• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Spinoff Manga Boruto Launches on May 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I do find it rather odd and unreasonable, however, to see so many Naruto fans denounce the ending simply because Naruto pairs up with Hinata or Sasuke pairs up with Sakura though. That seems to be the case of a lot of these fans having a specific ending in mind and getting upset that their vision didn't happen. That's unrealistic.

That was one reason they hated it the other reason was because of Kishimoto not having Sasuke be killed,imprisoned, or at the very least wind up a lonely hobo for his actions over course of the series never mind nothing prior to all this indicated any of these things would happen and the fact it would be be kind of redundant in light of what happens to Sasuke over the course of the entire series.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
I know the whole story of Naruto but I've only read volumes 01-27 and 63-72 of the original manga. The rest I know from the Ultimate Ninja Storm games and the anime. But I have the entire series on my bookshelf now so I guess it won't be long before I read the whole thing in one go.

I saw that the whole shipping/ending debate reared it's ugly head in the last page. Honestly, I don't get it. I mean Amy explained it in an article on ANN so I guess I know what's going on, but my own experience is completely different. When I was reading the manga week-to-week and keeping tabs on what was being said on deviantART, I got the impression that NaruHina was everyone's favourite ship and everyone wanted to see it happen. I knew there was a shipping war going on but I dismissed it seeing how I had already been through the whole Zutara vs. Kataang bullshit in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I just thought: if it's canon then I'll buy it. Besides I could kind of see it coming, Sakura had practically destroyed any chance at romance with Naruto in the Five Kage Summit Arc, and I figured that Hinata confessing to Naruto, that whole part involving spoiler[Neji's death], and the amount of screen-time she got during the spoiler[Infinite Tsukoyomi] part had to build up to something. So when I saw that the two of them ended up together in the epilogue I just thought: yeah, that's about right. I love that they still showed us exactly how it happened with The Last, and I thought the movie did it perfectly. It really felt like something the manga had built up to this whole time, so to me it earned it's name seeing how it's the last chapter of Naruto story where he finally becomes an adult. Kishimoto said that he had planned for them to end up together since the timeskip. He figured that since Hinata had acknowledged and loved Naruto before anyone else they were meant for one another. I felt the same way reading the manga, so I'm glad his and my brain met on that point.

All I can say is: I'm satisfied with the way things turned out. I know I might get shit from some people for saying all this, but I don't care. After all, since NaruHina was confirmed canon there has been a huge increase in hentai doujinshi starring the two, and I can't say no to that Laughing

Oh, and I'm looking forward to this spinoff manga too.

I don't know where the shipping started in this forum and honestly we shouldn't be discussing it. But you can't justify something in a fictional work by what happens on Fanfiction.net and DeviantArt. Fan opinions do count especially for a long-running series, but they shouldn't cause the story to deviate from what has already been established (retconning my ass) or from the overall message. That's not what happened here though. What happened was that Kishimoto took Goku, Chi-Chi, Vegeta, and Bulma and transformed them into Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, and Sakura respectively (it's not hating; the fact that Naruto is so derivative is one of the series' biggest criticisms). However, as seen in the only chapter of Kishimoto's first manga, Karakuri, you will notice that Kishimoto truly believes in the true love being a Hinata-like character. After that Kishimoto decided, for whatever reason, to have Naruto like Sakura (while in Karakuri the Naruto-like character likes the Hinata-like character in the exact same fashion), inevitably creating the screw-up we have today when Kishimoto tried to make everything work out in his DBZ-cloned vision.

I think there are a lot of NH fans because of many people relating to Hinata. However, they probably also still think the Chunin Exams are the Naruto bible without considering everything in Part II. As the series developed, I came to the conclusion that Hinata was one-dimensional. Her whole backstory involving Hiashi and Hanabi was somehow relegated into Neji's, making her crush practically her only character trait - which is sad because she has one of the best back stories out of all the Konoha 11. From there it was just a downward spiral for both characters, as Kishimoto became reluctant to have Sakura let go of Sasuke, probably in fear of losing the character despite having actually made new plot threads for her, and Hinata's screen time had two big moments in Part II and spent the rest of it doing her usual thing. Ultimately I entered the NS camp because not only do they have good chemistry (ah, tsunderes), but they also had real development (while NH needed The Last). As for the Five Kage Summit thing, Sakura lied to try and protect Naruto from Sasuke without hurting his feelings (after all, he just had himself mauled by Karui), and Naruto just took it as a way for her to try and give up Sasuke (since he joined the Akatsuki).

If I were Kishimoto, I might have had Naruto return Hinata's feelings when he returned to Konoha after meeting Nagato, instead of having Sakura hug Naruto while Hinata goes "....." (seriously; look it up). Romance in Naruto needs serious improvement, and it's kinda sad - I mean, even his wife is NS!

Last edited by Gemnist on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Characters that should have their own series or miniseries:

* Minato
* Hashirama/Tobirama/Madara/Izuna
* The Sannin
* The Otsutsuki

List to be expanded.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I do find it rather odd and unreasonable, however, to see so many Naruto fans denounce the ending simply because Naruto pairs up with Hinata or Sasuke pairs up with Sakura though. That seems to be the case of a lot of these fans having a specific ending in mind and getting upset that their vision didn't happen. That's unrealistic.

Well there are THOSE crazy fans, but let me make this clear. Just because I prefer NS and don't like that aspect of the ending doesn't mean I denounce the ending outright. Frankly, the entire thing was predictable from the get-go - because, you know, this is shonen.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
That was one reason they hated it the other reason was because of Kishimoto not having Sasuke be killed,imprisoned, or at the very least wind up a lonely hobo for his actions over course of the series never mind nothing prior to all this indicated any of these things would happen and the fact it would be be kind of redundant in light of what happens to Sasuke over the course of the entire series.

Well, major themes in Naruto are forgiveness and redemption, the former being that the right thing to do is to forgive everyone and the latter being that there is no one who is beyond redemption. I think it'd go against those themes if characters Naruto tries to talk through like Gaara, Nagato, and Kabuto are forgiven but Sasuke is punished.

Gemnist wrote:
Well there are THOSE crazy fans, but let me make this clear. Just because I prefer NS and don't like that aspect of the ending doesn't mean I denounce the ending outright. Frankly, the entire thing was predictable from the get-go - because, you know, this is shonen.

That's fine. I wasn't actually addressing you specifically, but that I keep finding people who complain about the ending because the characters weren't paired up the way they wanted.

Maybe those are mostly kids who are new to shipping and are excited about it.
pikabot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:50 am Reply with quote
Oh lord almighty. Just let it die with the shred of dignity it has left to it, please. This is going to be so awful.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm more excited for this knowing that Kishi won't be writing. I thought Naruto got better and better to a point but when it fell off it fell hard. The war arc was pretty bad in the manga and that ending was abysmal.

Better someone else take the reigns as I think it's a rich world that people could make a ton of good stories in.

Ambimunch wrote:
Shippuden tried to be serious, and we're fed up with it. Please go back to being quirky and funny and full of heart.

Thank god Japan doesn't listen to random dudes on the internet when making content decisions.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
Oh lord almighty. Just let it die with the shred of dignity it has left to it, please. This is going to be so awful.

Not until the franchise becomes unprofitable.
Origin of Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
I know the whole story of Naruto but I've only read volumes 01-27 and 63-72 of the original manga. The rest I know from the Ultimate Ninja Storm games and the anime. But I have the entire series on my bookshelf now so I guess it won't be long before I read the whole thing in one go.

I saw that the whole shipping/ending debate reared it's ugly head in the last page. Honestly, I don't get it. I mean Amy explained it in an article on ANN so I guess I know what's going on, but my own experience is completely different. When I was reading the manga week-to-week and keeping tabs on what was being said on deviantART, I got the impression that NaruHina was everyone's favourite ship and everyone wanted to see it happen. I knew there was a shipping war going on but I dismissed it seeing how I had already been through the whole Zutara vs. Kataang bullshit in Avatar: The Last Airbender. I just thought: if it's canon then I'll buy it. Besides I could kind of see it coming, Sakura had practically destroyed any chance at romance with Naruto in the Five Kage Summit Arc, and I figured that Hinata confessing to Naruto, that whole part involving spoiler[Neji's death], and the amount of screen-time she got during the spoiler[Infinite Tsukoyomi] part had to build up to something. So when I saw that the two of them ended up together in the epilogue I just thought: yeah, that's about right. I love that they still showed us exactly how it happened with The Last, and I thought the movie did it perfectly. It really felt like something the manga had built up to this whole time, so to me it earned it's name seeing how it's the last chapter of Naruto story where he finally becomes an adult. Kishimoto said that he had planned for them to end up together since the timeskip. He figured that since Hinata had acknowledged and loved Naruto before anyone else they were meant for one another. I felt the same way reading the manga, so I'm glad his and my brain met on that point.

All I can say is: I'm satisfied with the way things turned out. I know I might get shit from some people for saying all this, but I don't care. After all, since NaruHina was confirmed canon there has been a huge increase in hentai doujinshi starring the two, and I can't say no to that Laughing

I don't know where the shipping started in this forum and honestly we shouldn't be discussing it. But you can't justify something in a fictional work by what happens on Fanfiction.net and DeviantArt. Fan opinions do count especially for a long-running series, but they shouldn't cause the story to deviate from what has already been established (retconning my ass) or from the overall message. That's not what happened here though. What happened was that Kishimoto took Goku, Chi-Chi, Vegeta, and Bulma and transformed them into Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, and Sakura respectively (it's not hating; the fact that Naruto is so derivative is one of the series' biggest criticisms). However, as seen in the only chapter of Kishimoto's first manga, Karakuri, you will notice that Kishimoto truly believes in the true love being a Hinata-like character. After that Kishimoto decided, for whatever reason, to have Naruto like Sakura (while in Karakuri the Naruto-like character likes the Hinata-like character in the exact same fashion), inevitably creating the screw-up we have today when Kishimoto tried to make everything work out in his DBZ-cloned vision.

I think there are a lot of NH fans because of many people relating to Hinata. However, they probably also still think the Chunin Exams are the Naruto bible without considering everything in Part II. As the series developed, I came to the conclusion that Hinata was one-dimensional. Her whole backstory involving Hiashi and Hanabi was somehow relegated into Neji's, making her crush practically her only character trait - which is sad because she has one of the best back stories out of all the Konoha 11. From there it was just a downward spiral for both characters, as Kishimoto became reluctant to have Sakura let go of Sasuke, probably in fear of losing the character despite having actually made new plot threads for her, and Hinata's screen time had two big moments in Part II and spent the rest of it doing her usual thing. Ultimately I entered the NS camp because not only do they have good chemistry (ah, tsunderes), but they also had real development (while NH needed The Last). As for the Five Kage Summit thing, Sakura lied to try and protect Naruto from Sasuke without hurting his feelings (after all, he just had himself mauled by Karui), and Naruto just took it as a way for her to try and give up Sasuke (since he joined the Akatsuki).

If I were Kishimoto, I might have had Naruto return Hinata's feelings when he returned to Konoha after meeting Nagato, instead of having Sakura hug Naruto while Hinata goes "....." (seriously; look it up). Romance in Naruto needs serious improvement, and it's kinda sad - I mean, even his wife is NS!
Origin of Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:

Last edited by Origin of Darkness on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Origin of Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Paul D. Atreides wrote:

That way Sakura and Hinata is a rip-off Bulma and Chi-Chi thanks to Kishimoto and the true Bulma and Chi-Chi is Nami and Boa Hancock.

I glad that Naruto got a new Author cause Kishi is the worst.
Origin of Darkness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I'm more excited for this knowing that Kishi won't be writing. I thought Naruto got better and better to a point but when it fell off it fell hard. The war arc was pretty bad in the manga and that ending was abysmal.

Better someone else take the reigns as I think it's a rich world that people could make a ton of good stories in.

Ambimunch wrote:
Shippuden tried to be serious, and we're fed up with it. Please go back to being quirky and funny and full of heart.

Thank god Japan doesn't listen to random dudes on the internet when making content decisions.

Me too Kishimoto Suck
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I don´t expect to stick around as there is no narrative reason to re-boot with a directionless clone of the former protagonist but it´s at least "only" monthly, for now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3