• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Kingdom Season 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rpgothic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:50 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed Kingdom when it was originally streaming and brought the dvds straight away when release, however I can't seem to find who the dub cast for the series is? The dvds don't seem to say anyway and Nor did funimation website when I last looked.

Also there are some great titles in the collection featured
Ame_Sama19

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Studio Pierrot's Kingdom is an adaptation of Yasuhisa Hara's manga of the same name, which has been running in Shonen Jump for the last decade.

Kingdom runs in Weekly Young Jump, not Shonen Jump.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Kingdom becomes pretty good as soon as it's past the first major arc. Once it goes into the actual war it's great.
But it truly shines in the second season. It looks WAY better then the first season and campaign that takes the large part of it is absolutely amazing, mainly because of the enemy general, who kinda reminded me of Fate/Zero's Rider.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
rpgothic wrote:
I really enjoyed Kingdom when it was originally streaming and brought the dvds straight away when release, however I can't seem to find who the dub cast for the series is? The dvds don't seem to say anyway and Nor did funimation website when I last looked.

Also there are some great titles in the collection featured

The dub situation is rather odd for Kingdom. We would normally have a cast announcement, and for some reason the subbed version is the default audio setting. I know some people were speculating that the dub was outsourced, though that would also be very unusual since they only outsource in order to get a prior cast. I'm kind of wondering now why it wasn't done sub-only.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
The dub situation is rather odd for Kingdom. We would normally have a cast announcement, and for some reason the subbed version is the default audio setting. I know some people were speculating that the dub was outsourced, though that would also be very unusual since they only outsource in order to get a prior cast. I'm kind of wondering now why it wasn't done sub-only.

I've only seen the first two episodes and with no actual cast list I can't be 100% sure of who's in it, but it definitely sounded like a Blue Water dub. Not one mixed with Ocean voice actors either.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

I've only seen the first two episodes and with no actual cast list I can't be 100% sure of who's in it, but it definitely sounded like a Blue Water dub. Not one mixed with Ocean voice actors either.

Not only did it sound like a Blue Water dub, it also sounded absolutely dreadful, even for BW's standards.

The actor for the main character was okay, but everyone else just sounded terrible. Easily the worst dub I've heard this year. Mad
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:

Anyone know possible actors?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
My copy of the Eden of the East box set arrived a couple days ago so I spent the weekend rewatching the entire series. EotE is one of my favorite shows from the 2000s. It's billed as a political thriller but it's got elements of character drama, romance, slice-of-life, sci-fi and even a bit of surrealism, so the show really has a bit of everything. It also has a really memorable final episode, despite the unresolved story.

The EotE movies are another story. I remember ex-ANN staffers Erin and Bamboo hated them while Carl and Carlo gave them fair reviews. There's plenty of harsh reviews on MAL as well. Personally, I thought they were good. The first movie, King of Eden, is decent. The major issue with the first movie is that its basically setup for the second movie, so by nature, every story element is basically a cliffhanger. There are some nice character moments between the two leads,otherwise, you're only watching the first movie to get to the second one.

I thought the second movie, Paradise Lost was pretty good and definitely better than King of Eden. The main complaints are that the ending is a cop-out and that nothing changes in the end. I'll agree the way that the "winner" gets decided is a bit of a cop out but what actually happens at the very end is not and the ending is more realistic than most people think. Well, is the movie ending good or not? If you watched the first season of Psycho Pass, did you like the ending?

I say that because there's a lot of similarities between the EotE movie ending and the ending of the first season of Psycho Pass. So if you were okay with the PP ending, then you'll probably be okay with EotE movie ending. Overall, the main difference between the EotE tv series and the movies are that the movies drop most of the characterization and the romance to focus solely on the social commentary and story, which understandably upset a lot of people.

Most people like the TV series at least, so if you're wary of all the bad things about the movie,s feel free to just watch the series and ignore the rest. Anyway, check out Eden of the East if you like shows with interesting story concept, quirky characters, and social commentary. On the other hand, if you can't stand plot holes, or you want complete story closure, stay away from this show.

Some quick impressions about the EotE premium edition:

The artbox looks really nice but the actual extras are pretty meh. You get 4 art cards, 3 stickers, a papercraft model for Angelika (the dog with wings), and a certificate of authenticity. The stickers are prettty cool and I really wish that Funimation had made them decals instead. I wanted to stick a Selecao decal next to my NERV decal. Anyway, the box set is a little pricey for $75+ since basically the artbox and the stickers are the only cool extras. I only have the TV series on dvd, so for me it was worth it to upgrade the entire series on blu ray since you're spending close to $70 anyway if you buy everything separately.
r3ronaldo
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Some quick impressions about the EotE premium edition:

The artbox looks really nice but the actual extras are pretty meh. You get 4 art cards, 3 stickers, a papercraft model for Angelika (the dog with wings), and a certificate of authenticity. The stickers are prettty cool and I really wish that Funimation had made them decals instead. I wanted to stick a Selecao decal next to my NERV decal. Anyway, the box set is a little pricey for $75+ since basically the artbox and the stickers are the only cool extras. I only have the TV series on dvd, so for me it was worth it to upgrade the entire series on blu ray since you're spending close to $70 anyway if you buy everything separately.

Hey thanks for the impression of the premium edition. I was looking into grabbing it, but wasn't really convinced by the extras. I already have all 3 on blu-ray, so I guess I will skip this one. As a side note, I would agree with your sum up of the series too.

Wow Your Lie in April is expensive. Dear Aniplex you are killing me!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I have Kingdom's first set, but haven't cracked it open yet. The funny thing is that Amazon has Luci Christian, Colleen Clinkenbeard and Mike McFarland credited, while the Encyclopedia only shows Hennie Britton as the recording engineer, which would point to a Canadian dub. I wonder if Amazon just assumed Funi=those actors/director or what. I'm sure people who've heard the dub would recognize Luci and Colleen though.

I'm just amazed that it even got released on disk, and totally flabbergasted that it got a dub at all on top of that. Pretty funny that the sub is the default when there's a dub though. Does anyone know of any other titles where that's the case?
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Gotta get Anthem of the Heart. Though, I do wonder if it will have a release beyond the import edition, as I was kind of waiting. But, may just have to get the SE in case there isn't.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:54 am Reply with quote
r3ronaldo wrote:
Hey thanks for the impression of the premium edition. I was looking into grabbing it, but wasn't really convinced by the extras. I already have all 3 on blu-ray, so I guess I will skip this one. As a side note, I would agree with your sum up of the series too.

Yeah, if you already own the blu-rays, you should save your money for something else. I never expected the show to get a special/collector's edition and while it's cool Funimation put one out, I wish the extras were better. If they had included an art book like what they did for Darker than Black, then I'd probably recommend it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I have Kingdom's first set, but haven't cracked it open yet. The funny thing is that Amazon has Luci Christian, Colleen Clinkenbeard and Mike McFarland credited, while the Encyclopedia only shows Hennie Britton as the recording engineer, which would point to a Canadian dub. I wonder if Amazon just assumed Funi=those actors/director or what. I'm sure people who've heard the dub would recognize Luci and Colleen though.

I would guess that you're right about the Amazon description being based on an assumption. I've seen it before in instances where they flesh out the product description, but don't necessarily have full details. As you said, people would be quick to notice if regulars were involved, plus Funimation would have done a cast announcement, or at least included the names in the credits if it was done in-house.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, James here. For those wondering about the quality of the dub, here's a funny story: Since it defaulted to Japanese subs, and for every other dvd release I've ever viewed that meant a lack of an English dub, I didn't actually realize there even WAS a dub until I was over halfway through the series. At which point I watched the first chunk of episodes again in English, realized the dub was pretty bad, and switched back to subs, checking back in occasionally to see if anything improved as the show went on (It didn't). I originally had a whole bit about that in my review, but when it came time to trim things down I ended up cutting it out, since it didn't strike me as something that would be a make or break for people on the fence about the show.

I should have made extra note of that, and I apologize. In the future I'll make sure to keep that stuff in, or at least add an addendum here for you all sooner.

As I mentioned above, the dub is bad in a generic, early 2000s sort of way, and I can't say it would alter anyone's feelings on the show one way or the other, unless they were only interested in watching dubbed material. If that's the case, it's even more of a Rental than it already is.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Kingdom becomes pretty good as soon as it's past the first major arc. Once it goes into the actual war it's great.
But it truly shines in the second season. It looks WAY better then the first season and campaign that takes the large part of it is absolutely amazing, mainly because of the enemy general, who kinda reminded me of Fate/Zero's Rider.

The first arc is definitely the weakest of the series, by far. I'm glad to hear the animation improves in season two! I'm eager to see if the show clicks with me more when the art isn't so distracting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1