• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Extra Game Gets TV Anime in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Fate/Extra had two different protagonists you could play as, male or female, multiple servants and multiple endings. At one point I had to even choose which female character would die and who would I save.

Wonder how you make an anime out of all that. Which protagonist and scenario you will choose that will satisfy people who have played the game and those who haven't. Unless they offer an entirely different scenario and storyline altogether.

The promotional art that I recall featured the female as the protagonist / Master. I'm betting they will go with that to seperate it from previous and upcoming works that are about Shiro and Saber.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Renasviel wrote:
@Gilarack The anime was very clearly an adaptation of a single route of the VN (Unlimited Blade Works), and not a complete adaptation of Fate/Stay Night. You are supposed to either play through the Fate route or watch DEEN's adaptation of that route first before watching the UBW anime, and then you are supposed to either play through the Heaven's Feel route or wait for the movies. You are meant to be consuming all of them to get the whole story - of course it is going to be incomplete because it's really only 1/3 of the entire thing. Think of it like one long series, instead of three independent ones.

The 2006 Fate was bad (I have seen it). UBW was bad too. So what you are telling me is that when Heavens Feel comes out those first two shows will suddenly be great? I have a hard time believing that.

This franchise is exprecting from me to watch or read the same story (with some changes) three times. That sounds like very inefficient storytelling to me. In my opinion they should have just figured a way out to filter the essence of all three storys and turn it into one single show. It's not impossible. It's just what you call an adaptation. Adapting one medium to another. They do that since the beginning of cinema.
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Merostay wrote:
Gilarack wrote:
The Anime should be able to stand on it's own

what if they only care about making money?Making anime that dont stand on their own helps with that.

I guess sometimes the answer is that easy. Anime smile
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN. The Anime should be able to stand on it's own and not confuse everyone who didn't make a summa cum laude in Type Moon.

When the UBW anime is announced together with a Fate Android version and a Heaven's Feel movie, yes, it gives a clear message that this is just a part of the full story. As far as the main story goes, it stands on its own though.
As for everything else, if you want to make the case you so clearly were itching to, how about you give more than the standard sweeping statements that warrant no serious response beyond a request for elaboration? At least in that case the derail would have been somewhat justified.
LetsEatRamen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Although ufo is arguably THE Fate studio, I personally love Shaft. THE HYPE IS ON
But I'm seriously hoping the problems in F/Z and UBW won't be appearing... Hopefully we'll get a good director for this.
spoiler[Let's pray for Saber headflips] Laughing
Gilarack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Gilarack wrote:
And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN. The Anime should be able to stand on it's own and not confuse everyone who didn't make a summa cum laude in Type Moon.

When the UBW anime is announced together with a Fate Android version and a Heaven's Feel movie, yes, it gives a clear message that this is just a part of the full story. As far as the main story goes, it stands on its own though.
As for everything else, if you want to make the case you so clearly were itching to, how about you give more than the standard sweeping statements that warrant no serious response beyond a request for elaboration? At least in that case the derail would have been somewhat justified.

When the new Star Wars movie came out there was also a lot of supplemantary material that came out with it. But I was able to understand that film just fine without it. Playing an android game should not be required to understand a show.

I think I made it pretty clear that my main problem with UBW was that there was not enough story for 26 episodes. I got bored with it. That's the worst offender! But if you insist to hear my problems with what was presented in the story itself:

!!!UBW SPOILERS INCOMING!!!

-Why the meaningless creepy Saber torture fanservice? There was no reason for the sexualisation.

-Why did the oh so caring Shirou never asked Saber if she was alright after what Medea has done to her?

-Why did Rin not get angry at Archer when he left her alone with Shinji who tried to rape her. She almost cried over Archer when he died.

-Why wasn't she angry at Shinji for what he did and even apologises to him in the second to last episode for ... whatever.

-Why is Saber just standing around watching the fight between Shirou and Archer and didm't try to help Rin instead? For a person who is normally so selfless that is a very out of character thing to do.
They just did this because Saber would have solved the problem within seconds but the needed some forced drama.

-For a person who is so inclined to help everyone around him Shirou sure didn't care about Rin much at all when she needed him most. He literally just hit himself instead.

-Why does nobody speak or act like a human being?

Those seem like small details but they are not. Every character is always talking about his or her ideals but they almost never act according to them. There, is that enough?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
The 2006 Fate was bad (I have seen it). UBW was bad too. So what you are telling me is that when Heavens Feel comes out those first two shows will suddenly be great? I have a hard time believing that.

This franchise is exprecting from me to watch or read the same story (with some changes) three times. That sounds like very inefficient storytelling to me. In my opinion they should have just figured a way out to filter the essence of all three storys and turn it into one single show. It's not impossible. It's just what you call an adaptation. Adapting one medium to another. They do that since the beginning of cinema.

Backwards, actually. The first two make the third great, in minimal details. Knowing Saber and Archer's story (which is, ultimately, the principal purpose of Fate and UBW) makes you think of their role in HF in a whole different perspective than not knowing it.

As you say, it's not impossible, I thought of it and can be done, but think of this: originally, in Fate, you get together with the three main girls, the sex scenes was one main selling point way back then, you can't just get the three altogether in one main route. Also, it's kinda the point for a decision-making game, depending on your choices you end with different endings. The routes had to be done for the game to be more appealing to otaku, it's sad, but true. Now, let's say ufotable goes and dares to make it all in one. DEEN tried, it ended terribad. You do know that the Fate fandom is...explosive, right? And that's only with one route being adapted more or less faithfully, imagine the backlash there'd be if you DARE to retouch the source material, nope, not risking that one.

And believe me, HF is really not the same one, it's VERY different from Fate and UBW. It does have that problem of Outside Event - House - Outside Event - House which I really disliked reading, gladly Ufotable had the idea to retouch that and have different sceneries for the same scene, making it a little more dynamic.

Gilarack wrote:
Snip of the points you bring with UBW.

1) Otaku like that. No, really, otaku like that.
2) Shirou has a problem with priorities and he kinda did not have the time when Archer was throwing swords at him, Saber had to protect him at that time.
3) In a sense, she believes that Archer is like a broken Shirou, and she sort of feels that there is some sort of justification to his actions, since Rin might have done that, there is no plot justification, though, since Shirou would have gone to Archer anyway, but Rin's kidnapping was done so Lancer could get his Rank E luck put to test. But for the sake of pure convenience, Gilgamesh was there to force Archer not do anything to Shinji.
4) That would be another mistake. She saved him because he is Sakura's brother, after all, I don't get also why she forgave him, must be similar to why she forgave Archer, though in this case is more pity she feels for him. Shinji sucks, but it also sucks to be Shinji, so to speak.
5) The same problem with Archer and Lancer's entrance. But this one has some sort of explanation: Saber has a conflict similar to Shirou's, that of being the eternal King Arthur, or finally being herself, Arthuria, ideal vs. reality, much like Archer vs Shirou, so she standed to watch.
6) I don't know which part you're exactly referring nor do I remember, unless you mean when Rin is free and they're attacked by Gilgamesh.

And to your last two questions, Nasu writes weird, nobody talks normal in anime, that is true, but Nasu puts it in another new level. About the ideals thing, I think it's very normal for a contradiction between the ideal and you yourself, Archer puts it "Do you want to save people or the ideal of saving people" Theory and practice are very different.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
nitpicks

pm
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Gilarack wrote:
Everything there is to learn about Shirou in UBW we find out in the second episode and from there on it's just repetition.

No, you really don't. I'm not going to say much of it wasn't repeated far too often because it certainly was, but you certainly don't find out everything there is about him that early either.

Gilarack wrote:
And I get that his character is kind of about the fact that he does not change

The fact that you can say this means you missed the entire point of Fate/Stay Night. The story in its entirety is really about Shiro changing.

Gilarack wrote:
And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN. The Anime should be able to stand on it's own and not confuse everyone who didn't make a summa cum laude in Type Moon. At least with Zero I got a story that felt complete to me.

It does though. Those things you point out not being fully explained don't stop UBW the anime from standing on its own.

Gilarack wrote:
In my opinion they should have just figured a way out to filter the essence of all three storys and turn it into one single show. It's not impossible. It's just what you call an adaptation. Adapting one medium to another. They do that since the beginning of cinema.

No, it really is impossible. You could maybe add in more story elements from other routes like the DEEN adaption did to flesh out characters that are fairly ignored in a particular route. However, the themes of the three routes very much conflict with one another so there is absolutely no way you could combine that.

Gilarack wrote:
-Why is Saber just standing around watching the fight between Shirou and Archer and didm't try to help Rin instead?

I guess you somehow forgot Lancer went off to do that very thing? It isn't like Saber would have gotten there any faster.

Gilarack wrote:
-Why wasn't she angry at Shinji for what he did and even apologises to him in the second to last episode for ... whatever.

Probably because she sees Shinji as a victim of the grail war and she is the heir to one of the three families responsible for it.

Valhern wrote:
Backwards, actually. The first two make the third great, in minimal details. Knowing Saber and Archer's story (which is, ultimately, the principal purpose of Fate and UBW) makes you think of their role in HF in a whole different perspective than not knowing it.

Archer sure, but knowing Saber's spoiler[story adds nothing as she is pretty much irrelevant.]
xFlintx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Gilarack wrote:
And don't tell me that we learn about that stuff in another route of the VN.

Yeah, but it does happen in another route, Heaven's Feel. Most people say that UBW is Shirou or Rin's route, but to me it's more Archer's route, as Fate is Saber's, and Heaven's Feel is...well, Sakura's route, but there is incredibly development for Rin, Kirei, Shirou (not the most incredible this one but more satisfying than UBW), Rider, and almost any character that got the short end of the stick recieves a better treatment.

To be completely honest, I don't believe that Ufotable did a bad work with UBW or Shirou's character at all, after reading the novel I noticed that there was a problem in the novel itself, though it is solved in HF too. But I think we're drifting from the main thread, Fate/Extra.

ubw was bad and most VN agress with that heck even nasu sligtly hinted that in a Inteview same how ishda(tokyo ghoul creator) slightly mentioned how bad the tokyo ghoul anime was , but looks like you just don't care about the route when you already say they that HF Shriou is more satisfying than UBW shirou ( i drop everything because some pussy) lol
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I'm a fan of the Fate concept...and will never play the games, so more anime makes me happy. Didn't like the original Fate anime, but I did enjoy UBW, so more Fate is welcome.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Shaft instead of Ufotable, I guess they're busy with Heaven's feel
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Archer sure, but knowing Saber's spoiler[story adds nothing as she is pretty much irrelevant.]

Hmm, considering they adapt the true ending, well, no. I was actually thinking if you play the VN and go to the ending in which spoiler[Alter Saber kills Shirou], I think it helps a lot knowing the Fate route.

xFlintx wrote:
ubw was bad and most VN agress with that heck even nasu sligtly hinted that in a Inteview same how ishda(tokyo ghoul creator) slightly mentioned how bad the tokyo ghoul anime was , but looks like you just don't care about the route when you already say they that HF Shriou is more satisfying than UBW shirou ( i drop everything because some pussy) lol

Really? Ishida gave an interview? And he said that Tokyo Ghoul anime was bad? That'd be a new one, it's very weird for a mangaka to say something like that, the only time I remember a mangaka disliked an animation project so much was Hirohiko Araki with the infamous Phantom Blood movie.

And yes, to me HF is more satisfying than UBW, but I don't say UBW is bad. In UBW you end with Shirou choosing the Hero path, regrets, suffering and all (Archer does accept it in the end, too), that's not bad, but the most we know is that he won't be Archer and that Rin will accompain him, meaning, we have a Shirou dead on serious on his ideals, ready to accept whatever comes, and it's okay.

In HF, spoiler[Shirou finds himself in a hurdle that Archer predicted, even Kiritsugu did. Save one and let many die, kill one and save many. Shirou finally reaches a break point. Both choices are right and perfectly understandable, killing Sakura makes clear who he takes as an enemy, it basically makes him his ideal of a hero. However, not killing her also makes him a hero, because he decides who to protect and who is his enemy now too, he is risking a lot, but he won't have any regrets. My favorite ending is in the one he dies, because I feel that he went and became a hero, a tragic one, like he was always fated to be. The one in which everyone survives is...not bad, but feels a little unsatisfying to me.]
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
it baffles me as to why they chose Fate/extra over hollow ataraxia(which is the actual sequel to Fate/stay night)
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the Fate series, I'm excited for this. 2017 can't come any sooner. I wish it will, 2016 has been horrible so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6