• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Watches Late Night Anime in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cetais

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Also somebody not wanting to watch a show because it is shoujo is the same as someone not wanting to watch another show because is sport. They Simply don't like, for whichever reason, the category.
I think it's a shitty reason. I mean, you can get some action packed shoujo and all. For me, that's more like saying you don't want to play a game because it has the ESRB tag "For Everyone".

Even worse when those people who doesn't watch shoujo watch shonen which focuses largely on romance... Ugh.

Moroboshi-san wrote:
Well, if someone puts homos in my pantsu-and-boobs-show I quite deliberately won't buy it.
For the number of girls on girls action in those show, there must be not quite a lot you buy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:29 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
What Shonen Show is Aimed at Women?
Gintama. Also a lot of males are into Escaflowne. I agree that they are there for a reason, and they intended for a specific audience. There are instances where people just don't care, look how many men like Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju at the moment, even though it is Josei.
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Many shonen manga with fujoshi appeal usually have all the pretty boy and gay-subtext played up in the anime adaptations to cater towards them. It's the reason why shows like Black Butler and Pandora Hearts are notoriously known as fujoshi fare despite running in shonen magazines. Also, while sports manga have been popular for a long time, the recent rise of sports anime can arguably be attributed to all the fangirls buying everything up.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
Well, if someone puts homos in my pantsu-and-boobs-show I quite deliberately won't buy it.

Not a fan of Shomin Sample then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Kuroko's Basketball? Plenty of shounen shows with manservice appeal to women.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:28 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
bigivel wrote:

I agree! The list is quite big, but this is coming down to tight and gritty semantics so I think people aren't volunteering ideas just to avoid getting sniped by some guy that knows more terms to use to define it. Men have been into Shoujo and Females have been into Shounen for decades. Sports anime are typically considered Shounen, and a lot of the recent sportsy shows are posting overwhelming female numbers.

An opposite example, Magical Girls are clearly for little girls, and have gained a Bonus Demographic of older males. However there are obviously Magical Girl Shows made for the pure purpose of being marketed first to Men.

I'd bring up more examples, but I fear that if two groups were equally targeted I'd still wind up wrong, or that if only one man watched a show more than a female, then the female demographic will be discounted entirely.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Combined multiple sequential posts. --willag

VoidWitch wrote:
^
That's the problem. If it's not supposed to be helpful for consumers why make it public then?
Not being forced? What are you talking about? Manga magazines are categorized by demographic, not by a genre for example. And there are plenty of people who are unhappy about that or so i heard.
This is anti-consumer BS made to force people into buying things they don't want.

Public? You understand that majority of manga Magazine don't have the "shonen", "shoujo", ... Name on them right? For example "Afternoon", "Corocoro", "Cookie" magazines. None of them have any explicit indication that they are Seinen, Kodomo and Shoujo magazines, respectively. Majority of magazines are like that. Also I don't know why people talk like this is a Japanese thing, and only specific to manga. Western Magazines also work like that. Example of that are the fashion magazines, "Men Fashion" and "GQ" are Fashion Magazines for Men, while "Vogue" and "Female" are Fashion Magazines for Women. Note how I showed 1 magazine with indication of its demographic and 1 without it, for both demographics.

So you think that a magazine just with 1 kind of genre is better? For example, A magazine that has only action series, where there are series both directed to kids, Boys, Girls, Young Men and Young Women?
With my Fashion Magazine example, basically you're talking of a Magazine that talks just of Shirts, both Women and Men ones.

"Forcing people into buying things they don't want" -> Again this is Target audience not Hit audience. This indicates who they are targeting not who should buy it. Nobody is forcing nothing.

There is nothing anti-consumer about making it know for who you're making your product, is quite the opposite.

MarshalBanana wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Gintama. Also a lot of males are into Escaflowne. I agree that they are there for a reason, and they intended for a specific audience. There are instances where people just don't care, look how many men like Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju at the moment, even though it is Josei.

You're confusing Aiming something at somebody and who you hit with it. Gintama is not Aimed at Women, Gintama Has a big Female Fanbase!

JennLegacy wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Many shonen manga with fujoshi appeal usually have all the pretty boy and gay-subtext played up in the anime adaptations to cater towards them. It's the reason why shows like Black Butler and Pandora Hearts are notoriously known as fujoshi fare despite running in shonen magazines. Also, while sports manga have been popular for a long time, the recent rise of sports anime can arguably be attributed to all the fangirls buying everything up.

Fujoshi appeal, doesn't mean it is aimed at them. Majority of what appeals to Fujoshi isn't aimed at them at all, especially because what they are into, in this case, is fantasizing with something that isn't in the series. For Example: Osomatsu is totally not aimed at Fujoshi, though is the most recent and most famous series with Fujoshi appeal.

Note that having a little of catering to a group doesn't mean you're aiming the series at them. Toriko has gay-subtexts, it doesn't mean it is aimed at people that like to read gay stuff(in this case specifically Fujoshi).
Giving a nod to someone in your product, doesn't mean you're aiming your product at that person.
In the end is the same as in genres, there is a line between a series being of a genre or just occasionally, or in isolated instances, using aspects of that genre(Example: Shokugeki no Soma had 1 chapter heavily in Ping Pong. Was that enough to make Shokugeki no Soma a Sport series? Nope) .

I don't read Black Butler, but of what I heard and saw of it that is probably one of the rare cases of a Shonen series aimed at Women. Though, is it really directed at women?
I'm totally in the dark about Pandora Hearts!

Still, I don't see where this "many" Shonen are aimed at Women comes from.

MajorZero wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Since when is "Appeal to" = "Aimed at"?

Also Kuroko's Basketball has no Manservice!

Last edited by bigivel on Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Demographics are useless in late night anime, for example, you can show all but 1 every Manga Time Kirara adaptation to kids, Tamayura is even more harmless than those. Haikyuu airs awfully late but it's can be shown to all but preschoolers. Heck, they are useless for primetime, Gundam is still airing in primetime and it's not for kids.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Gintama.

Being popular with women is not the same thing as being aimed at women. If it runs in a shounen magazine, it's aimed at boys, regardless of how popular its female fanbase is.

bigivel wrote:
Still, I don't see where this "many" Shonen are aimed at Women comes from.

Misinformation on the internet, and people applying American gender norms and cultures on Japanese sodiety. In America there might be stigma about guys seeing chick flicks or girls being into male dominated media like comics, but in Japan it's fairly different and more gender neutral with things like peripheral demographics. In the west if a show stars a female it gets written off by men, but in anime you see comments like "Why would men watch Kuroko no Basket or Free? There are hardly any girls in them!". Even if a series runs in a shounen magazine, they think guys only watch anime or read manga for boobies, and the idea of reading a series for the story or characters is lost on them. In America if you said guys wouldn't watch a movie or show because it's about men playing sports you would get the weirdest looks from people.

Hoppy800 wrote:
Heck, they are useless for primetime, Gundam is still airing in primetime and it's not for kids.

If you are referring to Iron Blood Orphans then that is a kid show, but mecha has been losing the young demographic in Japan for years now. Kids are losing interest in robots in favor of proxy battle shows, which was why Build Fighters was a thing. While Gundam and other mecha shows are still marketed to kids, it's mostly adults who still cling on to them because kids have moved on from the genre. Mecha has been in a weird position for awhile now. They still try for the kid demographic, but kids want Pokemon and Yokai Watch.

-Stuart Smith

Last edited by Stuart Smith on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Since it's clearly not aimed at fans of Slam Dunk? You're arguing semantics here. The truth is, publishers and creators are exploit whatever demographics they can. This is why you have more sport shows like Kuroko's Basketball and Free! and not hella lot of things like Hajime no Ippo and Major. Traditional gender and age based orientation is outdated and can't cover demands of the market.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia is apparently seinen, but you'd never be able to tell unless you were explicitly told. Razz

Also, Black Butler had 90% female 10% male viewers when it aired.

Don't forget Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, which was actually reprinted in a shojo publication.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:42 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

Pretty much all the recent Shonen Jump sports adaptions are AIMED at women. That is why they have been such massive hits. It's very easy to see sales wise when this happens as for some odd reason the female audience do not care so much about the BluRay/DVD debate and so you'll see much higher DVD sales.

Unlike the adult male otaku audience which is stagnating, the female otaku audience, and in particular fujoshi is growing rapidly. So it's not surprising that companies will target this growing market.

ninjamitsuki wrote:
Don't forget Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, which was actually reprinted in a shojo publication.

Montly Girls Nozaki-kun is published in Gangan Online which is one of those few magazines where it would be fair to say it is not demographic specific.

Last edited by ScruffyKiwi on Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
To bigivel
Corocoro demographic - Kodomo (male)
Cookie demographic - Shojo
(if you are talking about) Monthly Afternoon demographic - Seinen.
You are clearly misinformed.
Majority of magazines ARE NOT like that. There are very little magazines with mixed demographic and even then they either targeted at male or female audience. Do your research.

Fashion magazine vs manga magazine? Really? We are talking about magazine strictly about fashion versus compilation of manga works of different genres in one magazine.
Shirts are not a genre.
"You think that a magazine with just 1 genre is better" ?
Yes. That is how anthologies work for example. American Horror Story is compilation of stories and all of them are about horror. No romance or comedy.
Edit: I mean ffs there are even compilation of stories that aim at one very specific thing. Like dragons for example.

As i said. Demographics are useful for companies to sell ****. Not for consumers.

"There is nothing anti-consumer about making it know for who you're making your product, is quite the opposite."

(If we are talking about media forms)It's a double-edged sword. We are talking product vs art(craft) here. This is a whole another issue of companies filling their product with painful cliches in order to appeal to a certain demographic. Art is not supposed to give people what they want, but what they need. But that is a whole another discussion to have. Don't want to start a ****-show.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
MajorZero wrote:
bigivel wrote:

Since it's clearly not aimed at fans of Slam Dunk? You're arguing semantics here. The truth is, publishers and creators are exploit whatever demographics they can. This is why you have more sport shows like Kuroko's Basketball and Free! and not hella lot of things like Hajime no Ippo and Major. Traditional gender and age based orientation is outdated and can't cover demands of the market.

Though it is, it is totally aimed at fans of Slam Dunk(The author is a great fan and that is the reason why he decided to do a manga about basket!). And Slam Dunk had a huge female fanbase as well! Yep at that time you also had girls that loved to see pretty boys, what a shock!

exploiting a peripheral/secondary demographic is something that always and everywhere is done. Though is not what is being talked here.

How is it just semantics when we using 2 different verbs that means 2 different things? Appeal and Target. Now you gonna tell me that "Sing to" and "Dance to" are just a matter of semantics.

Meaning:
Appeal -> "a quality that causes people to like someone or something"

Target -> "the person or group that someone is trying to influence, sell something to, etc"
MajorZero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Though it is, it is totally aimed at fans of Slam Dunk(The author is a great fan and that is the reason why he decided to do a manga about basket!).

So, because creator is a fan of Slam Dunk it means that Kuroko targets the same audience?
Quote:
How is it just semantics when we using 2 different verbs that means 2 different things?

Okay, you're not arguing semantics (still, for some reason you're fixated on words which have been used during discussion). But can you back up any of your claims with statistical evidence? It would be nice to see some data on who actually buys stuff like Kuroko's Basketball.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5