• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Casts Eric Vale, Jole McDonald

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote
I really can't imagine this cast working very well. Dismuke, Clinkenbeard, and Tipton should be fine, and McDonald might work for Dilandau, but Glass, Strait, and Vale seem wrong for their roles. I guess I'll have to hear them in the show, but this isn't shaping up so well.

Folken's casting may be the deciding factor for me whether it's even worth checking out.

Quote:
One backer who donates US$5,000 will receive a tour of the Funimation office, a bag of Funimation merchandise, and a chance to do voice work that will appear in the new English dub. This reward has already been claimed.

I just have to laugh about somebody actually giving Funimation $5,000 to do something they could easily afford to do. $5,000? Gen Fukunaga should be their personal butler for a month.

For $5,000, I can fly to Japan and have Shoji Kawamori reenact the whole TV series for me, voices and all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I really can't imagine this cast working very well. Dismuke, Clinkenbeard, and Tipton should be fine, and McDonald might work for Dilandau, but Glass, Strait, and Vale seem wrong for their roles. I guess I'll have to hear them in the show, but this isn't shaping up so well.

Folken's casting may be the deciding factor for me whether it's even worth checking out.

Quote:
One backer who donates US$5,000 will receive a tour of the Funimation office, a bag of Funimation merchandise, and a chance to do voice work that will appear in the new English dub. This reward has already been claimed.

I just have to laugh about somebody actually giving Funimation $5,000 to do something they could easily afford to do. $5,000? Gen Fukunaga should be their personal butler for a month.

For $5,000, I can fly to Japan and have Shoji Kawamori reenact the whole TV series for me, voices and all.

Why are you so skeptical, Penguin? Funimation are better than Ocean, so it's got a higher chance of being better than Ocean's sub-par dub. It won't be as good as the Japanese version, but who does the Japanese version have?

Maaya Sakamoto
Tomokazu Seki
Ikue Ohtani
Jouji Nakata
Juurouta Kosugi
Kouji Tsujitani
Mayumi Iizuka
Minami Takayama
Shinichiro Miki
Yuri Amano

The dub has to compare with the Japanese version, not the crappy Ocean dub.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:22 am Reply with quote
Well I can't wait to own the collectors edition of Escaflowne with the directors cut and new English dub. Very Happy
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Joel McDonald wasn't exactly who I had in mind for Dilandau, but I liked what I did hear of him in other works, so who knows? Plus, at least now Dilandau won't sound like a chirpy 5th grader anymore! Very Happy
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Why are you so skeptical, Penguin? Funimation are better than Ocean, so it's got a higher chance of being better than Ocean's sub-par dub.

If it was the first time the show was getting dubbed, I'd say there would be no reason to be skeptical as well. HOWEVER, as it is not, I'd say there is definitely a lot of reasons to be skeptical. Of course, all IMO.

Funimation's redubs or recasts of shows in the past has led to very poor products, You've got the Shana dub who, outside of the new characters introduced in the Funi-only seasons who were decent, had a very different quality in the main cast. I actually ended jumping to the Japanese track because I like consistency and wasn't a big fan of the Funi dub.

Second one; The Fafner movie dub. Outside of Stephanie Sheh returning to retain Maya, everybody else was given soundalikes that really didn't showcase their own range. Of course, I don't think nobody really was bothered with this as Fafner was never really popular outside of Japan because most probably assumed assumed it was an Eva clone. Hell, it even happened on CR when Exodus was airing.

spoiler[I'd also mention Dragon Ball Z as a poor dub in comparision to the original Japanese and Ocean's brief dub but I'm not going to risk that one, mainly because its so ingrained in the USA's anime fandom. I just don't like Goku being Superman.]

Quote:

Funi, too, has its own library of really awful dubs too. They have a lot around the time of Escaflowne's original dub, some of which I'd argue are miles worse. Most Funi dubs play it a little too safe nowadays too, outside of the cases where you get really questionable things like Gamergate reference in the Prison School dub (something that wasn't present in the original script.)

Honestly, the only dub I'd say I've thoroughly loved out of Funi's recently releases was the Aquarion EVOL dub. I mean, making that show at least watchable was an achievement all on its own. They actually gave Amata a semblance of a personality outside of "Mikono-san!"
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:05 am Reply with quote
I've never had an issue with Ocean's dubbing, it was an earlier time and I can't look back at the 90's and point out a lot of anime that had stellar voice acting for English adaptions. Then again I was only 6 or 7 and didn't get watch anything in subbed.

As for DBZ the dubs up here in Canada were weird, funimation voice actors but I remember Oceans getting the credited. I'll have to double check my box-set's though make sure I'm not crazy.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Sorry, no, it does have to compare. Not even remotely close to everyone agrees that the first English dub was crappy, and there are a fair number of people who, like me, actually liked it. I've had those voices in my head for those characters for well over a decade now, so Funi's redub is going to have to be truly outstanding to overwrite them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatchforMoons7

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:54 am Reply with quote
Takayami Minami voiced Dilaudau in the original, thus the reason why he sounds "young" (and Mr. Francis voicing him pre-pub) But it didn't pull away the idea that he was a vicious jerk.

But I guess its fine if he sounds older. If you hear enough dubs and see boys being voiced with "older boy tone", like Edward Elric and Goku, other than girl voicing boy, it'll become familiar. Least that's how I feel. I can bear it.

Vale is Dryden...? Mad Now Dryden is going to probably sound like your typical senpai rival. 50% guess.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Just because the Ocean dub wasn't great, doesn't mean this one will be. It could be just as poor, or even poorer. Funimation is a much better dub studio overall than Ocean, but they've made their share of stinker dubs, and while most of those are in the past, the cast list here doesn't give me a lot of confidence. There are some anime titles that no matter how many times they dub them, they just can't get it right (Patlabor, Giant Robo, etc).

Look how long it took Funimation to dub Dragon Ball Z correctly (not until Kai), and that's their flagship property!

Escaflowne is important. It's an important title. I'm just a little concerned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
amagee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sorry, no, it does have to compare. Not even remotely close to everyone agrees that the first English dub was crappy, and there are a fair number of people who, like me, actually liked it. I've had those voices in my head for those characters for well over a decade now, so Funi's redub is going to have to be truly outstanding to overwrite them.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I'm actually pretty concerned because I think that with the better voice direction we seem to be getting over time in anime, I think the original dub would be seen as pretty stellar for voice choices. I loved Dilandau's original English voice and, though I like Jole McDonald where I've heard him, I'm worried about it losing the shrill, manic nature of the Andrew Francis version.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth, you really do lash out at English dubs a lot. It's easy to believe you just don't like them at all.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
penguintruth, you really do lash out at English dubs a lot. It's easy to believe you just don't like them at all.

Sigh.

Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Hellsing, Hellsing Ultimate, FLCL, Big O, Death Note, Black Lagoon, Baccano, Michiko and Hatchin, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Moribito, Spirited Away, Eden of the East, Metropolis, Excel Saga, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Darker than Black, Summer Wars, Casshern Sins, Samurai Champloo, Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, Gundam: 08th MS Team, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi, Ergo Proxy, Monster, Cromartie High School, Read or Die, Deadman Wonderland, Gundam Unicorn, Dragon Ball Z Kai, the new Sailor Moon dub, and MORE.

I like a lot of English dubs.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

So then why are you making such a big deal out of the new Funi dub for Escaflowne? Especially when there isn't even a sample of what it's going to sound like yet.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

So then why are you making such a big deal out of the new Funi dub for Escaflowne? Especially when there isn't even a sample of what it's going to sound like yet.

Based on my impressions of the talents of the cast and the dub director (also in the cast) and my expectations for a favorite anime.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Looks like FMA comparisons are going to be made yet again.

Vic Mignogna is playing Folken.

Yes, VIC MIGNOGNA. That's right; Vic and Aaron are playing brothers again. But this time, Vic plays a "villain", while Aaron plays the flawed good guy. I only hope Funimation can pull this off without making either character sound TOO recognizable to their FMA counterparts.

**Expecting people to prepare to hate on the Escaflowne Funimation dub no matter what**
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1