Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon Prime to Stream Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Anime From Attack on Titan Team


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Adnaechan



Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 4
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
lavmintrose wrote:
The character designs are gross, though (Is it just me or are there no non-sports bishounen anime anymore? Shame.)

Wow, you're seriously saying that Mikimoto's character design is gross? That's the first time I hear that, since he is praised for each of his works.
I've been waiting a very long time for him to work on an anime again, and he is proving (again) that he is waaaaaaay better than many others in the industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lynx Amali



Joined: 05 Nov 2010
Posts: 1203
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
Welp.
And I was actually interested in this.

At least I could access Netflix and watch 7 Deadly Sins and Sidonia. A company announcing it will be available exclusively via them when said service isn't available is available worldwide is totally not a Neon-Alley-tier move and people probably know how I feel about Viz's shoddy treatment of that for people not in the US.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Admiral Pizzaman



Joined: 08 Apr 2014
Posts: 498
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:45 am Reply with quote
First time hearing about Amazon Prime. I know it's Funimation,Crunchyroll,Daisuki & maybe netflix are the ones oftenly gets streaming rights and all. If the company which got rights to stream outside the region but chooses not to make it available to other consumers,this company has absolutely no rights at all to ask why fansubs exists.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shuusei



Joined: 09 Apr 2015
Posts: 154
Location: Fort Gordon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
This certainly came out of no where. I know Amazon said they were interested in Anime, but this show had Funimation written all over it. Wonder if they'll try to do a deal so they can both handle the property.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Buzz201



Joined: 21 Jun 2015
Posts: 266
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
Why does the article say that it will stream in the US too, before mentioning Amazon has worldwide rights further down the page? The wording seemed a little weird to me, especially when Amazon Prime is also available in the UK...

AliceTheHare wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
So, does this mean this won't be coming to DVD/BD? I can imagine Amazon going "but you have streaming, why need a physical copy?" ._.

Well, no matter. I hope some good fansub group picks this up because I'm expecting hard-burned Amazon fansubs to look horrendous. Amazon should stick to their own stuff instead of touching anime turf which they are absolutely not suited for.


Just because Amazon has the streaming rights does not mean it will never get a physical release; look at Knight of Sidonia for example. Netflix has the exclusive streaming rights for Sidonia, but Sentai picked up the physical distribution rights. But only time will tell if that will happen again, or if it was only a fluke.


Amazon has said publicly that all of their originals will get DVD releases eventually. So even if Amazon has home video rights, it will still get a home video release, just not very quickly.

Quote:
While Lewis confirmed that all of Amazon’s original series will be available on DVD and Blu-ray eventually, he also emphasized that the shows will be available “in perpetuity” for as long as viewers are members of Amazon Prime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Black Thunder 6



Joined: 08 Sep 2015
Posts: 128
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Adnaechan wrote:
lavmintrose wrote:
The character designs are gross, though (Is it just me or are there no non-sports bishounen anime anymore? Shame.)

Wow, you're seriously saying that Mikimoto's character design is gross? That's the first time I hear that, since he is praised for each of his works.
I've been waiting a very long time for him to work on an anime again, and he is proving (again) that he is waaaaaaay better than many others in the industry.

Yeah like Tytania! Do you remember Tytania? Of course you don't because you wouldn't have made such a close-minded statement otherwise. Rolling Eyes

Mikimoto suffers the same problem as most 80s artist do when they start incorporating digital stylings to their work and as a result their designs deteriorate. Now his designs look no different from your average moe garbage and the added gloss makes them look like hollow dolls than anything retro like the novices praising the designs for this hot garbage keep saying, it looks just as bad as Tytania and Macross The First.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelmcazares



Joined: 23 Sep 2010
Posts: 4639
Location: Iscandar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
It is interesting to me that now Amazon has also joined the ranks of anime streaming. It is another player entering the anime business, but I can understand why Amazon or any other companies would want to enter a new venture if it might make them money.

I have Amazon Prime, but I am not that interested in watching "Not Attack on Titan".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Beatdigga



Joined: 26 Oct 2003
Posts: 3097
Location: Here!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:47 am Reply with quote
What we're seeing is an escalation in the war for content between on demand services.

Look at live action series. Netflix went "Hey, our binge watched TV is doing great. Let's make a series ourselves and keep 100% of the profits! We got House of Cards as a result. So they do it again. Orange is the new Black. And so on. Now Hulu has to play catch up. Amazon Prime launched with numerous shows, knowing that it was the easiest way to get viewers.

Now the services are going into subgenres. Netflix went "Hey, anime streaming is insanely popular since the stuff is only on at ass-o clock on Saturday night on regular TV. Let's get exclusive licenses and make a ton of profit." .And both Knights of Sidonia and Seven Deadly Sins were very successful. Now Amazon is all "Hey, Netflix is getting viewers with the animoos. Let's get some exclusives too!"

And this will likely continue to escalate into other genres. Sports, musicals, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
zrnzle500
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 04 Oct 2014
Posts: 3687
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm going to get Amazon Prime.

Kinda sucks for those who watch most shows and do so legitimately. Either you buy like 5 or 6 subscriptions (luckily Viewster hasn't gotten any exclusive streams) or you miss out on some shows. Though in the case of Netflix and likely Amazon Prime too, few shows have been picked up exclusively. Netflix is also a pain in the butt for their signature latecasts, but again few shows have been affected. At least with Amazon Prime you get some other benefits, though I don't use Amazon that much honestly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Oneeyedjacks



Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 307
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Look at live action series. Netflix went "Hey, our binge watched TV is doing great. Let's make a series ourselves and keep 100% of the profits! We got House of Cards as a result. So they do it again. Orange is the new Black. And so on.


Not that it really matters or anything, but Netflix is co-producing House of Cards with Sony Televison, and Orange is the New Black with Lionsgate Television. Netflix simply outbid other distributors for those show's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kuzronk



Joined: 22 Dec 2014
Posts: 85
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
Here I thought Funi owned the US rights to anything noitaminA.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
shuusei



Joined: 09 Apr 2015
Posts: 154
Location: Fort Gordon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
kuzronk wrote:
Here I thought Funi owned the US rights to anything noitaminA.


That's been debunked for a while. Just in the past 6 years alone, Aniplex has 7 Noitamina titles, Sentai has about 7-8, and Funi has about 6-7, and NIS America had 3-4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RestLessone



Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 1425
Location: New York
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
What a time to be alive.

I have an Amazon Prime account anyway, so I guess this works. I do wonder how their streaming and translation will go. Hopefully they've studied the other sites well enough to get an idea of what fans want.

A (selfish?) part of me liked how it was for before. Funimation and Crunchyroll still get the most, with Daisuki and Viewster having shared series and a couple exclusive titles. I guess it shows there's decent money to be earned here if Hulu, Amazon, and Netflix are competing. Hulu doesn't appear to limit their anime simulcasts to subscribers, though. At least Amazon and Netflix are going after relatively few titles, even if they are highly anticipated. To be honest, I rather have them throw money at projects (co-producing) rather than bid on them. Netflix seems to be entering that arena with Perfect Bones, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Anti_Nadalista



Joined: 02 Jul 2012
Posts: 89
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Black Thunder 6 wrote:
Adnaechan wrote:
lavmintrose wrote:
The character designs are gross, though (Is it just me or are there no non-sports bishounen anime anymore? Shame.)

Wow, you're seriously saying that Mikimoto's character design is gross? That's the first time I hear that, since he is praised for each of his works.
I've been waiting a very long time for him to work on an anime again, and he is proving (again) that he is waaaaaaay better than many others in the industry.

Yeah like Tytania! Do you remember Tytania? Of course you don't because you wouldn't have made such a close-minded statement otherwise. Rolling Eyes

Mikimoto suffers the same problem as most 80s artist do when they start incorporating digital stylings to their work and as a result their designs deteriorate. Now his designs look no different from your average moe garbage and the added gloss makes them look like hollow dolls than anything retro like the novices praising the designs for this hot garbage keep saying, it looks just as bad as Tytania and Macross The First.
what a waste of fresh air, haha

Mikimoto is God, get a clue, greengo.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DangerMouse



Joined: 25 Mar 2009
Posts: 3780
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
AliceTheHare wrote:
BlueOla wrote:
So, does this mean this won't be coming to DVD/BD? I can imagine Amazon going "but you have streaming, why need a physical copy?" ._.

Well, no matter. I hope some good fansub group picks this up because I'm expecting hard-burned Amazon fansubs to look horrendous. Amazon should stick to their own stuff instead of touching anime turf which they are absolutely not suited for.


Just because Amazon has the streaming rights does not mean it will never get a physical release; look at Knight of Sidonia for example. Netflix has the exclusive streaming rights for Sidonia, but Sentai picked up the physical distribution rights. But only time will tell if that will happen again, or if it was only a fluke.


Yeah, hopefully that's the case here too that someone like Funi or Sentai if not Amazon will do a dual-audio physical release for this in addition to the streaming if it's as good as I hope since I'm looking forward to it and would like to own it on blu-ray if it's good.

I wonder when they'll do an actual press release since as has already been said it's weird how this was announced and how the tweet didn't specify dub, sub, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group