• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ANN Exclusive: Interview + ADV License Announcement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elsie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Having gone to see a friend's daughter in The Nutcracker this weekend, I think ADV needed to market Princess Tutu through dance schools. I actually bought the first volume to give her as a Christmas present. I just know she'll love it as soon as she watches it.
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:18 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I read this interview. I wasn't planning to give CRS a second thought.
That's what I get for judging by title only. I'm definitely interested now.

Yes, Elfen Lied was (one of) the best release(s) of 2005.
agent007

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
I don't know why people even think about comparing CRS with Cowboy Bebop! The later has quality all over it.. from the writing, to the direction to the dubbing.

The dubbing cast is so good that I can't associate anyone else with Spike's character (not even the original Japanese VA.)

That aside, I'm keen on Elfen Lied and AMG S2! Awesome news.

Now.. if only someone would start releasing them on Bluray...
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:22 am Reply with quote
Ouch, as a Princess Tutu fan to hear that the series doesn't sell that well hurts. But I guess the wording of the title does put people off (I know I was before I got into the fandom). Still, at least the people at the company has a great time preparing it for the market (which you can really tell if you've watched the commentaries on the DVDs) and it does have a band of faithful fans. Very Happy
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:58 am Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Princess Tutu as well. It was very positive word of mouth, as well as a VERY strong endorsement from Luci Christian, that sparked my interest. I've seen all but the last 4 eps, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. Princess Tutu has a lot of heart Very Happy
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As for the hardest thing about this business, I'd have to say it's when everyone works so hard on a title and it doesn't perform. Princess Tutu is a prime example. That was a quality show that was a “hit” inside this company. I'm just glad that we were able to finish the series.

Y'know, I think the thing that really bites series like this in the rear is just poor marketing. You have you actually know what kind of audience it WILL appeal to, and market to that. A lot of the major flops in recent years have by and large been due to this exact problem- a company picks up a hot title, then advertises it poorly or otherwise markets to the wrong crowd. Very often I find myself wincing at the ads and previews on anime DVDs, simply because the way they're put together simply does NOT give an accurate impression of what the show's like. So the wrong crowd gets curious and ends up disliking it, and the people who would be interested don't look at it at all.

In other words, know what the original target audience of the series is, but also know what audience in American pop culture it's gonna appeal to. And generally play to the series' strengths, rather than advertise it poorly.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
Maybe they're just not trying to push Chevalier as hard because they already know it'll be a hit. Rolling Eyes I guess that's not a terribly far fetched business plan.

I think ADV is pushing Coyote right now more then Chevalier just because Volume 1 of Coyote is out a month or so before the first volume of Chevalier. ADV will probably do some pushing for Chevalier but it's will probably be after this current one for Coyote.

And on that subject I check out the free episode on IGN, and I must say I had a pretty good time with it, I am definitely going to add the first volume to my netflix and then all go from there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:44 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
Y'know, I saw the first ep of Coyote Ragtime Show and was immediately turned off when the goth/lolita/maid/robots descended from an airship and started blasting the bejeezus out of everyone and everything in sight. There was a mixed sense of viciousness and glee in the way it was depicted that was kind of revolting.
I felt that way too at first, but when they all got their comeupance at the end, it was all better then. Wink

I knew someone had pipped Media Blasters at the license bidding for AMG Second Season. Now we know by whom. Seeing as Season One has only just washed up on our beaches here in the UK, hopefully season two will show up a lot quicker.
Soldat of life

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:35 am Reply with quote
But the first episode doesn't have the same feel one bit from Cowboy Bebop in my opinion.

CB: Dark intro flashback, seriousness, a tad bit of humor with the oldies, a nice chase and one sad ending for the baddies. Aging, yet always well worth graphics.

CRS: Strange intro, funny secondary main character, half-serious intro storyline, shiny and neat special explosions, ends leaving people wanting to know what will happen next and graphics of today's anime in the standards.

AMG 2nd Season: I WANNA SEE Anime hyper Though I was somewhat dissapointed with the first season in comparison to the OVA's I saw long long ago....and superp movie.

Congrats by the way on the chance on interviewing an important person, I'll be checking more often, and I was happily surprised to see a change of the site. Stay free or else you shall suffer!!!!!

P.S.: Elfen Lied was...was....well in my head resounded "Superb", but that's being a bit too simplistic, I'd more likely say a thought out plot that is quite mature, offering a good short story worthy of remaining in let's say my top 20 faves so far....though I wouldn't know in which order...but not top 4, but better than 20th Razz

Nighty ANN Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lothar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I don't think we set out to keep our sales “secret” so much as we're mostly privately-held companies. The major studios (and some of our peers) are publicly-traded, and as a result they have strict reporting requirements to adhere to. That's why you hear so much about the major studios’ theatrical take, their DVD sales, etc. It's true that we want fans to concentrate on the quality of the shows we deliver. It's our job to help every show find its audience. That's it. I don't know how well that's accomplished by trumpeting our sales figures.

If anything, I think that the whole business aspect of entertainment can be a distraction from what's really important – the shows themselves.

Does he not realize how extremely FRUSTRATING it is for a fandom researcher to deal with the domestic licensers' secrecy? No, of course not, nor does he care. I have to rely on aggregate figures, most often from Japan and not so much the States, to give my readers (and dissertation committee) an idea of the scale of anime's popularity. I could use some choice figures of the popularity of shows my anime clubs under study were watching to compare them to the top shows in the market during the time I was collecting data. Was that available? No. How about what my participants said they liked in their interviews versus what fandom as a whole was buying? Again, nothing. The best I have are Cartoon Network ratings, but the primary group of fans I'm studying are fansub viewers - they've long since seen what got popular on CN and have moved on to something else. And even then, CN only covers a fraction of what they watch.

So yes, I am a bit biased when I call this "we-want-the-fans-to-focus-on-the-shows" explanation disingenuous. It's advantageous from a business perspective to keep competitors and consumers in the dark about your sales figures. Fans want to buy what sells well, meaning they're less likely to buy things fandom isn't watching, so that show goes even further unsold. And you don't want your competitors to know your sales figures for a popular series so that they can scoop you for a license from the same director, studio, genre, or what have you. Great for business, bad for research - the same old story of secretive capitalism. What I wouldn't give for the SEC to force companies, privately and publicly-held, to report their sales figures if their capitalization was above a certain low threshold. Too bad privately-held companies are outside of the bounds of securities in the first place, but a man can dream/agitate, right?
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
Finally ADV is admitting that Tutu was a bad move. I wonder if things would have been better had they not made a damnfool move of translating names.

Its Ahiru, not Duck.
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
Finally ADV is admitting that Tutu was a bad move. I wonder if things would have been better had they not made a damnfool move of translating names.

Its Ahiru, not Duck.

The reason ADV went with Duck is because Ahiru is the Japanese word for duck. So to the Japanese audience, no one would name there daughter "duck". Therefore, to make that point to the english listening audience, they chose to use Duck.

I'm on board for the Save Tutu shirts! If anyone does it, let us know where we can get one!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:35 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Its Ahiru, not Duck.

Somehow I don't think the translation of a name ruined the entire series and caused its poor sales.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who tires of PR double-speak? I speak of course on the sales numbers. He didn't directly address giving us numbers, just something about the numbers being useful to companies. About the only part he seemed to be honest about was the last question, when he said he loves Elfen Lied.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:28 pm Reply with quote
And my tin foil hat told me that aliens transported Bin Laden back in time to kill JFK as part of their plot for world domination. Seriously though, give it a rest, for one there's obviously going to be a spin on it. He's not going to come out and say how medioce their titles might be or how low their expectations are, that's a great way to see your company interest plummet and your job go to someone else. On top of that, as he said, they're not a publicly traded company so they can't just throw sales figures around to any who are curious, that can have a ripple effect on the fanbase and more importantly on future clients and business opportunities.

Now I highly doubt the whole thing was just some clever lie constructed to warp your mind into becoming some ADV zombie. Seriously, give it a rest, such blind cynicism is just as bad as any form of double speak.

Last edited by Keonyn on Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4