• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ace Attorney Anime's TV Ad Previews 1st Episode

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actar wrote:
Very excited for this one, though I suppose the subs will have to use the English names, being established and whatnot. Hope it won't be set in America, though.

Why would the subs refer to the characters by their English names eventhough the characters would be obviously referring to each other by their proper names?

That makes as much sense as what Crunchyroll did to some of the character's names in JJBA's spoken dialog be damned.
Same reason as JJBA: contracts. Don't forget, we're dealing with Capcom here.

Last edited by Saffire on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for the eventual Pheniox Wright vs Vinny (of My Cousin Vinny) video
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actar wrote:
Very excited for this one, though I suppose the subs will have to use the English names, being established and whatnot. Hope it won't be set in America, though.

Why would the subs refer to the characters by their English names eventhough the characters would be obviously referring to each other by their proper names?

That makes as much sense as what Crunchyroll did to some of the character's names in JJBA's spoken dialog be damned.

Tell me about it. Same reason they subbed Tailmon as Gatomon, I guess. Though in this case, I do suppose they can make a case of translating the puns in the name as no one is going to understand "Naruhodo, Naruhodo.". I myself advocate parenthesis translations or TL notes, but everyone else hates them.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Tell me about it. Same reason they subbed Tailmon as Gatomon, I guess. Though in this case, I do suppose they can make a case of translating the puns in the name as no one is going to understand "Naruhodo, Naruhodo.". I myself advocate parenthesis translations or TL notes, but everyone else hates them.

Because they don't preserve humor or any other rhetorical effect, only explain it, and break the flow of the scene with sudden text not directly derived from dialogue to boot.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Actar wrote:

Actually I think that's a joke that's going to fall apart spoken. Or at least have us wondering why the show doesn't fall into a who's on first routine.

Also going to be the Troll that points out the musical used the English names and since they did three of those no one must have been too pissed off about it. So if Capcom tells them to use the localized names the will it's not going to be up to who gets the show anyway.
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to this series!
pauladls

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I just wanna see this for my daddy dick gumshoe im barafan
1dbad

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised - Yuki Kaji isn't as jarring for Nick as I was expecting. I like the animation too. It may not be anything special, but I'm just happy it's serviceable.

Looking forward to this even more than I was before now!
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:44 am Reply with quote
OBJECTION! I hope Ace Attorney gets picked up by Funimation and in the Dub they use there English names.TAKE THAT! Twisted Evil
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
I'm excited for this because 1) we're finally getting a Phoenix Wright anime, 2) it'll be fun, and 3) if it gets licensed, I can buy it.

Some concerns, though: 1) Aniplex of America could decide to license it, due to the series' popularity (in Japan - even Capcom doesn't care enough to give us physical copies of the main series games or translate the games not prominently featuring Nick). 2) It could get a sub-only release (but probably still with the English names, aggravating some fans). 3) It could be too expensive to license based on the middling Western success of Ace Attorney in general.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
The series has a long and large established fanbase in the west. They'd be stupid NOT to use the Established localization.

All the people who want it closer to the original will more than likely get their fix from fansubs anyway.

Or they could offer both. Everyone wins. No one bitches and moans.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:15 am Reply with quote
Chihiro/Mia's prominent cleavage is drawn pretty badly here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:

Also going to be the Troll that points out the musical used the English names and since they did three of those no one must have been too pissed off about it.

The Takazura (sp) Revue was a play that wasn't mandated to follow all of the rules hence why it's a musical, Phoenix has an ex lover, and why all the male characters are played by females.......plus given that it was made for Japanese audiences in mind not much for anyone to complain about it in that regard.

sailorneorune wrote:

(in Japan - even Capcom doesn't care enough to give us physical copies of the main series games

Not counting the original GBA games this only applies to the 5th game.

sailorneorune wrote:
or translate the games not prominently featuring Nick)

Kenji 2 was the only spin-off title not localized .
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Usually people are "keep the original names" and "don't edit it". Kind of odd seeing the opposite but I can understand since we grew with these characters using their Westernized names. Time will tell.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The Takazura (sp) Revue was a play that wasn't mandated to follow all of the rules hence why it's a musical, Phoenix has an ex lover, and why all the male characters are played by females.......plus given that it was made for Japanese audiences in mind not much for anyone to complain about it in that regard.

Also the troupe is one that focuses and specializes on western-style Broadway plays. The whole point of the stage play was to westernize it which is most likely why they used to established American names rather than making up their own. I doubt any of them actually played or knew anything about the American version

Meanwhile more official stage plays use their proper names and actors according to character gender like any other.

ParaChomp wrote:
Usually people are "keep the original names" and "don't edit it". Kind of odd seeing the opposite but I can understand since we grew with these characters using their Westernized names. Time will tell.

It's not terribly uncommon, especially for a video game adaption. I see more than a few people get upset the fansubs for Pokemon use their original names. If you're going to dub something then I could see using American names. But for subtitles it's incredibly jarring when the subs don't match the actual dialogue, which is an issue for some official subs.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2