• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Terror in Resonance BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCAL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:
How much did Funimation pay for this review?
http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/10/20/terror-in-resonance-and-the-shadow-children/

http://wrongeverytime.com/2014/12/30/top-ten-anime-of-2014/

Funimation must have really wanted this positive review. They were even paying him before he joined ANN.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
For me, no show in recent years "jumped the shark" or "crashed and burned" or "went off the tracks" or whatever metaphor you prefer more than Zankyou no Terror. How can a story both be "searing" yet at the same time "ridiculous?" I'll forgive Watanabe for this mess because he wasn't really responsible for the storyboards other than episode 1 and 11 or for the writing as far as I can tell. I finished it in hopes it would recover from the disaster it became after Five appeared (it didn't), but I chose not to inflict the last half on my friend who watched the first few episodes with me.

Zankyou no Terror sits at or near the top of my all-time list of disappointing shows along with Nakamura Kenji's [C] and a few others I've put out of my mind by now. I'd give it a D myself.

Watanabe seems to have a thing for triangles with two guys and a girl. Lisa is as useless and unmemorable as Ritsuko in Sakamichi no Apollon. Fuu at least had some backbone and contributed to the development of the story in Samurai Champloo. These girls can't hold a candle to her.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I originally rated Terror in Resonance Decent when I first watched it. I was disappointed that Shinichiro Watanabe could actually direct a not great anime, but I decided to still buy the disc release. I am assuming that the unflattering review from Zac and Justin that I refer to was kind of bitter because they are big fans of Watanabe, and they (like me) expected something better.

I also think that Nick is being too kind in his review. He is big on characters, but that is not a very good element in TiR. I advice you to at least get the standard edition; the production values alone are worth it. I actually liked Terror in Resonance better when I watched my BD's with that great Funimation dub. I even upgraded my rating to Good.

Without the production values, I would have similarly given it a Decent rating. With them, it brought the whole show up a notch. I think a rewatch would be more enjoyable because I already know what the major flaws are, and I can enjoy the music and animation once again. I haven't watched an English dub in a while, but the Engrish in this show was pretty terrible, so I can easily see how that might make things more enjoyable. You probably just sold me on it! Laughing
Videogamep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Random 21 wrote:
I actually really like the show in spite of it's flaws. I recognise and appreciate why people were disappointed, but for me I still had a great time regardless. Although, have to find it funny that people are now annoyed because of a POSITIVE review

I feel exactly the same way. I recognize some of the flaws that people have pointed out, they just don't really bother me. One thing that is beyond reproach is the direction. Regardless of the writing quality, Shinichiro Watanabe's direction is top tier. I wish he would do more anime since he's so good at what he does.

EDIT:
garlogan78 wrote:

Ah, so here's the obligatory "positive review I disagree with must be a shill" comment, a close cousin of the "negative review I disagree with must be biased/trolling" comment. Always a joy to see one of these /s.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:39 am Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
~Post Removed~

I think that's a bit uncalled for.

With that in mind however a policy of routine interest disclosures might not be a bad idea. In this case I am not so sure there really is a conflict.
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Videogamep wrote:

EDIT:
garlogan78 wrote:

Ah, so here's the obligatory "positive review I disagree with must be a shill" comment, a close cousin of the "negative review I disagree with must be biased/trolling" comment. Always a joy to see one of these /s.

I say that because it rubs me the wrong way that Funimation has sponsored articles here and then this site posts a review for a release Funimation is putting out that is basically like wow it is amazing buy it!

I do think this show was complete trash once Five was introduced, so I disagree with the score personally as well. But the comment was made because it is just seems like a conflict of interest to review disc releases for a company that has financial ties to this site.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:24 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:

I say that because it rubs me the wrong way that Funimation has sponsored articles here and then this site posts a review for a release Funimation is putting out that is basically like wow it is amazing buy it!

I do think this show was complete trash once Five was introduced, so I disagree with the score personally as well. But the comment was made because it is just seems like a conflict of interest to review disc releases for a company that has financial ties to this site.

I don't see much of an issue with that. ANN runs adds from Aniplex too and UBW was given a C in it's latest review animenewsnetwork.com/review/fate/stay-night/unlimited-blade-works/limited-edition-bd-box-set-2/.98905. Funimation shows have also gotten negative reviews before. Just look through the episode reviews.

HaruhiToy wrote:
MCAL wrote:
Funimation must have really wanted this positive review. They were even paying him before he joined ANN.

I think that's a bit uncalled for.

I'm pretty sure MCAL was joking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garlogan78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:33 am Reply with quote
I guess I just find this show such a terrible trainwreck that I can only understand the high scores if bribery was involved.

I agree on anything visual/sound/direction/voice acting/whatever, but characters? story? themes?...no....just...I can't.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
garlogan78 wrote:

The usual payment. We got 3 baskets of wheat, 2 pails of milk, and a goat. We got a stud goat for breeding because Nick gave it an A. A rating of a B on only gets us a normal female goat. I mean obviously it couldn't be because Nick simply liked the show. Nope of course not because we're all corporate shills. How about we all get back on track and leave the sad and outdated "they must be on the take!" conspiracy theories for another time shall we.
TheObserver99

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
I think it's worth noting that Nick DID write a glowing essay about TiR on his private blog back when it first came out. If you're familiar with what Nick cares about in his anime, and the stuff he's written, then nothing in this review comes as a surprise.

Personally, I agree with a lot of what he wrote (I have very similar tastes to him), but the characters just didn't resonate with me this time as strongly as they did with him.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
garlogan78 wrote:

The usual payment. We got 3 baskets of wheat, 2 pails of milk, and a goat. We got a stud goat for breeding because Nick gave it an A. A rating of a B on only gets us a normal female goat.

Thanks for making my morning. Laughing

As for the review, i largely agree with Nick. Apart from Lisa who's existence was pretty pointless, i loved this show. Yes, the plot was pretty flawed, but the other aspects more than made up for it.
MCAL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
{Edit}: Pointless troll post removed. You should get together with the other users who claim Viz pays us and so does Aniplex. ~ Psycho 101
Umm... I was being sarcastic. I find his "How much does funimation pay you" (Incidentally why does this mention Viz and Aniplex) just as rediculous as you do. And why isn't the actual troll post (The one I replied to) deleted? I don't understand?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
TheObserver99 wrote:
I think it's worth noting that Nick DID write a glowing essay about TiR on his private blog back when it first came out. If you're familiar with what Nick cares about in his anime, and the stuff he's written, then nothing in this review comes as a surprise.

Personally, I agree with a lot of what he wrote (I have very similar tastes to him), but the characters just didn't resonate with me this time as strongly as they did with him.

Yep. MCAL linked to those, but his comment was deleted because it was misinterpreted by the moderator. But yeah, I had forgotten about his writing on it last year. I remembered someone on staff was a big fan, but didn't realize it was Nick, since that was just before I started following his blog.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
MCAL wrote:
Umm... I was being sarcastic. I find his "How much does funimation pay you" (Incidentally why does this mention Viz and Aniplex) just as rediculous as you do. And why isn't the actual troll post (The one I replied to) deleted? I don't understand?

For starters yours was the one reported. Though if you notice I quoted the other post when making my point for EVERYONE to drop the topic. Secondly, if you claim you were being sarcastic then I highly suggest next time you make it clearer. Your post could easily have been seen as serious. You may think not but we have seen countless posts that look like it which were in fact serious saying how we're shills for Aniplex, Viz, Funi, etc. It grows very tiresome. Give a bad review of a show people like and we're fools who don't know our asses from a hole in the ground, and if there's a positive review for a title people don't like we're obviously simply sell outs and corporate lackeys. Now as I said since you say you were being sarcastic I will take you at your word this time and I'll re-insert your post.
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
I loved the art style and music of this series. It probably would've been more effective as a 2 hour movie instead.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4