• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Spring 2016 Anime Season.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's that time of the quarter already, so let's check the upcoming offerings for spring, shall we?

Charts:

http://anichart.net/spring
https://www.livechart.me/spring-2016/tv

Sequels:

Sailor Moon Crystal S2: The first season was sooo terrible and easy to hate it was entertaining. I do like the new artstyle, but I'm honestly hoping it'll suck, because otherwise I fear it's just gonna be mediocre and dull.

Concrete Revolutio LAST SONG: I actually loved the first season, it got better as it went along, and I'm very ready to see what'll happen now that the two timelines have converged

Jojo Part IV: More Jojo's is always more better BD

Sinbad no Bouken: This is a no-brainer since I'm following the manga and always felt the OVAs weren't good enough. Very excited for this

UshiTora 2
: I miss this show so much and can't wait to have it back! More tsundere Tora please!

Macross Delta: I watched the pilot episode, and while I wasn't really impressed by it, I still want to see where it goes. Hopefully it won't be too terrible

Definitely watching:

Bungo Stray Dogs: This is my most anticipated show of the season. I'm passionate about historical characters reimagined in anime, and I've studied quite a bit about 20th century Japanese literature, so this is extremely up my alley. I really hope it doesn't disappoint because I'm so excited about it.

Boku no Hero Academia: I like the artstyle and the concept and it's a JUMP show made my Bones, so I'm really looking forward to it, it certainly looke like it's gonna be fun

Sakamoto desu ga?!: I never expected this one to get an anime since it's so short, and I'm very happy to see it did. Sounds cool and fun and the manga has very good critiques.

Super Lovers: I remember dropping the manga out of boredom, but it's a BL show and those are so rare I won't pass it up unless it's gross rapey shit a la Ten Count

High expectations:

Kuma Miko: This sounds really cute and the colors and style look adorable. The premise makes me think of Gingitsune, and I liked that show, so I hope this one's good too

Joker Game: More historical anime! My only concern is whether it's gonna be part of the nationalistic current that some anime have taken as of late. It reminds me of Senkou no Night Raid, which was okayish.

Kiznaiver: This definitely looks cool, I like the style quite a bit and I'm very ready to see Trigger doing a real project. Love the character designs and I'm eager so know how they're gonna use the "kizuna" concept

Will check out
:

[b]Ace Attorney[/b]: I've never played the games, but they have a huge following, and I think it may be a good opportunity to see what it's about

Kotetsujo Kabaneri Fortress: The PV is literally screaming Attack on Titan ripoff, but it looks cool, the animation and character designs are pretty neat. And it's a noitaminA show. The Amazon Prime deal won't pose a problem, it's not like i've ever had qualms about using alternative means for all the stuff I'm region-blocked for by Funimation

Flying Witch:
This looks really cute! It could be boring, but I like the idea of a slice of life magic story. I hope it's good

Kuromukuro:
I'm just interested in what P.A. Works is gonna do with a not strictly slice of life thing. I don't have much expectations, but I'll check it out.

Mayoiga: I'm just curious about this show that literally got crowdfunded like a week ago. The premise sounds interesting, let's see how they handle it

May check out (if the reviews and reactions are good)

Shonen Maid: I don't know why, I just have a feeling it could be fun. Idk, if it gets good reviews I'll check it out

Twin Exorcists: There seems to be some hype around it, so if the reactions are good I'll give it a chance

Endride: The Key Visual looks neat, I really have no other excuse

It's a very busy season with a lot of stuff I'm super stoked about, I hope I'm not brutally disappointed by any of my top picks
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, there are only two (shoujo) titles I'm interested in: 12-sai and Shounen Maid.....so....that's fine because there are many older shows I need to catch up on. lol
Sailor Moon S2 would be on my watch list....if only I could tolerate Mitsushi's Usagi but she hurts my ears so I'll wait for the dubbed version. x_X (which is MUCH easier to listen to and more enjoyable tbh)

Oh, I'm happy about Seraph's OVA. Yae :'D
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Well I haven't really been watching too much anime since I started a new job. I was hoping that the new season might have some interesting stuff to come back to, but I am really unimpressed with what I'm seeing.

Ace Attorney looks like it will probably be interesting.

I'll probably watch the Sinbad show, just because I enjoyed Magi a lot.

Seisen Cerberus seems like the seasonal RPG show. I'll probably check it out since I enjoy RPGs so much, and maybe they'll do some interesting things with the fantasy elements.

Everything else looks either "meh" or bad.

Super Lovers, in particular, has me shaking my head. First of all, why do they use these ridiculous titles? Maybe that's just the English title but, jeez. I like checking out BL stuff, but I really feel like the quality of the vast majority of BL is so abysmal. This feels like it is going to be the usual "older guy forces himself upon younger guy. Older guy is a total lech and gets beat up occasionally for his lechery so we can feel like he's being adequately punished. At some point younger guy decides maybe older guy isn't so bad, cause he secretly has a heart of gold, and we get to some equilibrium where they are a couple but older guy still gets beat up sometimes when he goes to far."

The preview video seemed like it was indicating a similar direction here. Maybe it will surprise me, but that's what I am expecting.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:05 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Super Lovers, in particular, has me shaking my head. First of all, why do they use these ridiculous titles? Maybe that's just the English title but, jeez. I like checking out BL stuff, but I really feel like the quality of the vast majority of BL is so abysmal. This feels like it is going to be the usual "older guy forces himself upon younger guy. Older guy is a total lech and gets beat up occasionally for his lechery so we can feel like he's being adequately punished. At some point younger guy decides maybe older guy isn't so bad, cause he secretly has a heart of gold, and we get to some equilibrium where they are a couple but older guy still gets beat up sometimes when he goes to far."

The preview video seemed like it was indicating a similar direction here. Maybe it will surprise me, but that's what I am expecting.

Take my word with a grain of salt because it's been years since I tried to read the manga, but from what I remember that was hardly the case. In fact, I don't remember the older guy being too eager to make advances on the younger one, let alone try to force himself on him. Like I said before, it's been years, and I did drop it out of boredom, but that's what I remember
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

Take my word with a grain of salt because it's been years since I tried to read the manga, but from what I remember that was hardly the case. In fact, I don't remember the older guy being too eager to make advances on the younger one, let alone try to force himself on him. Like I said before, it's been years, and I did drop it out of boredom, but that's what I remember

That's pretty much accurate. Only the younger one is actively seeking a romantic relationship - the older one has no clue what he wants, and mainly sends really mixed messages. It's an interesting case for me in that I'd probably still have an issue with their relationship if it existed in real life, but because it's fiction, I can enjoy it because they're both such well-realized characters.

That's not to say that you won't be bored by it again. For better or for worse, the manga is pretty slow-paced, and I have no idea if the anime will choose to fiddle with the pacing or not. (And if it does, if it will do so successfully.)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
To me, "mixed messages" sounds like a euphemism for "occasionally gets grabby/lecherous, but actually has a heart of gold."
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:48 am Reply with quote
Ushio and Tora is coming back NOW? I thought that would be a summer release! That and Macross Delta are the only things to look forward to, mainly because if anything here is mecha they aren't advertising it well. Remember when anime had robots? Peppridge farm remembers.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:03 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
To me, "mixed messages" sounds like a euphemism for "occasionally gets grabby/lecherous, but actually has a heart of gold."

*shrugs* That's really not the case, but I'm not going to try to shove the show down your throat. I can't blame anyone about being leery of yaoi in general and yaoi with an 8 and a half year age difference in particular, considering the genre's track record with consent. And like I said above, if the relationship existed in real life, I'd consider it to be cause for concern, so make of that what you will.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
To be honest the age difference isn't a huge deal for me. And I have no problem with the concept of yaoi in general. The problem for me is that anime producers are such lemmings. Someone came up with this default setup of seme uke with the usual agressive older guy who totally can't control himself around a younger boy and thus ensues a series of "courting" attempts that usually involve groping or some other form of nonconsentual actions. Then he always gets beat up just so we can feel ok because look, he's been punished. Maybe he learned his lesson. Oh, maybe not, cause there he goes groping again, that scamp!! Better beat him up again! For me, I hate it due to the formulaic nature in addition to the fact that it is a pretty bad stereotype. I would really like to see some BL/Yaoi that takes a unique approach.

And ok I understand you are saying you don't think this one is like that, but I watched the preview and that is literally what they showed. There was probably at least 3 scenes of the older brother getting kicked or punched because he went too far and had to be punished, so what am I to think?
Ammonite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
[Post deleted]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1