• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is There A Future For "Spinoff" Anime Conventions?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
xstylus wrote:
Not really, but even so, it wasn't going anywhere, and I think they realized that. It was competing against WonderCon and SakuraCon (as well as Anime Boston, distance notwithstanding).

Ah, all right then. In a way, Anime Conji was competing with San Diego Comic-Con too, though, based on my experiences, that competition is not so much for attendees as it is for vendors and exhibitors. If you were a video game company or a small publisher, and you have the resources to get a booth at San Diego Comic-Con, that'd logically be your first choice because you'd get the most eyeballs passing by. Everything else comes after that.

That's the way I see it, at least.

PMDR wrote:
All the back and forth about art auctions at anime cons got me to thinking: why DO anime cons even have these auctions? Is it merely because the big fan cons have had auctions for years, and if so, does that make it something anime cons should be copying?

I used to think about this a lot as a con admin; how many of the things we were doing were being done mainly because "every con HAS to have _____!" which could be a specific panel, events like dances, formal balls, art shows, art auctions, etc.

As an attendee, I always figured these cons have these events not because every other con has them, but because there will always be some attendees who come to these events expecting to see it and will raise a stink if it doesn't. I try not to be one of these attendees, but I must admit I was disappointed when I went to a con (not anime-related) expecting industry panels and not finding any on its schedule. (Well, the one in 2015 didn't. At this con's 2016 iteration, they DID get industry panels, as well as some local aspiring independent outfits making their first big announcements there.)

Cutiebunny wrote:
@ Leafy - What I'm saying is that, when a convention advertises that it is looking for sponsors, to perhaps not be so quick as to dismiss a private party that might want to provide funds to sponsor a specific type of guest. Instead of writing them off because they're not industry, why not respond and see where that partnership can go? While I think it's unrealistic for a convention to rely on well funded attendees to bring every guest, I think that offering the ability to fund perhaps a couple of guests is not unreasonable, especially in the case of a larger con.

Ah, I see what you mean then. You mean private, non-industry sponsors who will give some big amount of money provided the con will fulfill a specific request, right?

I DO know of some large cons (and I define large as in it receives 8,000 or more attendees) that get their funding primarily in that way. All of these cons I can think of are very specific on what they're doing, however, and the people who run them are well-connected enough in their cons' fields to meet those requests. That being said, for one of these cons, they relied upon one person who literally supplied them with one-third of their equipment year after year (and usually contributed whatever money it took to allow them to break even--no requests other than to use his equipment), and when he didn't show up in 2015 for an unexplained reason, everyone at that event felt it, even the corporate sponsors. The whole con was falling apart.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:49 am Reply with quote
Well, now I'm impressed! I was beginning to think that the extended Sevakis family and some ANN staff were the only ones here who are actually working in the industry. Glad VinceA and jvowles spoke up on this, I love to hear from people who actually know something...It seems Cutiebunny wants us to be impressed with how much $$ he and his pals spend, I wish I had such but I'm not. Forget Sketch Collectors, what about the Furry Community huh? When is AX and OV going to start sponsoring events for Bunny(Persons) and Cat(Persons)? They'd really grow then... Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
He isn't kidding on it being a hassle running cons: there were 480 cons globally last year and 339 scheduled this year. This info is from AnimeCons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3