• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toonami to Co-Produce 2 New FLCL Seasons

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Quote:
Back for the new season is FLCL series creator Kazuya Tsurumaki, serving as supervisor with director Katsuyuki Motohiro (Psycho-Pass)

This inspires about 0.000000000000000000000000000000001% confidence.

You're right, bringing back the original creator and director is such a mistake Rolling Eyes

Are you blind or a Psycho-Pass fan? The guy who made Psycho-Pass is running this thing. How does this not send an "ugh" down your spine?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
^I said they're bringing him back. Nowhere did I say they're bringing him back as the director. Are you scared that the big, bad Psycho Pass man is gonna make FLCL all dark and edgy?
TheDopeOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Why not just be happy its Back?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
^I said they're bringing him back. Nowhere did I say they're bringing him back as the director. Are you scared that the big, bad Psycho Pass man is gonna make FLCL all dark and edgy?

Um, YES. Shocked
With garage-sale buy-backs of expired properties by new owners who don't know exactly what it was but just know the name was popular and marketable, you don't know what you're going to get.
(I certainly didn't look up a Tenchi series and expect to get Excel Saga.)
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
^Ok, fair enough. I just think it's highly unlikely since Tsurumaki will be "supervising" the director and because Toonami'll have some final say on the finished product. With Jason DeMarco being the huge FLCL fan he is, I'm sure he'll have a word with the staff if any Shakespeare-quoting serial killers show up Wink
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
TheDopeOtaku wrote:
Why not just be happy its Back?

Because there's no need for it be back and some things are better off completed and left alone.
kingrat2314

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Everybody's being a bit too "grumpy gus" about this. How about we wait to see if they screw it up before claiming they screwed up. In the meantime, I'll expect the worst and hope for the best.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Highlander 2 didn't ruin the original Highlander movie.
Aliens 3 didn't ruin Alien or Aliens.

I just pretend the Highlander 2 and Aliens 3 don't exist.

I will give the new FLCL a chance, who knows, it may be good, or it may be bad. We won't know till we watch it.

Also, I never buy into the argument that there are no new stories to tell. Characters do not operate in a vacuum. If I remember right, not everything was resolved at the end of the OVAs, and even if I am wrong, there is always a new villain or a new crisis waiting in the wings. Just like in real life.

Hopefully, this will be a time skip continuation, because I am interested in seeing what happens to our little arsonist cigarette girl.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Spoofer wrote:
Japanese VAs

Most of the Japanese cast for FLCL was pretty forgettable though. Mamimi and Gaku were each voice acted by people who have never done any other voice roles. Strangely, the whole show is quite dull in its native language (I watched it out of curiosity). Even if you get all the references, the characters don't sound all that enthused to be there. Maybe Naota has the most energy in Japanese, but Jun Mizuki sounds exactly the same as Ryoko Shiraishi, and it comes across like she's simply imitating the latter's "young boy yelling out loud" style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 11 of 11