• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fairy Tail and Fairy Tail Zero

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
Now when fairy Tail Zero has ended, anime shall continue with the main manga. What do we do? Rename Fairy Tail Zero into Fairy Tail (TV3), add a separeted entry, or combine FT (TV2) and FT Zero?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:31 am Reply with quote
I don't follow FT myself, but why would something with it's own distinct name be changed? Why not leave it as FT (TV1), FT (TV2), FTZ, FT (TV3)? The relationships will note how they all flow anyway.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:23 am Reply with quote
It looks like FT will go on hiatus on March 26, so nevermind, I guess.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't follow FT myself, but why would something with it's own distinct name be changed? Why not leave it as FT (TV1), FT (TV2), FTZ, FT (TV3)? The relationships will note how they all flow anyway.

Because Fairy Tail Zero isn't a separate series, it's a ten episode arc in Fairy Tail 2014. I'm not sure why it has it's own entry. It was never announced as a separate series. It should be deleted or merged with Fairy Tail 2014.
Superion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
Dessa wrote:

Because Fairy Tail Zero isn't a separate series, it's a ten episode arc in Fairy Tail 2014. I'm not sure why it has it's own entry. It was never announced as a separate series. It should be deleted or merged with Fairy Tail 2014.

I came here to say this.
I can bring about half a dozen reasons as to why it's not a separate series, ALTHOUGH I have to point out that the entry for "Fairy Tail Zero (TV)" doesn't have an "Episode titles" part, whereas "Fairy Tail (TV 2/2014)" does, and it counts 102 episodes, among which Zero is referred to as an arc. So that's puzzling, but I'm curious anyways.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
[OK, while the site is working again and I'm not I will quickly post this since it's been sat in my browser for hours]

From the FAQ thread:
Dan42 wrote:
The Golden Rule is that a new season should always be submitted as a separate series

This especially the case here where "Fairy Tail Zero" both had a unique name, was a prequel, was based on a different work to the main series, had it's own promotion site (which I can't find for any other "chapter" or "arc")

Superion wrote:
the entry for "Fairy Tail Zero (TV)" doesn't have an "Episode titles" part

That's because no-one has submitted them.

Quote:
whereas "Fairy Tail (TV 2/2014)" does, and it counts 102 episodes, among which Zero is referred to as an arc.

That's because someone submitted them in the wrong place.
Looking at who submitted them and their stance in this very thread (and on World Trigger) it is hardly coincidental.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Superion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's the deal:

It's own promotion site refers to Zero as "新章", which translates to "new chapter" or "new section". If it was indeed a new series, it would have been referred to as "新シリーズ", most likely.
TV Tokyo's website referred to the series as "Fairy Tail" during the Zero arc, see here. "Zero" seems to be part of the episode title. This is reinforced by the episode titles in the episodes themselves, especially if you compare all this to an another episode title from before the Zero arc. From this it is fairly obvious that "Fairy Tail Zero" (or "Zero") is part of the episode title, just how "Tartaros Arc" was part of the titles during the previous storyline's episodes, and not the title of the series.
Another proof of Zero being part of "Fairy Tail (TV 2/2014)" is that in episode 90, they had a next episode preview for the first episode of the Zero arc, and in episode 100 (the last episode of the arc) they had a next episode preview for episode 101, the first episode of the next arc.

All in all, seeing how excessively was Zero (both its manga and anime incarnation) advertised, it's not surprising that it was mistaken as a separate series, but that is not the case. If it was, it could have run parallel to the main FT series, but instead it was nothing more than a story arc, and that's why it should not have its own entry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1