• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Enters 'VS. Four Emperors Arc'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
This is definitely not the final arc and should last a few years considering all of things they have to do during it (get Sanji back, defeat at least two emperors, go to the Wano country). The goal of the series was never to defeat the four emperors. There should at least be one final arc after this one when they actually go out to find the One Piece and likely end in a battle between the Worst Generation.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ulinox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
It still amazes me how Oda can keep a behemoth like One Piece still going strong with plot twists and amazing storylines, while you see mangas like Bleach where the story, characters and everything just implodes on itself and it becomes a mess of a manga. At least Naruto ended at a point where it was about to get too ridiculous and drawn-out. No shonen has One Piece beat, really.
EighteenSky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
Completely expected given recent events and revelations.

With lesser writers I'd be worried of some 'suspect' events occurring but I am confident Oda won't write himself into a corner with this. Even with their alliances the Straw Hats cannot scratch a Yonko. The power gap is too large. What happened on Dressrosa and Zou alone is evidence of that.

Let's see what Oda conjures up.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
It's been about a month since I caught up with this series. Looks like I was just in time for the ultimate showdown.

It's likely that Luffy will take on Big Mom and Kaido first, saving Blackbeard and Shanks for last since they are probably going to be more personal fights. And seeing how we're talking about One Piece I guess I can take the time to bring up two things that have bugged me a bit about the series.

First of all: why does Oda have Giants as a separate species when he clearly doesn't bother with realistic human proportions. Whitebeard, Moriah, Kuma, Big Mom, they're all gigantic and yet they're all human. What about Kaido and Jack, are they human too? If humans can grow so huge depending on how powerful they are then why is Elbaf the Country of Giants and not just Country of Big People?

Secondly: why does anyone bother to travel around the world in search of One Piece when they already know where it is? Just jump aboard the nearest Sky Island, wait until it floats right above Raftel (or propel it there), then jump down. Easy peasy?
Unclaimed Pants

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:37 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
Emerje wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
This pretty much confirms that Zou is the last arc in the Pirate Alliance Saga.

I don't really know how that could be the case. The whole point of the alliance was to take out the Emperors so they should be together until well after the Zou arc. They'll likely continue to stay together until they complete the map to One Piece.

Emerje
Well okay, I'm not certain about it, but the way I see is that the next Saga will be all about taking down the Four Emperors, so a 'Four Emperors Saga' would form. Of course the Pirate Alliance remains, but the Straw Hats now have allies besides pirates as well.

That's just the way I see it though.

This arc is for defeating the Four Emperors so why would you need a "Four Emperors Saga" when they're already defeated before the next saga? It would make more sense if the "Four Emperors Saga" would start now. I can't see a saga being named after taking out the eponymous characters. Your point would only make sense if you're talking about the new emperors that will be taking their place in a time of vacancy.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:
It still amazes me how Oda can keep a behemoth like One Piece still going strong with plot twists and amazing storylines, while you see mangas like Bleach where the story, characters and everything just implodes on itself and it becomes a mess of a manga. At least Naruto ended at a point where it was about to get too ridiculous and drawn-out. No shonen has One Piece beat, really.

To be fair, the latest Bleach arc covered almost all of the plot holes and hidden foreshadowing since the beginning of the manga (with the exception of some plot convinience and asspulls here and there). The quality is pretty nice nowdays in there (while Naruto was pretty good until the last arc, where tons of undescribable bullshit happened to the very end of it).
Encore22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Ulinox wrote:

To be fair, the latest Bleach arc covered almost all of the plot holes and hidden foreshadowing since the beginning of the manga (with the exception of some plot convinience and asspulls here and there). The quality is pretty nice nowdays in there (while Naruto was pretty good until the last arc, where tons of undescribable bullshit happened to the very end of it).

It's been pretty shitty lately man, last good "mini arc" was when Yamamoto was fighting Yuha and that was quite a while ago.

OT-I really hope this is not the final arc, even though the concept of 4 emperors fighting each other is mind boggling!
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:47 am Reply with quote
WHAT THE F**K!!!

It's goes without saying,but If you are thinking Luffy & his allies can defeat yonkou easily, please recall what happened in Marineford arc. It took about 100,000 elite marine soldiers,3 admirals, and an entire Shichibukai to fight one freaking Yonkou Whitebeard. When Shanks, another Yonkou showed up, they literally lost a will to fight. Hope you don't forget just how serious this shit is about to happen.

Last edited by Admiral Pizzaman on Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:55 am Reply with quote
Encore22 wrote:
Ulinox wrote:

It's been pretty shitty lately man, last good "mini arc" was when Yamamoto was fighting Yuha and that was quite a while ago.

OT-I really hope this is not the final arc, even though the concept of 4 emperors fighting each other is mind boggling!

You missed quite greatly enjoyable content then, bro, I'll just post the hype list of the chapters so far (not even including anything after spoiler[ Aizen's return yet, like motherfucking Urahara's alchemist-like bankai or damn Kenpachi being ridiculously badass everytime it appears now ]) xD

The hype moment list:

Back to the main topic:

But about One Piece, I'm sure we have at least... 3-4 big arcs left (there's just too many stuff to cover, like the Marine problems, One Piece itself, the mystery behind the Poniglyphs and even the whole Akuma no Mi thing).
GFYC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:27 am Reply with quote
I think this the second last arc I think it might be 1 year for each yonko then it's off to fight roger (I think he's alive in some capacity (ghost maybe) I don't the he'll fight him but he will meet him.
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Encore22 wrote:
Ulinox wrote:

You missed quite greatly enjoyable content then, bro, I'll just post the hype list of the chapters so far (not even including anything after spoiler[ Aizen's return yet, like motherfucking Urahara's alchemist-like bankai or damn Kenpachi being ridiculously badass everytime it appears now ]) xD

The hype moment list:

Back to the main topic:

But about One Piece, I'm sure we have at least... 3-4 big arcs left (there's just too many stuff to cover, like the Marine problems, One Piece itself, the mystery behind the Poniglyphs and even the whole Akuma no Mi thing).

tbh the latest arc in Bleach is probably my favorite ! but you know, people will still hate on it because it's kind of the "cool thing" nowdays to bash bleach and nitpick every single smallest tinniest bad thing they can find in it.
also, I jizzed my pants a little bit over this one piece news... HYPE !!
yanv

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
First of all: why does Oda have Giants as a separate species when he clearly doesn't bother with realistic human proportions. Whitebeard, Moriah, Kuma, Big Mom, they're all gigantic and yet they're all human. What about Kaido and Jack, are they human too? If humans can grow so huge depending on how powerful they are then why is Elbaf the Country of Giants and not just Country of Big People?

A little speculation on my part but there was some inter-species mingling back in the day that resulted in... well, those peoples. Otherwise, it's possible some just suffer(?) from gigantism.

Paul D. Atreides wrote:
Secondly: why does anyone bother to travel around the world in search of One Piece when they already know where it is? Just jump aboard the nearest Sky Island, wait until it floats right above Raftel (or propel it there), then jump down. Easy peasy?

You assume it's an ordinary, above-water island that is perfectly visible by any means.
Knight Baron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Like what other posts here have said, we're entering a pivotal chunk of the manga hence the announcement but I doubt this equivalents to a final saga like the ongoing Thousand Year Blood War saga in Bleach.

The VS Four Emperors Arc/Saga is probably going to be divided into the Sanji Rescue Arc, the Wano arc and probably a few more others that may lead to the arc's conclusion.

For all we know, we may see a Revolutionary World War saga before actually reaching the end.

Don't forget Dressrosa as a singular arc within the Pirate Alliance saga took a whopping 100 chapters which is around as long as Water 7 and Enies Lobby combined so nope...we're not quite at the endgame yet but I consider this saga as a bridge that's gradually going to take us there.

That being said, I'm also glad that Oda isn't wasting anytime in regards to the timeskip and all of the arcs so far have been pivotal to the grand scheme of things and not just the conventional "visit a random island" arcs we've got in some pre-timeskip arcs (Davy Back Fight was fun but it didn't contribute much except Ao Kiji's debut).
Deynard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:29 am Reply with quote
It will end exactly in 1200th chapter.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:
It's likely that Luffy will take on Big Mom and Kaido first, saving Blackbeard and Shanks for last since they are probably going to be more personal fights.

If the theories are correct, and how it ties to Sanji, the Big Mom fight probably wont be as big of an event as taking on Kaido. While that's happening Kid, Hawkins, and Apoo are going after Shanks which will certainly have an effect on his ranks even if he wins. For Blackbeard they'll ideally have the remains of the Whitebeard pirates on their side assuming Luffy can get to Marco before Edward Weevil (remember him?) gets to him.

Quote:

As pointed out during the Enies Lobby Arc there's a HUGE height difference between a large human and an actual giant. Even among giants the sizes vary from your average Elbaf giants to truely towering Oars, to the even bigger Sanjuan Wolf. The odd one is Bastille who's classified as a small giant rather than a large human. Also strength has nothing to do with size; there are weak giants and super powerful normal humans.

Quote:

The only ones that know where Raftel is are Roger's crew and none of them intend to go back or give the location. Everyone else just has incomplete parts of the highly guarded directions there.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4