• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Spinoff Manga Boruto Launches on May 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tajima

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Shippuden tried to be serious, and we're fed up with it.

You got some sort of multiple personality disorder, or are you actually trying to speak for someone other than yourself? Rolling Eyes
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
I'm not THAT enthused by this. Naruto is my favorite series (though I think the BEST series is canon FMA), but I felt the story was pretty much over with spoiler[the end of the war and Naruto becoming Hokage.] Making another series further hints that Jiraiya's peace was never gained, ruining the series' thematic development. This is little more than a cash-grab, just like all of the stuff that has come out since the manga ended (and the fillers).
It's not so much a thematic inconsistency as it is a shift in generational values. It'd be completely unrealistic and unlikely to have peace restored for all of eternity. And I highly doubt whatever issues do arise in this series will be on the magnitude of Madara and Obito's onslaught. Jiraiya's main values will still be embedded into the will of fire that encompasses every ninja's core. This series has always been big on parallels to the past and allusions to "what used to be" anyways.

That being said, I'm extremely ready for this new series. People will dub it a cash grab, and perhaps it is, but that doesn't dilute any excitement that I have. Kishimoto is supervising so he'll ensure things are still cohesive while letting a younger and capable writer take the helm for a slightly unique twist. I think this is a great recipe. I could be wrong though. But it's always cool to be optimistic!

First off, sorry for the rip-off typo in my first post; I meant to jest that if BoruSara became canon it would be ripping off Harry Potter's idea of "the whole trio is related so there can't be shipping wars!" - both of which obviously backfired (although in reality I think the pairings rip off Goku x Chi-Chi and Vegeta x Bulma).

Moving on, I can't rid you of your enthusiasm; as a Narutard myself, for the record, I'm also gearing up for this series. But here's the thing. Whenever I go into a series, I always look for a way that the series can have a real world impact, basically have a core message that the audience should try to follow as an example. The social outcast concept was a good start but unrealistic AT INCEPTION. The theme of peace introduced in the Pain arc, however, is what made me fall in love with this series. After doing a lot of analysis, I came to the realization that the four Shinobi World Wars might be parallels to the four greatest global scale wars of the past century (WWI, WWII, the Cold War, and the War on Terror respectively), and that this series would try to give a resolution, that being to spread love as much as possible to the people who need it most as said by Hagoromo. After that I hoped for an ending that would show what we should ultimately achieve, and the near-perfect peace exemplified that perfectly (although the technology boost kinda bugs me). I know full well that perfect peace is unrealistic, but this is a work of fiction. You can be as idealistic as you want as long as you have a purpose behind it. I wanted that to show that true peace can be obtained so that the audience can actually strive for a certain Nobel Prize. Doing this new series kinda makes it look like it will never end - especially when the two recent movies proved that the enemies will not be Madara and Obito scaled but instead will be Kaguya (aka the OP fruit ninja that started everything) scaled - making the series feel... pointless.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:55 am Reply with quote
About as unescesary as my appendix and about as aoinful to have about as well! My only hope is it's more like the recent mini series as that was actually rather fun.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
That being said, I'm extremely ready for this new series. People will dub it a cash grab, and perhaps it is, but that doesn't dilute any excitement that I have. Kishimoto is supervising so he'll ensure things are still cohesive while letting a younger and capable writer take the helm for a slightly unique twist. I think this is a great recipe. I could be wrong though. But it's always cool to be optimistic!

Well, as a supervisor, he can supervise as much or as little as he wants. Personally, I'd say that's the best kind of compromise between Shueisha wanting the Naruto franchise to continue at any cost and Kishimoto wanting to take a load off of drawing manga. Though him being a supervisor might prevent him from getting the family time he so desperately needs.

theNightster wrote:
why can't they let this series just die? it dropped in quality a long time ago

It's still making money. And from the perspective of Pierrot, it's the only major series they have left.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
I'm hoping Viz will release this in tankobon form.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
I'm hoping Viz will release this in tankobon form.

You have any doubts they won't? Anime hyper

90% sure it'll be in the Viz WSJ anyway.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Though him being a supervisor might prevent him from getting the family time he so desperately needs.

This probably won't be a tremendous drain on his time. Since he's not even credited with writing the script, I assume his personal involvement will be limited to giving his seal of approval, offering little notes and pointing out any continuity inconsistencies the team misses. The Naruto light novels also credit him as a supervisor, and given how bad the two I read were, I'm assuming this title is more symbolic than anything else.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
I know the whole story of Naruto but I've only read volumes 01-27 and 63-72 of the original manga. The rest I know from the Ultimate Ninja Storm games and the anime. But I have the entire series on my bookshelf now so I guess it won't be long before I read the whole thing in one go.

I saw that the whole shipping/ending debate reared it's ugly head in the last page. Honestly, I don't get it. I mean Amy explained it in an article on ANN so I guess I know what's going on, but my own experience is completely different. When I was reading the manga week-to-week and keeping tabs on what was being said on deviantART, I got the impression that NaruHina was everyone's favourite ship and everyone wanted to see it happen. I knew there was a shipping war going on but I dismissed it seeing how I had already been through the whole Zutara vs. Kataang bullshit in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I just thought: if it's canon then I'll buy it. Besides I could kind of see it coming, Sakura had practically destroyed any chance at romance with Naruto in the Five Kage Summit Arc, and I figured that Hinata confessing to Naruto, that whole part involving spoiler[Neji's death], and the amount of screen-time she got during the spoiler[Infinite Tsukoyomi] part had to build up to something. So when I saw that the two of them ended up together in the epilogue I just thought: yeah, that's about right. I love that they still showed us exactly how it happened with The Last, and I thought the movie did it perfectly. It really felt like something the manga had built up to this whole time, so to me it earned it's name seeing how it's the last chapter of Naruto story where he finally becomes an adult. Kishimoto said that he had planned for them to end up together since the timeskip. He figured that since Hinata had acknowledged and loved Naruto before anyone else they were meant for one another. I felt the same way reading the manga, so I'm glad his and my brain met on that point.

All I can say is: I'm satisfied with the way things turned out. I know I might get shit from some people for saying all this, but I don't care. After all, since NaruHina was confirmed canon there has been a huge increase in hentai doujinshi starring the two, and I can't say no to that Laughing

Oh, and I'm looking forward to this spinoff manga too.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:21 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
I'm not THAT enthused by this. Naruto is my favorite series (though I think the BEST series is canon FMA), but I felt the story was pretty much over with spoiler[the end of the war and Naruto becoming Hokage.] Making another series further hints that Jiraiya's peace was never gained, ruining the series' thematic development. This is little more than a cash-grab, just like all of the stuff that has come out since the manga ended (and the fillers).
It's not so much a thematic inconsistency as it is a shift in generational values. It'd be completely unrealistic and unlikely to have peace restored for all of eternity. And I highly doubt whatever issues do arise in this series will be on the magnitude of Madara and Obito's onslaught. Jiraiya's main values will still be embedded into the will of fire that encompasses every ninja's core. This series has always been big on parallels to the past and allusions to "what used to be" anyways.

First off, sorry for the rip-off typo in my first post; I meant to jest that if BoruSara became canon it would be ripping off Harry Potter's idea of "the whole trio is related so there can't be shipping wars!" - both of which obviously backfired (although in reality I think the pairings rip off Goku x Chi-Chi and Vegeta x Bulma).

Moving on, I can't rid you of your enthusiasm; as a Narutard myself, for the record, I'm also gearing up for this series. But here's the thing. Whenever I go into a series, I always look for a way that the series can have a real world impact, basically have a core message that the audience should try to follow as an example. The social outcast concept was a good start but unrealistic AT INCEPTION. The theme of peace introduced in the Pain arc, however, is what made me fall in love with this series. After doing a lot of analysis, I came to the realization that the four Shinobi World Wars might be parallels to the four greatest global scale wars of the past century (WWI, WWII, the Cold War, and the War on Terror respectively), and that this series would try to give a resolution, that being to spread love as much as possible to the people who need it most as said by Hagoromo. After that I hoped for an ending that would show what we should ultimately achieve, and the near-perfect peace exemplified that perfectly (although the technology boost kinda bugs me). I know full well that perfect peace is unrealistic, but this is a work of fiction. You can be as idealistic as you want as long as you have a purpose behind it. I wanted that to show that true peace can be obtained so that the audience can actually strive for a certain Nobel Prize. Doing this new series kinda makes it look like it will never end - especially when the two recent movies proved that the enemies will not be Madara and Obito scaled but instead will be Kaguya (aka the OP fruit ninja that started everything) scaled - making the series feel... pointless.
Sure it's a work of fiction and isn't entitled to walk the line of realism, the actual series has always prided itself on being starkly more realistic than many of his contemporary peers just by the sheer amount of social commentary and allusions to real world events. As you said there are parallelisms to the multitude of wars this world has seen and that to me was also a very enticing thematic the series offered in my eye as well. I also agree that the ending was a perfect encapsulation of the series many motifs and everything thematically came to a circle in as cohesive of a way it could. This series can only reinforce what we've seen done before. The Boruto movie was a clear indication that the Kaguya plot has come a close, so there's no need to worry about intergalactic threats of that magnitude. That is why I'm lead to believe this continuation will be smaller in scale and will likely have to do with dissension among the villages dealing with a NEWER generation or possibly just drama in the Leaf village. It's clear that everyone stands united on holding the peace, and since suppressing the cycle of hatred was something Kishimoto really advocated. I highly doubt he'd let someone, especially someone he trusts with his entire work, to insert themselves in a negative way by changing up the whole theme of the series. As I said earlier, this is a chance for them to realistically show the repercussions of a world of peace and how maintaining it is easier said than done. It could be an interesting story if done well, which is also why I'm cautiously optimistic going in, but still very much excited. As far as the shipping part, Kishimoto doesn't understand romance nor does he know how to express it well (he's gotten monumentally better though), so I doubt he even has any thoughts of going down a road of shipping with that type of framework in mind.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Shirohae wrote:
animechic420 wrote:
Яeverse wrote:
Yes more stories in the original Naruto universe. I hope he has lots of SasuNaru (pre epilogue) going on.

What the hell do you mean by that???

She/HE is not satisfy with NAruto ending up with Hinata. Laughing

Actually he's probably just joking. Everyone likes to make fun of Naruto and Sasuke as being a romantic couple because of how "devoted" they are to each other over the course of the series (why the hell do you think they announced a drama CD about it several weeks ago?). Either way, SJ has been officially against gay things since recently (which is why the two lost their arms and had their blood connect as opposed to holding hands like Kishimoto originally envisioned), so it couldn't happen.

If you ARE correct, though, I'm personally a bit disappointed also, as Naruto's relationship with Sakura was FAR more balanced and developed than his one with Hinata. I guess Sakura will never catch a break, huh?

If he/she wants SasuNaru, then they should go look for doujinshi on the matter.

DON'T ever mess with canon subjects.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
I saw that the whole shipping/ending debate reared it's ugly head in the last page. Honestly, I don't get it. I mean Amy explained it in an article on ANN so I guess I know what's going on, but my own experience is completely different. When I was reading the manga week-to-week and keeping tabs on what was being said on deviantART, I got the impression that NaruHina was everyone's favourite ship and everyone wanted to see it happen. I knew there was a shipping war going on but I dismissed it seeing how I had already been through the whole Zutara vs. Kataang bullshit in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I just thought: if it's canon then I'll buy it.

From what I've seen with shipping wars, there are people on each side who are absolutely, 100% convinced their pairing will be canon and will go around acting like it is. That's why shipping wars get as intense as they do, and that's why heads practically roll the moment a series establishes a pairing as canon.

What you see going on with Naruto, at the very least, involves only characters who have been established since the beginning of the series. It gets even worse in series where an official pairing happens with an established character and a new character, because then EVERY side of the shipping wars piles hate on that character.

I do find it rather odd and unreasonable, however, to see so many Naruto fans denounce the ending simply because Naruto pairs up with Hinata or Sasuke pairs up with Sakura though. That seems to be the case of a lot of these fans having a specific ending in mind and getting upset that their vision didn't happen. That's unrealistic.

Eddy564 wrote:
Sure it's a work of fiction and isn't entitled to walk the line of realism, the actual series has always prided itself on being starkly more realistic than many of his contemporary peers just by the sheer amount of social commentary and allusions to real world events. As you said there are parallelisms to the multitude of wars this world has seen and that to me was also a very enticing thematic the series offered in my eye as well. I also agree that the ending was a perfect encapsulation of the series many motifs and everything thematically came to a circle in as cohesive of a way it could. This series can only reinforce what we've seen done before. The Boruto movie was a clear indication that the Kaguya plot has come a close, so there's no need to worry about intergalactic threats of that magnitude. That is why I'm lead to believe this continuation will be smaller in scale and will likely have to do with dissension among the villages dealing with a NEWER generation or possibly just drama in the Leaf village. It's clear that everyone stands united on holding the peace, and since suppressing the cycle of hatred was something Kishimoto really advocated. I highly doubt he'd let someone, especially someone he trusts with his entire work, to insert themselves in a negative way by changing up the whole theme of the series. As I said earlier, this is a chance for them to realistically show the repercussions of a world of peace and how maintaining it is easier said than done. It could be an interesting story if done well, which is also why I'm cautiously optimistic going in, but still very much excited. As far as the shipping part, Kishimoto doesn't understand romance nor does he know how to express it well (he's gotten monumentally better though), so I doubt he even has any thoughts of going down a road of shipping with that type of framework in mind.

One possibility for story ideas would be to travel to other continents on their planet. So far, Naruto, as a series, spans only one continent, or maybe not even the full one, as we've never seen the entire coastline of the continent. On the other hand, everyone in the series seems to treat the collective ninja region as if it were their whole world, and not once do we see them interact with anyone or anything outside of those borders.

Still, it would be pretty interesting, at least to me, for Boruto and the others to travel across the oceans, due to improved transportation technology, and encounter a continent of knights (that movie aside), or maybe a continent of cowboys, or a continent of nomads, or somesuch, all of whom have their unique flavor of techniques, like how each country in Fullmetal Alchemist has its own kind of alchemy.
Eddy564

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:

Well, as a supervisor, he can supervise as much or as little as he wants. Personally, I'd say that's the best kind of compromise between Shueisha wanting the Naruto franchise to continue at any cost and Kishimoto wanting to take a load off of drawing manga. Though him being a supervisor might prevent him from getting the family time he so desperately needs.

theNightster wrote:
why can't they let this series just die? it dropped in quality a long time ago

It's still making money. And from the perspective of Pierrot, it's the only major series they have left.
Yeah he truly deserves time off. I'm sure he's had a decent amount but after 15 years of exhausting work who's to say how much time he should have? He probably hasn't even really stopped since he plans on releasing something else soon. But he has stayed it'd be a monthly manga.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In addition, Masashi Kishimoto will publish a one-shot for his original Naruto manga in this year's combined 22nd/23rd issue on April 25.

The combined issue is 21st/22nd. It also says so on the picture.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly more interested in seeing whether a series in (Japanese) WSJ will get canceled to free up space specifically for this, or if it'll just be thicker once a month. And there's the 3rd option of it simply replacing one of the usual one-shot slots once a month. A series planned to be monthly in main WSJ is something I haven't heard of in recent memory.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, Hunter X Hunter is also coming back. Maybe the magazine will get a bit thicker. Or maybe they're expecting Yoshihiro Togashi to go on another hiatus by the time Boruto begins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3