• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Ultimate Guide to Anime Ending Credits: Part I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
Another super article! Looking forward to more and it's a huge plus to include the GIF's so one can see what is being talked about. It is animation after all! And the "insert specialty" animation director credit really resonates with me artistically, there are some great artists whose work I love to see, credited or not, because it is so distinctive and good and no one else in the industry does it. Parts of the opening of Shin Sekai Youri Ep3 come to mind.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
Yuyucow wrote:

One thing I decided not to mention to keep things more simple is instances where the key animator even does the in-betweens for a scene, like those amazing Kameda cuts in Brotherhood. Happens to people like Ohira as well, they do animation so complex that they can't trust outsiders to finish their sequences as they intended. There's also Mitsuo Iso's full-limited animation (no in-betweens to begin with, all keys), but that's all so exceptional that only people with a more keen interest would care.

Are there any plans to eventually do an article about those particular cases? That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm really into. I'm guessing Dennou Coil had a lot of that then. The animation in that show was exceptional a lot of the time. Almost seemed like rotoscoping with how human the character animation felt.
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
As for Kizumonogatari, I take it Xebec and PA Works were either second Key or In-Between animators, correct?

Thanks for the replies Phil and Yuyucow. I'm not a kanji reader so I'm not sure what their involvement was. It seemed like a section with several studios all listed together. Once the BD is out I hope to check the encyclopedia here Wink
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
The layout that you attributed as being rough is not a layout, but a storyboard. Two very different things.

This is a rough layout -

Interesting note - Layouts often come with the matching backgrounds in CG series. Often times, you'll have the background layout done by the background artist, and douga artwork for the scene either traced onto that layout or douga that has already been scanned into the computer for the cut will accompany the package. Most layouts will tell you the episode number and the cut, or scene, where the background will be used. Most series reuse backgrounds, and in these cases, you'll often get a couple of different layouts that were used with the same background.

Layouts are some of my more favorite paper production artwork to collect. 9 times out of 10, the layouts are far more detailed than the artwork that went under the camera. I own a lot of Cardcaptor Sakura layouts and all but a couple are really well drawn.
Yuyucow

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:01 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
The layout that you attributed as being rough is not a layout, but a storyboard. Two very different things.

Imaishi's Gurren Lagann one? I was talking about storyboards there...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Yuyucow wrote:
Imaishi's Gurren Lagann one? I was talking about storyboards there...

Oh, ok. I figured you'd want to talk about a rough layout as it was in the layout section.

Assuming you haven't already done so, I think your article would be stronger if you contacted people who own the original production artwork and asked to use it. In this case, the layout you're showing is missing critical information that the majority of layouts have, even in CG series. I understand that you're trying to highlight the complexity of a layout, or even the artwork that goes into producing an anime in general, but there's so much production artwork out there that not only would showing the originals make for a stronger case, but would be easier to tailor to the needs of the article.
TehDarkPrince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
"Producing even a single episode of TV anime takes months"

Wait, so what about those horror stories about an episode being ready only a few minutes before needing to air? Then doesn't the next episode only have 1 week to be done? Or do the different task get started right away?

A show has multiple episodes in production at the same time, staggered by airdate, with important/heavy episodes getting the greatest amount of lead time.
Chipp12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:07 am Reply with quote
I've found this quite informative article about the process of creating animation by BTOOOM! director some time ago, would be great if it also be translated/used somewhere (or just be of use) as well:
株式会社マッドハウス所属 監督 渡邊こと乃さんの「アニメ演出いろは!」講座★
Quote:
ザックリと納品までの流れは...
企画→ 脚本→ 絵コンテ→ レイアウト→ 原画 →動画→ 
スキャニング → 仕上げ→ 撮影→ 編集 →ダビング →納品
です

これさえ覚えておけば、流れは完璧!
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Blackiris_ wrote:
Kimiko_0 wrote:

Just because few people read them doesn't mean it's not insulting to the creators. How can folks claim they love anime and not even have the decency to keep the creator's names attached?

Because many people care more about clean openings than credits they cannot read? And if you're looking for staff credits, there are far better sources than OP and ED credits. Like, anime databases and stuff.

I think the creators are more concerned that people are distributing their stuff for *free*.

Granted that most people can't read Japanese, but it doesn't mean that credits are boring devices just to show cast and staff names. There are some anime titles out there that cleverly use credit as an graphic art device which I found it amusing (Good example: Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika). Having their names shown to audience is still a form of appreciation even though audience don't pay much attention. At least it makes audience aware that there are many people involved in making their favorite media.

Also creators do care about having their names displayed in the show they worked on. For creators, credit acts as a "resume" for future projects and it acts as directory of industry insiders for newbies who want to enter the industry.

Database is only good as credits are shown in the original source. Someone has to put the source information into database as long as he/she can maintain motivation.

Blackiris_ wrote:
Some people might even say it's disrespectful to the OP/ED animators and artists that font covers major parts of the pictures. It's all a matter of perspective. But I'll refrain from using the word decency in any case.

I can't disagree that most people don't care about credits, but I see it as a trade-off for watching free entertainment media. Replacing credited OP/ED with clean one gives me impression that we're too entitled.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Chipp12 wrote:
I've found this quite informative article about the process of creating animation by BTOOOM! director some time ago, would be great if it also be translated/used somewhere (or just be of use) as well:
株式会社マッドハウス所属 監督 渡邊こと乃さんの「アニメ演出いろは!」講座★
Quote:
ザックリと納品までの流れは...
企画→ 脚本→ 絵コンテ→ レイアウト→ 原画 →動画→ 
スキャニング → 仕上げ→ 撮影→ 編集 →ダビング →納品
です

これさえ覚えておけば、流れは完璧!

Here is the translation:

Approximate process flow from start-to-finish:

Planning -> Script -> Storyboard -> Layout -> Key animation -> Inbetween animation -> Scanning -> Ink & Paint -> Composite -> Editing -> Sound Recording -> Finished Product

You're all set once you memorized the process flow
eliram

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
Great read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3