• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga to Return for 1st Time Since August 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanne Habets

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Now this is something I'm looking forward too...
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So I don't read HXH and I have no patience for the crap the author pulls, I think he's making up the reasons for his hiatuses and just doesn't want to draw.

In all seriousness if this comes back again only to go hiatus fairly quickly people really need to stop giving this guy credit as a good mangaka.

Considering this was the first time we got a reason as to the hiatus, I don't think he makes up excuses.

And the amount of hiatus has nothing to do with his skills as a mangaka. He's probably better than a lot of the guys who produce content consistently (coughcoughMashimacough)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
If he wasn't taking all these hiatuses, I might believe that back injury explanation. I think it's just another excuse.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Fallensoul wrote:
Saffire wrote:
It always amazes me how easily people living on another continent can reject the notion that maybe Togashi really does have health problems.

Well if he does in fact have health problems why on earth isn't he putting in some assistants and shit so that he doesn't have to do it all by himself. It just doesn't make sense to not do it if you can't possibly maintain a steady release schedule cause of health problems. Either drop it entirely or get some damn help.

He is probably busy helping the author of sailor moon Laughing
Or so i hear. In fact I've actually been shown some graphs of Togashi's haituses....cant belive its come down to graphs, well anyways THE GREAT SERIES FINALY RETURNS!
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I stand corrected by @bigivel about Togashi's reason for ending YYH, though I still feel something "weird" about that ending, all before the tournament semed like a foreshadowing for something else, unlike Level E's ending, there was nothing that necessarily hinted for the story to go on.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So I don't read HXH and I have no patience for the crap the author pulls, I think he's making up the reasons for his hiatuses and just doesn't want to draw.

In all seriousness if this comes back again only to go hiatus fairly quickly people really need to stop giving this guy credit as a good mangaka.

Well, I'd say he's a good storyteller and a good artist, and how often he goes on break has nothing to do with it, even if it is stupid annoying.

Depends. The first few chapters of Chimera Ant arc and the last of Greed Island were mostly scribbles and barely readable, it got better and redrawn in the volumes, but still. And in the Chimera Ant arc, spoiler[there is a full episode for Gyro, NGL's king, background and story, however it easily becomes irrelevant after that, and in my opinion the NGL mini-arc was kinda weird in direction compared how abruptly it ended to directly go to East Gorteau's part]
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If he wasn't taking all these hiatuses, I might believe that back injury explanation. I think it's just another excuse.

Why? There is such a thing as chronic back problems that continue to happen.

Valhern wrote:

spoiler[there is a full episode for Gyro, NGL's king, background and story, however it easily becomes irrelevant after that, and in my opinion the NGL mini-arc was kinda weird in direction compared how abruptly it ended to directly go to East Gorteau's part]

Well that stuff is only irrelevant for now. Who knows if it ever will, but given the foreshadowing it could be.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
How long until it goes on hiatus again this time? 2 months?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Depends. The first few chapters of Chimera Ant arc and the last of Greed Island were mostly scribbles and barely readable, it got better and redrawn in the volumes, but still. And in the Chimera Ant arc, spoiler[there is a full episode for Gyro, NGL's king, background and story, however it easily becomes irrelevant after that, and in my opinion the NGL mini-arc was kinda weird in direction compared how abruptly it ended to directly go to East Gorteau's part]

Nah, the scribbliness is definitely from procrastination. Consider that he can make well-illustrated manga when he wants to, those scribbly chapters are definitely because he just put something together at the last minute knowing it has to be printed in Weekly Shonen Jump.

spoiler[And in regards to Gyro, he's Jail. The chameleon guy. The hints are so subtle that almost every translator working on Hunter X Hunter missed it, including the one at Viz.]
Shirohae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
omg finally!!! please don't go hiatus again! I need another HXH anime Sad and i know its gonna be awhile but worth the wait!!
Valhern

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Valhern wrote:

Nah, the scribbliness is definitely from procrastination. Consider that he can make well-illustrated manga when he wants to, those scribbly chapters are definitely because he just put something together at the last minute knowing it has to be printed in Weekly Shonen Jump.

spoiler[And in regards to Gyro, he's Jail. The chameleon guy. The hints are so subtle that almost every translator working on Hunter X Hunter missed it, including the one at Viz.]

Well but some of them came after an hiatus so there is that.

spoiler[That'd be a pretty good possibility of mix-up Meleoron's name is stated to be Jail, and in Japanese pronunciation could be confusing and all HxH names are weird, however Gyro sounds like, well, Jairo, and Jail usally sounds like Jairu. Anyway, according to narration, Gyro became a Chimera Ant but he retained all human memories, however Meleoron apparently remembered when Peggy was killed by the King, remembering Peggy used to be his foster father.

Plus, Gyro left NGL to try and rebuild his empire, and it is said that Gon and Killua never met him (could be a lie but I don't see any point in it). And to boot, Ikalgo, Welfin, nor Lobster recognized him, also I don't think Meleoron's personality fits the guy described.]
[/spoiler]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:29 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:

Well but some of them came after an hiatus so there is that.

spoiler[That'd be a pretty good possibility of mix-up Meleoron's name is stated to be Jail, and in Japanese pronunciation could be confusing and all HxH names are weird, however Gyro sounds like, well, Jairo, and Jail usally sounds like Jairu. Anyway, according to narration, Gyro became a Chimera Ant but he retained all human memories, however Meleoron apparently remembered when Peggy was killed by the King, remembering Peggy used to be his foster father.

Plus, Gyro left NGL to try and rebuild his empire, and it is said that Gon and Killua never met him (could be a lie but I don't see any point in it). And to boot, Ikalgo, Welfin, nor Lobster recognized him, also I don't think Meleoron's personality fits the guy described.]
[/spoiler]

Just because some of those scribbly chapters came after a hiatus doens't mean Togashi can't be lazy. Then again, maybe he begins slow and has to hit his stride each time.

I stopped questioning spellings and interpretations of names in Hunter X Hunter after seeing some of the consonant jumbles he comes up with. spoiler[Did they meet him in NGL? I thought Gon and Killua didn't meet up with him until he got to East Gorteau. Then again, if Meleoron is Gyro, it could also be that he had to return to NGL to not look suspicious. If it's said directly that Gyro never met Gon and Killua though, I guess then that's it. I was really confused initially reading through this part of the series and wondering what the significance to that chapter was, and I only found that theory that Meleoron is him way later.]
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Meleoron isn't Gyro. The real Gyro is a sociopathic monster hell bent on spreading human suffering. That doesn't fit Meleoren's character at all, and there's no evidence for him being Gtro besides that name coincidence.]

Anyway, it's great to see Hunter x Hunter will finally return. I just Togashi has the stamina for a long run this time.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:34 am Reply with quote
Anthology releases are only cheap ads for the collected product and the trashy looking chapters were all “fixed in post”. Art complains are thus a bit invalid and all sorts of quality series have similar (but less sever) problem as let´s say Historie. It was also only a one-time thing and i will rather live with the current release schedule than go back to those days. End of story.
We my even get a new anime arc in let´s say a decade... Wink .
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Varin15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it's gonna return!! for only one chapter.. then it will take another 2 year hiatus lol
Danny123100

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:21 am Reply with quote
I want to be excited, but I imagine it's going to end fairly quickly. I think there's about one more chapter left until they can start selling the next volume, though i'm not 100% on that. So I wouldn't be surprised if he whipped out one chapter to get the next volume finished, get the cash from all the new volume sales, and then go on hiatus again. I'll honestly be really surprised if we get two chapter, but I definitely don't expect this to be a long lasting thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6