• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk TV Anime's Cast, Staff, July Premiere Unveiled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:36 am Reply with quote
The VAs (they were fine) are being kep and the rest are new no names. GEMBA on 3D duty is fine but no new footage means that the producers have no faith in the production.
I officially expect nothing anymore but we can only move up and at least 1 new Susumu Hirasawa song is coming. Almost worth it already...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The VAs (they were fine) are being kep and the rest are new no names. GEMBA on 3D duty is fine but no new footage means that the producers have no faith in the production.
I officially expect nothing anymore but we can only move up and at least 1 new Susumu Hirasawa song is coming. Almost worth it already...

Just an FYI, this was just from a magazine article. We should be getting at least a new trailer, if not other new information, this weekend at the Anime Japan event.
Souther

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
^
The rest of the voicecast are popular/experienced, I think the cast is looking pretty good.

Ali07 wrote:
snip

Ah, okay, my bad.

Valhern wrote:
snip

For me, there were a few things I liked about the movie, like the aesthetics and battles. They also made three changes which I liked; changing Guts's raider sword slightly in order to make it more plausible for him to draw from his back (his arms were too short to draw such a long sword from that position the way it was illustrated in the manga), the use of disguises during the battle for Doldrey, and Guts using a different sword for the assassination attempt. Other than that, I didn't like the movies too much. IMO, trying to condense the Golden Age into 3 movies was a hopeless task to begin with, the Blackswordman Arc would've been a better choice to adapt into a set of movies.

As for Wyald(manga spoilers coming up): spoiler[I think he was a frightening opponent for Guts to overcome and it also made the Eclipse that more frightening: if Guts and co. struggled to deal with one Apostle, an appetiser, how would they deal with the main course, well over 100+ of them? Also, I love how Zodd finished him off, and I suppose it further cemented his allegiance with the Godhand. What I didn't like about it was that it came at the expense of Casca and I fully understand why people find the graphicness of the whole affair juvenile and tasteless as well.]
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:

As for Wyald(manga spoilers coming up): spoiler[I think he was a frightening opponent for Guts to overcome and it also made the Eclipse that more frightening: if Guts and co. struggled to deal with one Apostle, an appetiser, how would they deal with the main course, well over 100+ of them? Also, I love how Zodd finished him off, and I suppose it further cemented his allegiance with the Godhand. What I didn't like about it was that it came at the expense of Casca and I fully understand why people find the graphicness of the whole affair juvenile and tasteless as well.]

I mostly agree with you. spoiler[Yes, I loved Zodd's entrance, it was spectacular, and Guts' struggle against Wyald was too. But I believe it was quite high the price for Miura to show how comparitevely different "demons" (Apostles, in this world) can be, Zodd has this noble and dignified aura on him, moreso when he is shown as some sort of antihero, Wyald is a total dickhead, and it was shown at the expense of purely distateful shock value (just beheading that farmgirl was enough) and at the expense of Casca's role as the damsel in distress, I can relatively be fine with what Griffith did, it was the epitome of dick moves, although maybe the aftermath is discussable on how effective it was.]
Tea Bag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
The staff list does not particularly worry me.

Production staff are assigned to projects, that does not necessarily reflect how good they are at their job.

With a big project like this, I imagine various people bid for the roles.

Shin Itagaki has masses of experience in various departments and that counts for more than how much you like each anime he was involved in.

You've got staff and studios involved with Evangelion to Psycho-pass.
It could be oh so much more worse.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I mostly agree with you. spoiler[Yes, I loved Zodd's entrance, it was spectacular, and Guts' struggle against Wyald was too. But I believe it was quite high the price for Miura to show how comparitevely different "demons" (Apostles, in this world) can be, Zodd has this noble and dignified aura on him, moreso when he is shown as some sort of antihero, Wyald is a total dickhead, and it was shown at the expense of purely distateful shock value (just beheading that farmgirl was enough) and at the expense of Casca's role as the damsel in distress, I can relatively be fine with what Griffith did, it was the epitome of dick moves, although maybe the aftermath is discussable on how effective it was.]

spoiler[They didn't behead the farmgirl, they delimbed her and stuck her torso on a pike.]

I'm kind of annoyed that the third film, which isn't treating the audience like nothing happens beyond the Eclipse, just flat out skipped Wyald and the bakiraka. Both of which are appropriate for the violent escalation at the end of the Golden Arc.
Grenzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't Shin Itagaki the guy who was fired from Basquash! over creative differences? If I am remembering that correctly, my confidence in this adaptation is greatly lowered. He seems competent enough at animating, but not leading a whole creative team. I'll still give this a chance however, because maybe this project will bring out the best in the staff.

All I really want is an adaptation done in full measure. If this is a continuation/soft reboot of the VAP series then I don't want to see another 26 episodes that adapt one story arc and be left hanging for a few years while they try to get another season financed. The Berserk manga is no where near over but Miura has produced enough material that they could keep this show going for years if done correctly. It would be even better if they could adapt the earlier Black Swordsman stories and put in flashbacks to the Golden Age arc to keep things consistent with the manga, but I'll take a good adaptation from the Conviction Arc forward as long as they don't condense and omit important plot elements in the name of fitting it into two cours.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3