Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex of America to Release Plastic Memories, Wagnaria!!3 on Blu-ray


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4120
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:59 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

It is patently unfair to punish collectors and fans for Aniplex's actions.


Yep. It's extremely clear based on their previous actions that Aniplex will not change their prices regardless of sales. Rather than that, they will take their shows and go home(Mushi-shi, Samurai Flamenco, Nanana's Buried Treasure, all of their DVD-only releases, etc.). If you want one of their shows, you'll pay what they want you to pay, otherwise, you won't get it at all. This isn't a case where you can just boycott them and after they fail someone else will release it at a better price. Nope. They'll just stop trying. Nobody bought their super expensive DVDs so they straight up said, "we're not releasing anymore DVD-only sets". They said they have no interest in releasing catalog titles anymore either, yet they are very likely to pick up several over the next year. Why? Because they can. They have more control and that's all they really want.
Nah, this isn't the fault of a few poor souls who really like a show AoA has, this is 100% the fault of Aniplex.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3277
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
People are foolish enough to pay their prices and so they keep them like that. If they folded because they weren't getting people to buy it at those prices, that would be their fault.

Thing is, that may not necessarily mean that their shows will become cheaper if another licensor was to be releasing them in the west.

Hell, the Aniplex stuff Hanabee releases in Australia is pretty much the same price as it is in the US. I buy the Monogatari releases here, and they're the same price as they are in the US (as in whole dollar amount, not conversion). If they're $69.99USD, they're $69.99AUD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1456
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Hopefully these will be amongst the few AoA titles that get a nice discount during the holiday sale at RightStuf or I might never end up buying something from AoA.


You should probably plan on the worst case scenario.


True, but luckily it's easy to plan to not buy something in that scenario Smile I have no problem waiting to see it drop or not get it.

I'll have to disagree though on who's to blame. While obviously AoA is to blame for the high prices initially and their follow up practices (no standard releases etc), it's the consumer who is to blame for supporting it. If a product doesn't sell, the company either has to change to something that works or goes out of business. If it sells, then it will stay the course.

Bandai Visual tried to release titles for a premium, people didn't buy them, and they left the business. If people had supported them, they might still be around (Bandai leaving the US industry later not-withstanding).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4120
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
^This has already been addressed. Read my last comment. Not buying from them won't cause them to change anything. And if AoA goes out of business because we all stop buying, that just means fewer physical releases for us. They aren't going to be rescued and released by a different company for less money. Aniplex cares about protecting their domestic disc market. They can make enough streaming overseas at this point that they don't need to do any physical releases outside of Japan at all if it could potentially take away from domestic sales. If we won't pay what they want us to, we don't get to have their toys. It's as simple as that. It's not the consumers fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1456
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^This has already been addressed. Read my last comment. Not buying from them won't cause them to change anything. And if AoA goes out of business because we all stop buying, that just means fewer physical releases for us. They aren't going to be rescued and released by a different company for less money. Aniplex cares about protecting their domestic disc market. They can make enough streaming overseas at this point that they don't need to do any physical releases outside of Japan at all if it could potentially take away from domestic sales. If we won't pay what they want us to, we don't get to have their toys. It's as simple as that. It's not the consumers fault.


In your opinion.
All companies like money. If they aren't making money through AoA, it's true, they may simply stop licensing for domestic (NA) releases all together, but they also can fall back on licensing to other domestic companies after their local release sales have slowed (12-24 months) because that would mean additional revenue. If it's not profitable for them to have a local branch for short term releases, but it is profitable to license to domestic companies down the line for long term releases, they I think they would choose that over no additional revenue. What company ever says that they've "made enough money" when they can make more with little additional effort?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4149
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Or they will wait a long long time, and release another really expense set.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4120
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
^This has already been addressed. Read my last comment. Not buying from them won't cause them to change anything. And if AoA goes out of business because we all stop buying, that just means fewer physical releases for us. They aren't going to be rescued and released by a different company for less money. Aniplex cares about protecting their domestic disc market. They can make enough streaming overseas at this point that they don't need to do any physical releases outside of Japan at all if it could potentially take away from domestic sales. If we won't pay what they want us to, we don't get to have their toys. It's as simple as that. It's not the consumers fault.


In your opinion.
All companies like money. If they aren't making money through AoA, it's true, they may simply stop licensing for domestic (NA) releases all together, but they also can fall back on licensing to other domestic companies after their local release sales have slowed (12-24 months) because that would mean additional revenue. If it's not profitable for them to have a local branch for short term releases, but it is profitable to license to domestic companies down the line for long term releases, they I think they would choose that over no additional revenue. What company ever says that they've "made enough money" when they can make more with little additional effort?


Almost Every Japanese Company Ever.

If their way doesn't work, they rarely change in any meaningful way. We've seen it happen over and over and over again all across the board. Not just anime. Pretty much everything. Japanese companies are notoriously stubborn. Things happen their way, or not at all. Changing is tantamount to accepting you are wrong. Japanese companies would rather erase the existence of something, than adapt to a different market. AoA is more of a change than I ever imagined it would be. PonyCan is much more in line with what I would expect.

Your premise assumes that they are interested solely in making money here. That's not true. They are designed to protect their market. That's extremely obvious at this point. Reverse importation is absolutely a massive fear. And the best way to control it is to take as much control over their properties as possible. If they can use AoA to make money while protecting their market, great! If they can't. They go home.

And if we ever do get a re-release it's either going to be years and years down the road, or, like TarsTarkas said, it's going to be from Aniplex trying the same thing again with AoA 2.0.

What fan of a property would boycott the best and only available option to own a show they like, with literally no reason to believe they will ever have another chance to own it again? Once again, not their fault.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Covnam



Joined: 31 May 2005
Posts: 1456
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Considering every company that has either not succeeded or closed up shop in the US has had many (yes, of course, not all) of their titles get picked up and re-released down the line I'm willing to wager AoA (and PonyCan) titles would do the same.

Though I wouldn't put it past them to try again.

relyat08 wrote:

What fan of a property would boycott the best and only available option to own a show they like, with literally no reason to believe they will ever have another chance to own it again? Once again, not their fault.


The ones that feel that they're being over charged? There are also alternate options to owning these titles too. The US market isn't the only one.

And yes, it does fall on consumers to not support business practices they don't agree with.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Alan45
Village ElderVillage Elder


Joined: 25 Aug 2010
Posts: 8565
Location: Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Quote:
Considering every company that has either not succeeded or closed up shop in the US has had many (yes, of course, not all) of their titles get picked up and re-released down the line I'm willing to wager AoA (and PonyCan) titles would do the same.

They are also capable of deciding that their failure was due to the decline of physical media outside Japan and limit all future foreign distribution to streaming only. Crying or Very sad

Quote:
And yes, it does fall on consumers to not support business practices they don't agree with.


That would depend on the business practices in question. There is a significant difference between boycotting a company because they are, for instance, destroying the environment and because their prices are higher than you are comfortable with. In any case you are demanding that people not support practices you don't like, which is not the same thing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas



Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 4149
Location: Virginia, United States
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering every company that has either not succeeded or closed up shop in the US has had many (yes, of course, not all) of their titles get picked up and re-released down the line I'm willing to wager AoA (and PonyCan) titles would do the same.


Don't know about Pony Canyon, but that is not AoA's plan. AoA, or rather Aniplex are all about hoarding their titles to increase their value and selling them at beyond premium prices. It is not about reverse importation fears, but rather scarcity.

Covnam wrote:

The ones that feel that they're being over charged? There are also alternate options to owning these titles too. The US market isn't the only one.

And yes, it does fall on consumers to not support business practices they don't agree with.


That is not really a very viable option for most consumers.

As to your second comment, if the consumer really wants to own an Aniplex title, they are going to buy it because it is not going to be available later at a standard western BD price.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4120
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Considering every company that has either not succeeded or closed up shop in the US has had many (yes, of course, not all) of their titles get picked up and re-released down the line I'm willing to wager AoA (and PonyCan) titles would do the same.

Though I wouldn't put it past them to try again.


I almost mentioned it my last response, but with the way the industry is going, those future releases are much less likely to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Aniplex can make enough money internationally just from streaming revenue in a few years, to the point that physical releases aren't even necessary and will pose more of a risk to their domestic sales than anything else. At which point, no more releases outside of Japan(or at least in region A territories) for anything other than their biggest titles. Good job sticking with those morals.


Quote:
And yes, it does fall on consumers to not support business practices they don't agree with.


There's a difference between not supporting a business and blaming everyone else who supports that business. This is a matter of people ganging up on anyone who buys AoA products and literally telling them that they are the reason we can't have nice things(and calling them many other much worse names). That's extremely unfair and not true at all. To many people, owning a show is the biggest way to show how much they love and appreciate it. Not being able to own that show because there isn't a release in their language is much more tragic then spending more than they're used to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3277
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
There are also alternate options to owning these titles too. The US market isn't the only one.

Was there another market that got Wagnaria? I'm unsure if the UK did, but Australia didn't...which is why I'll be buying my first AoA release in Wagnaria 3's releases. I don't usually shell out the kind of money they're asking, but I want to own the whole series, as it is a series I want to rewatch and share with others.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4120
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
^Speaking of which, did you guys ever get that Mushi-shi Next Chapter release? I was thinking about importing it, since there isn't any other English release that I know of outside of Japan, but last I checked the listing was pulled. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Ali07



Joined: 01 Jun 2014
Posts: 3277
Location: Victoria, Australia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think so. Hell, you can't even find Mushishi on Madman's website anymore!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
relyat08



Joined: 20 Mar 2013
Posts: 4120
Location: Northern Virginia
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I don't think so. Hell, you can't even find Mushishi on Madman's website anymore!


Yeah, I noticed that. Really weird. Wonder what happened. Maybe Aniplex didn't want it to happen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group