• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Piece Manga Enters 'VS. Four Emperors Arc'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering how strong yonko are it sounds like sanji might get rescued and luffy will get his ass kicked and maybe rescued by shanks or his dad? That would make it a slightly smaller arc and still keep it going enough for luffy to actually get strong enough to face a yonko because if doflamingo was that strong and doflamingo worked for kaido because he was scared of him it really shows their strength then there's no way luffy can take down a yonko when he barely managed to take down doflamingo
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is it ever gonna END?

It will most likely cause if you haven't been up to date, spoiler[they say that there are 4 more Poneglyphs that we have yet to see, two of which that two of the Yonko, while the other is MIA. All of which will lead to the final island in the Grand Line, Raftel.]
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quite simply, if this were the final arc, Oda would have said it was the final arc - plain and simple. Theorizing anything about whether this is the end is useless, unfounded, speculation, let alone trying to time it out. There are no telling how many additionally enemies that could be in the way, how many potential Blackbeard-esque or Donflamingo-like characters to turn up. It doesn't even presuppose the success of Luffy's group successfully beating any of the emperors - it's not as though they haven't lost before and had to regroup. This arc could end up being nothing more than an initial bout with the emperors, perhaps a shakeup where only three emperors are left, and a re-balancing along those lines.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
There are no telling how many additionally enemies that could be in the way

Err, no. These things have a rhythm. I mean, sure, you can shove in whatever you like, but if you don't time it right the result will look forced and play awkwardly. Oda's been running the work long enough that you should have a decent idea of the rhythms he uses.

The flipside of this is that we can look at the rhythm and timing and predict what's likely to happen for a reasonable distance out.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is it ever gonna END?

It has been established that the Staw Hats need to go to four different and specific islands before going to the final island. Before that, the Straw Hats need to bring Sanji back to their crew. And they have to deal with three Yonkous at the same time. And we don't know how many locations the Straw Hats need to enter before going to all of the five mentioned islands.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Is it ever gonna END?

It has been established that the Staw Hats need to go to four different and specific islands before going to the final island (they are currently on one of them). Before that, the Straw Hats need to bring Sanji back to their crew. And they have to deal with three Yonkous at the same time. And we don't know how many locations the Straw Hats need to enter before going to all of the five mentioned islands.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Ozzy4k wrote:
Considering how strong yonko are it sounds like sanji might get rescued and luffy will get his ass kicked and maybe rescued by shanks or his dad? That would make it a slightly smaller arc and still keep it going enough for luffy to actually get strong enough to face a yonko because if doflamingo was that strong and doflamingo worked for kaido because he was scared of him it really shows their strength then there's no way luffy can take down a yonko when he barely managed to take down doflamingo

Doflamingo didn't work for Kaido out of fear he simply supplied Kaido
with fake zoan fruits to give to his crew likely for something in return like money or Kaido allowing Doflamingo to operate in territory under
his control.

That aside though why do people assume that the Strawhats are going
to fight the Red Haired Pirates I mean they possibly could but nothing in the story has really hinted at that and it's been established Luffy and
Shanks won't meet until Luffy has fulfilled the promise he made with Shanks which likely won't happen until Luffy finds One Piece.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

to fight the Red Haired Pirates I mean they possibly could but nothing in the story has really hinted at that and it's been established Luffy and
Shanks won't meet until Luffy has fulfilled the promise he made with Shanks which likely won't happen until Luffy finds One Piece.

The promise was to give Shanks the Straw Hat back if Luffy became a great pirate who made a name for himself. Considering Luffy's carreer and the fact that he has his own fleet now might already be enough. Well, Luffy will definitively deal with Kaidou, Big Mom and Blackbeard in the near future. I hope Shanks will help him. Or better, the Yonkou may become the Gokou before Luffy defeats the other three Yonkou.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

That makes part of Luffy promise! That he will gather a crew stronger than his and that it will beat it.

Also Luffy said to Law that he will go after Shanks, but Shanks just can't be the first!
Ahmazein

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:19 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting arc title, let us not forget, that right now, its only clear on what 3 of the 4 dare doing. Luffy is going to Big Moms island. Kaido is in Wano, we also have Captain Jack attackign Zou now, and then Blackbeard is on his way to where Dragon and the revolutionaries are because Burges is there. So we have no idea where or what Shanks is currently up to as far as i know. Then we also have that upcoming meeting of the leaders in different countries too.
emmanuel.wilsonjeffers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
now i wish i really was following the manga as many animes i've watched leave you hanging as it were at this point i only care about love interests lokking at you ranma1/2 but i digress this is exciting and im hoping luffy and crew get that MC/MCcrew boost bcuz lokking forward doflamingo was alot harder then lucchi but both gave luffy trobule and luffy potentially had to push his limits again for a short burst which imo won't work and law with his power decreases his life force so i mean oda know's best but from many animes i've seen this wuld usually be the time for a zenkai boost if u will even tho they dud have the 2yr training luffy for sure needs it the power of friendship/plot amour can't work forever Anime hyper
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
That's interesting. I would've expected the next arc to be something like Sanji Rescue Arc, Big Mom Arc, Kaido Arc or Wano Arc. I guess those will just be sub-arcs.

MajinAkuma wrote:

It has been established that the Staw Hats need to go to four different and specific islands before going to the final island. Before that, the Straw Hats need to bring Sanji back to their crew. And they have to deal with three Yonkous at the same time. And we don't know how many locations the Straw Hats need to enter before going to all of the five mentioned islands.

It was my understanding from what was said that spoiler[the 4 islands the red poneglyphs gave locations to were simply used to locate on a map, Raftel,] not that they actually had to visit each one.

bigivel wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

That makes part of Luffy promise! That he will gather a crew stronger than his and that it will beat it.

Also Luffy said to Law that he will go after Shanks, but Shanks just can't be the first!

Yeah, I'd be surprised if Shanks was anything but Luffy's last fight in the manga.
SheWolfSmart007

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Wow Eiichiro Oda have 900th chapter volume like a year.. how long will be ending this chapter volume? I remember Tite Kubo was ended Bleach since 2012 Confused Confused
Ozzy4k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:59 am Reply with quote
It just says vs 4 emperors could be that different crews will fight different emperors or they all fight against each other. also if all the straw hats have to do is defeat these four emperors and goto each Island then why can't the strongest emperor who's closest to one piece just go get it that's why I think there's still a long way to go cus if even after being as strong as an emperor they still couldn't get the one piece then they would have be even stronger than all the emperor and somehow do something or figure out something that none of these other super pirates have figured out even though they've been around for much much longer
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
Indeed, this is far from the ending.

And I think people are getting too literal with the title. Because it says the Four Emperor's Arc, doesn't necessarily mean Luffy will be encountering all four Yonkou. Instead, I think this Arc is going to get to the heart of who are the Yonkou and what they are about. Which very well could reveal the truth of the World Government and maybe a connection to One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4