 ended. And, while a major part of that is the fact spoiler[that Kazusa leaves], the real thorn is the fact that spoiler[Setsuna seems to be so easily forgiven...after she emotionally manipulates Haruki, in order to not have him start dating Kazusa, because she believed that Haruki and Kazusa would leave her if they started dating].

Unsure how they can remain friends, or at least there be some sort of ramification for her actions.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Agreed on Bebop, a perfect fit for that series even if it took me a few years to realize it.

After more than twelve years I'm STILL undecided on the NGE endings. Were they good? Bad? What I wanted from the series? Heck if I know.

Good Endings:

Texhnolyze. spoiler[Propably the bleakest, most depressing ending ever.]

Planetes. Provides a satisfying conclusion to the main conflict and then spends the last few episodes dealing with the personal aftermaths and providing closure. A rare treat for an anime original ending!

TTGL and GaoGaiGar (Final). Awesome final battles and an ending with a bittersweet twist.

Haibane Renmei. Satifstying emotional conclusion that still leaves enough questions open to interpretation.

INFERRRNO COP. BWAHAHAAHHAAHAAAA!!!

Giant Robo and Shin Mazinger Z. Imagawa sure knows how to pull of spoiler[awesome cliffhangers!]

Nadia. After the horror of the Island and Africa episodes (brrrr) the series manages to make a great comeback and provides one of the best endings I've ever seen. Great final battle and satisfying conclusions for the characters.

JoJo's Bizarrd Adventure: Battle Tendency. spoiler[Who cares if Joseph only because he got lucky, it was AWESOME! Too bad Stardust Crusaders couldn't quite live up to this.]

Excel Saga. Utter insanity.

Also completely agree on Wolf's Rain, Gunbuster, Azumanga Daioh, Irresponsible Captain Tylor (salute!), Hunter X Hunter.

Bad Endings:

Non-endings (read the manga/LN!) don't really bother me, though they are still pretty disappointing. Anime original endings are usually worse.

Samurai Champloo. Loved the series, but the ending left me wanting. spoiler[Mugen and Jin have established as equals, yet Kariya is somehow able to completely see through Mugen. Jin gets bloodily cut down, yet is still somehow shows up to defeat Kariya with little explanation. The guys suffer horrible injuries, yet BANDAGES HEAL EVERYTHING!. "We've become friends during this journey, so let's all go our separate ways for no reason." Oh well, at least Fuu got a pretty decent conclusion...]

Gasaraki. spoiler[The mystic and supernatural stuff was the worst part of the series, so let's crank up that up to eleven and try beat Gainax in their game! WTF even happened? ]

Gankutsuou. spoiler[F*ck you Albert, just... f*ck you. Way to spoil everything you little shit.]
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
I have rarely seen a really solid anime ending. I think there are probably various reasons for this, sometimes maybe it's as simple as them leaving a bunch of plot threads open just in case they get funding for more seasons. A lot of it might also have to do with the way so many anime are adaptations of (and/or advertisements for) LNs and Manga. So, I don't usually get my hopes up when watching the last episode of an anime.

However, there are a few shining stars. Hands down, From The New World has the best anime ending I have ever seen. The show itself wasn't always perfect, but that ending was masterfully done. It drew all of the threads together from earlier parts of the show and allowed you to reminisce about all of the characters who had come and gone. Since the show takes place over many years and you literally watch the characters grow up from young children to adults, thinking back over that journey had special meaning. Plus, the music was amazing. Then, they finish it up with a powerful message of humanity which is totally relevant to the overarching story. I don't think anything comes close to that one.

Worst ending? Well, there are a LOT of those. If I had to come up with an easy one I would say Madoka. Every episode up to the ending was great. Ending was a disaster. Made very little sense and was mostly either a pander to the audience's spoiler[god-worship of the MC or simplistic "world reset" expectation of pretty much every magical girl show.] It was a safe ending to a show that, up until then, had been taking risks, and has spawned countless lengthy web articles by Madoka experts trying passionately to explain something that doesn't have a fraction of the depth that is claimed.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:55 pm Reply with quote
JoeQ wrote:
Planetes. Provides a satisfying conclusion to the main conflict and then spends the last few episodes dealing with the personal aftermaths and providing closure. A rare treat for an anime original ending!

This is a series I've been meaning to get around to watching. Really should do so soon...though I recently bought Eureka Seven, a blind buy, so I've got to work through a 50 episode anime series first.

Has anyone here mentioned that it has a good ending? Laughing
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I thought of mentioning it but ended up not doing it. I think it's a good ending, but I think a lot of people dislike it too, some for it being unlike the manga's (I think, haven't read it), and some because they plain didn't like how the MC acted at the end.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

I thought of mentioning it but ended up not doing it. I think it's a good ending, but I think a lot of people dislike it too, some for it being unlike the manga's (I think, haven't read it), and some because they plain didn't like how the MC acted at the end.

Eureka Seven was an anime original, so the manga is quite frankly irrelevant. I mean one might prefer the manga's ending, but complaining that the original's ending differs too much from the adaptation's... and holding that against the original... seems a bit wrong to me.

That said, I seem to remember finding the ending a bit overly cheesy, but it didn't ruin the series for me or anything. It was still a good series overall from what I can recall.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Eureka Seven was an anime original, so the manga is quite frankly irrelevant. I mean one might prefer the manga's ending, but complaining that the original's ending differs too much from the adaptation's... and holding that against the original... seems a bit wrong to me.

That said, I seem to remember finding the ending a bit overly cheesy, but it didn't ruin the series for me or anything. It was still a good series overall from what I can recall.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought he was asking about Planetes. I haven't watched or read Eureka Seven yet Embarassed
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Haha, maybe my post wasn't too clear in the end. Yes, I was asking about Eureka Seven.

Cheesy is alright with me, but I'll have to judge it for myself once my copy arrives. Happy I got it on the cheap though, just in case I don't enjoy it and wish to offload it once I finish watching.

As for Planetes, I'm thankful for the mix up killjoy_the. Hadn't heard that the ending is different, when compared to the manga, but that's not something that bothers me. If I enjoy the anime, I'll probably pick up the manga too.

One question, does the main character in Planetes act out of character at the end? I'm unsure if you can go into that without spoiling though...
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Serial Experiments Lain. I love it for being a mind screw that works. It's not just confusing for the sake of confusing people. It actually feels intellectual.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you watched E7 on Adult Swim.... then you would probably consider it one of the worst ever... as the last episode was overlong with like 8 extra post-credits minutes or so and at least some of the showings of it did not bother airing that section.
It's a frustrating ending that begs for more explanation.... which, if I understand correctly, doesn't even really get completely explained in the recent sequel (I never got around to watching it).

Bones and Gonzo loved that type of ending back in their 00's heyday. A bit mysterious and not completely satisfying to anyone, but kinda neat and hard to call "worst ever"
Also See: Last Exile and Xam'd
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Well, if you watched E7 on Adult Swim.... then you would probably consider it one of the worst ever... as the last episode was overlong with like 8 extra post-credits minutes or so and at least some of the showings of it did not bother airing that section.
It's a frustrating ending that begs for more explanation.... which, if I understand correctly, doesn't even really get completely explained in the recent sequel (I never got around to watching it).

Bones and Gonzo loved that type of ending back in their 00's heyday. A bit mysterious and not completely satisfying to anyone, but kinda neat and hard to call "worst ever"
Also See: Last Exile and Xam'd

Ugh... my god. Last Exile was an amazing show which had the most... strangely unremarkable final episode ever. Was it an Escaflowne scenario where they thought they were gonna get more episodes?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:42 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
As for Planetes, I'm thankful for the mix up killjoy_the. Hadn't heard that the ending is different, when compared to the manga, but that's not something that bothers me. If I enjoy the anime, I'll probably pick up the manga too.

One question, does the main character in Planetes act out of character at the end? I'm unsure if you can go into that without spoiling though...

Wouldn't say it's out of character, just that it looked like the show was setting up for a big change in the character, but then it's not that big a change.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Ah, okay. That sounds interesting, thanks killjoy_the! Gotta get around to grabbing Planetes for a viewing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 14 of 14