• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Who Watches Late Night Anime in Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ice_tea

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:

Obsession with high school characters are not only reserved to otaku. Most Japanese live action dramas are in High school environment. I suppose that is because of nostalgia or because the obsession with been young.

HOW MANY Japanese TV dramas have you watched? Sure, if all you have watched are those with high schoolers from different years, you get the impression that Japanese live action dramas are mostly high schoolers. But that's not the truth.

I follow them every season. And I can say that the number of TV dramas about high schoolers are very small.

Here are the recent 3 seasons of Japanese TV dramas:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Japanese_Drama_Season_-_Winter_2016

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Japanese_Drama_Season_-_Autumn_2015

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Japanese_Drama_Season_-_Summer_2015

The vast majority of them (like 90% or more) each season have adults as main characters and are about adult life. Do your reseach. Of course some longer dramas (early morning time slot, NHK Taiga) show someone from childhood to adulthood. I still think those are dramas about adults, only showing how he/she has grown up because the show is long enough.
poonk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
Most Japanese live action dramas are in High school environment.
As someone who watches quite a bit of J-drama I have to disagree with this statement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bathory67

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
ice_tea wrote:
Removed flamebait lines. Leave name-calling out of arguments. --willag

Late night anime's audience is indeed otaku (male or female). But I still think most 'otaku" are supposed to be teens or young adults. That's the reason why a lot of anime features high schoolers/middle schoolers as main characters and with a lot of teen life situations (like who has a crush on who while denying it, such trival stuff). Someone older than that age range is obviously not supposed to be an anime fan in Japanese society. And even if they are, they are not suppsed to make up the majority of the audience (even the authors/companies think so). Older adult otaku have to somewhat put up with all the middle/high schooler characters in anime. They might not like it, but they have to put up with that to keep watching anime.

Or maybe the older adult otaku are also identified with all the anime teen.

WTF, they make shows with heavy ecchi every 3 seconds while the characters are still talking about who has a crush on who while denying it, while blushing!

I do not care if the characters are teens or not ,if the story is good I will watch it .

I find alot of shows with teems more interesting then with adults.I am 31 years old and I am here for the good story and animation.

The age of the characters is my less of my concern.
ice_tea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote
Bathory67 wrote:

I do not care if the characters are teens or not ,if the story is good I will watch it .

I find alot of shows with teems more interesting then with adults.I am 31 years old and I am here for the good story and animation.

The age of the characters is my less of my concern.

I can understand if you are a male and no matter what age, you will still find all the harem/ligh novel anime interesting. They target the demographic (male) for a reason, and they know what they are doing. They know what kind of audience they are targeting.

I do not care if the characters are teens or not either. But the fact is, I don't find most anime with all those teens interesting at all. It's their stories that are bad (to me), not the age of the characters. I usually only like maybe 2 or 3 anime shows every season.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

No one here is in particular talking about the western market. We're talking about trends in Japan.

I did not use the phrase "only watched by women". I said TARGETED at women. For instance I'm a male and watched and enjoyed both seasons of Free!. Free! as a show was very definitely targeted at women and I am not the target audience. That does not mean I cannot enjoy watching the show.

It's pretty clear looking at sales over the last few years that the female okaku and fujoshi has been growing while the male audience has been static. The recent smash hit Osomatsu-san has been largely driven by female otaku. Like I mentioned before the best way to follow this is to look at the DVD to BluRay sales split on a show. Shows with a larger female fandom will have a higher percentage of DVD's in total sales.

This is very true. Look at the way ComiKet has so many female creators and fans. Or the Haru Comic City 21. Even when I go to Kinokuniya and look at magazines, it's obvious how many are trying to sell anime stuff to female audiences (both nostalgic and new stuff). A lot of high-erups in manga, anime and merch are realizing what a large and growing market female audiences are, and are rightly so trying to actively target them more.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
From the looks of it, gender demographics are starting to become an outdated measure. For instance, despite being intended for girls, Sailor Moon attracted quite a noticeable following from the male demographic throughout much of its airing.

This is partially true, looking at manga mostly.
But this also isn't new. Even though BSSM did get a fair male following, I think the anime got a larger following than the manga, and even between both it was still very aimed at and carried by female audiences.

For another parallel, Creamy Mami got a pretty big male following. The director and team were very aware of them (because they would write to them), but the show was created to sell toys to little girls, girls were still recognized as the largest audience, and the team made no effort to cater to the male audience (because the director wanted to make a show that could empower girls). Even with PreCure and similar titles, this is the case.

HeeroTX wrote:

Bleach is a show with a LARGE female fanbase, as is One Piece, they are still TARGETED to boys, but go to Japan and you will see that Prince of Tennis is clearly TARGETED to women. NONE of the merchandise goes in the "male" sections of stores, none of it highlights features appealing to (hetero) boys. Just because something runs in WSJ (the single most read manga magazine in all of Japan if not the entire world) doesn't mean it is "targeted" to boys. With other magazines, that's likely true a large percentage of the time, but not with that one.

(Also, regarding demographics, I believe WSJ (and probably most others) actually DOES capture a fair bit of data with their polls (since they give away prizes and all and do a fair bit of data parsing according to Bakuman, so I imagine they have a pretty good idea who is reading their magazine at any given time)

Your whole comment was spot on (being in a magazine doesn't mean it is only or mainly targeting the intended gender demographic), but also this point. I think sometimes we in the West don't know or realize how ubiquitous some titles are, or how they break down in readership. One Piece is literally popular with everyone. Families watch it together, young people read it, etc. And it is very clearly popular with male and female audiences (and if you hop onto fan sites or Pixiv, you see a whole lot of male characters drawn by female fans). The head companies realize this and cater to its fans well too. The recent White's Day stuff from OP was a good example, but also look at the figures coming out. Plenty of the female figures are sexy, but have you all seen Sanji's figure? Pretty sure they know how popular he is with women. ♥ (And I am so glad.)

H. Guderian wrote:

An opposite example, Magical Girls are clearly for little girls, and have gained a Bonus Demographic of older males. However there are obviously Magical Girl Shows made for the pure purpose of being marketed first to Men.

Not just older males, but also a whole of older women recently. Even shows like Aikatsu! seem to intentionally make light references to older shojo and magic girl shows and evoke that feeling, and according to the creators, the biggest audience just behind the little girls are the adult women. Bandai is also realizing this because they recently had a clothing line aimed at women from the show. Even PMMM, which was very obviously for older men first, is now being marketed and catered to women more lately (between fashion and general merch). I think this is pretty fair too, since most of the creators for the MG shows aimed at little girls do keep their focus, and don't mind adult fans (as long as they're not imposing; there have been some sad messages. . .).

bigivel wrote:

Public? You understand that majority of manga Magazine don't have the "shonen", "shoujo", ... Name on them right? For example "Afternoon", "Corocoro", "Cookie" magazines. None of them have any explicit indication that they are Seinen, Kodomo and Shoujo magazines, respectively.

And this has been cleared up by others, but this just bothers me. Really, almost none of the titles of the manga ever have their demogaphic clearly on them, but there are big patterns in their naming. (Ribon, Cookie, Nakayoshi; very feminine words and for magazines that are shojo; seinen ones at times seem girly, but aren't as cutesy, kind of reflects the material well for things like K-On or GA, right?)

Also, manga are often categorized by publisher and demographic when it's the tankobon, but if I remember right, the magazines themselves are sold under spots that actually label the demographic. Heck, the covers of magazines themselves indicate the demographic, so no, nothing ever says "this is shojo!" because the demographics are clear as day for people in Japan. Nothing is more explicit than the naming pattern, cover and where it is labeled. (But we also do have magazines that are trying to mix it up, like Sylph and I think, Aria.)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I would argue that, as far as western animation goes, while the intent would be to market to the same demographic as a show's main characters, what actually happens is that kids gravitate towards shows with main characters slightly older than themselves. Those shows set in high school like Sixteen or My Life as a Teenage Robot get audiences of tweens or younger. This goes for live action aimed at children: Not a lot of high schoolers actually watched the High School Musical movies.

Some of them are more savvy than that though. There is a reason the humans in Chaotic are fashionable, attractive late teenagers (with a few exceptions, of course): Those are what gets the kids to watch.

As for adults though, that's when it all goes out the window: As long as the main characters are adults, or the marketing plays up the idea that the show is not for kids (like South Park), adults will come watch.

Cetais wrote:
I don't know how many times I heard "It's classified as a shoujo, why would I watch that" ...

Two things at work there: I'd bet some of these people are used to TV shows in the west being aimed at specific demographics, and to them, it'd be akin to an adult watching Totally Spies! (which some did, for less-than-pure reasons); the other being that, if it's mostly guys saying that, there's the notion that it's embarrassing and emasculating for a guy to watch a show aimed at girls. As is mentioned in the article, this seems to happen in Japan too.

rizuchan wrote:
I strongly disagree with this. I hang around a lot of anime sites that have mostly male posters and shoujo stuff gets talked about a lot. I think the way a lot of anime romance shows (ie VN and LN adaptations) are male-focused has opened up a lot of male viewers to all romance shows, and they don't seem to know or care whether its a shoujo or seinen romance. And Jousei stuff, while not mainstream, always gets recommended when people talk about "anime for adults about adults".

And even then I've seen a lot of anime fans open to surprising stuff. When I was in college and Netflix was adding their first Funimation anime, I had so many guy friends embarrassingly admit to me they loved Fruits Basket and Ouran. And I refuse to read too far into why so many guys seem to like Card Captor Sakura and PreCure...

Interesting. Maybe it's different years or different places I grew up in, but with a few exceptions like Sailor Moon, most of the guys I knew who watched anime as I was growing up was drawn to it by its hypermasculinity. My high school's anime club would show ultraviolent stuff like Kite or cool-robot stuff like Brain Powered. (Then again, the club's leader had 100% control of the club, so we really only watched what he was into.) The guys I knew who weren't part of the club almost all got into anime through Dragon Ball Z and would later find series like Fist of the North Star.

The only other show with a sizable female audience I know of that a lot of guys were into was Fruits Basket. I didn't even know romance was a major pillar of anime and manga until much later.

All that aside, I live in a place where the word "gay" is still thrown around everywhere to refer to something displeasing or unappealing.

VoidWitch wrote:
Also demographics are kinda BS. I can understand something like REAL to be seinen, but Wondering Son? Doesn't make any sense to me.
Categorizing by genre is sooo much more helpful. IMO

Depends on your role in this system. As a viewer, genre is definitely helpful. Same with creators, if there are some you know you can rely on to produce something you like.

From the network's point of view, however, demographics are important. It gives them information on who's watching, and why they're watching. A show can fail overall but be strong in particular demographics, and it can be saved in that way. The earliest example is Star Trek: The Original Series, which actually got the whole demographics thing started when it had a pretty early cancellation, then someone discovered it performed incredibly strongly with young men (but little else). Subsequent installations of Star Trek would be written with the young male demographic in mind, and it's become an enduring success since.

In other words, just because the show is getting low numbers overall does not mean the show is a failure. If it's doing strongly with one specific chunk of the population, then that means it has a dedicated viewer base and not a fleeting one that low numbers across demographics would have.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Fujoshi have been around forever but they're pretty new in Western audiences. Most shows with the heavy fujoshi audience were never released in America until around Hetalia. Now thanks to streaming sites when stuff like Kuroko or Omatsusan pop up it's more noticeable compared to the 90s and 00s where Rintama Nantaro, Prince of Tennis, and a bunch of other anime were unheard of by American audiences. It might also be why people mistakenly think the series are aimed at women exclusively.

-Stuart Smith

The other thing is loudness. The guys I've known who read sports manga and/or watch sports anime are almost always quiet about it, but the girls are often quite passionate, really getting invested into the characters and getting quite emotional about them. Maybe they're a vocal minority, or a vocal majority, I have no idea. But they're vocal.

If what I experienced is indicative of the audiences for these series as a whole, I'd say the impression that these shonen sports series have a mostly female audience because that female audience is the loudest, and in turn, get priority on merchandise (most visible with Free!).

As a westerner though, I can't really think of any examples of franchises aimed at girls that then got a lot of really loud guys that caused marketing and merchandise to aim towards the guys, as these franchises would be rare to begin with due to the stigma of a male consuming media aimed at women. The closest there's been is My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, but both marketing and merchandise have firmly stuck to aiming at girls with the guys a secondary market. Same thing with the original series for The Powerpuff Girls: To my knowledge, this was a series aimed at girls (maybe? it's ambiguous) but the guys were the loudest; however, all the merchandise I saw for the series was strictly for girls.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
From the looks of it, gender demographics are starting to become an outdated measure. For instance, despite being intended for girls, Sailor Moon attracted quite a noticeable following from the male demographic throughout much of its airing.

For the case of Sailor Moon, I think it's because it was advertised, both in Japan and outside, that it's okay for guys to like it. Definitely, with the huge male viewership for stuff like Pretty Cure, it stuck in Japan. It kind of dropped off in the United States once Sailor Moon's run on Cartoon Network ended though.

Times are slowly changing though. More boys in the United States are now willing to watch TV shows and movies (and read literature) with female protagonists. Even if stuff like Zootopia and Star vs. the Forces of Evil require a male deuteragonist who's almost as important as the protagonist, it's still a step towards tolerance--stuff like that would've prompted boys to exclaim "Ewwww girls!!!" and "Ewwww cute!!!" when I was little.

Re:SOUL wrote:
It's funny that you said this because I can't help but think of Young Justice which CN cancelled because it was appealing to girls more than to boys who were their target demographic.

I wonder if it's a widespread practice for people who run American TV channels to force demographics onto particular shows. It would explain the insistence of merchandise towards a show's target demographic rather than embracing peripheral ones.

I can definitely see why: An unintended but major part of being a TV executive is the appearance of looking competent and responsible for calculated successes--an accident, even a money-making accident, might make an executive look incompetent, which can cost them their job. When you're an executive, you have a Sword of Damocles hanging over your head made of other people in the company who want to be an executive too and believe they can do a better job than you do, and a slip-up like Young Justice becoming popular with the wrong audience could be enough to oust you. (It probably won't, but they're not taking chances.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5