• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim's Toonami to Run Hunter x Hunter TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
Awesome I wasn't expecting this but it's welcome none the less I can't wait for the English dub to premiere on Toonami. Very Happy
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Sweet! Now this show can really get popular (damn hiatus)!

Gotta feel a little sad though. This show is going to replace Parasyte, meaning that the Sentai Hour is officially discontinued.

EDIT: Apparently Parasyte will replace Kill la Kill as Toonami's unnecessary 3 AM re-run show.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
But seriously: does no one find it weird that this show gets on Toonami while Fairy Tail has yet to do so and probably never will?
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
So, will the children being murdered by the Ants be changed to pumpkins? Rolling Eyes

Toonami always airs its programs unedited ever since it came back to the USA in 2011. Hunter x Hunter won't be any different.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
Ok Toonami, you're now forgiven for Dimension W. Now all we need is Jojo, and everything will be perfect.

Anyone else think Killua's voice is way too high?
Gonstead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
GATSU wrote:
So, will the children being murdered by the Ants be changed to pumpkins? Rolling Eyes

Toonami always airs its programs unedited ever since it came back to the USA in 2011. Hunter x Hunter won't be any different.

Correction: 2012.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
2/3 of the block is now occupied by long runners that could potentially last for years. Unless one gets cancelled, this is a bad idea.

Then what the heck is a good idea to you?
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
But seriously: does no one find it weird that this show gets on Toonami while Fairy Tail has yet to do so and probably never will?

I would welcome FT on Toonami. Even though it's even more straight forward and cliched than shows like One Piece and Naruto combined. It's got one thing in spades over the others. Constant action.

Its funny though. Shows like FT and HxH should have been on the block already. HunterxHunter itself should have been acquired at least during 2014, not in the past few months.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:16 am Reply with quote
Here's another cool fact. For the other two anime based on Togashi's manga - YuYu Hakusho and HxH 1999 - it took nine years EACH for both of them to get licensed and dubbed. Here it "only" took four-and-a-half years. Not as much of an improvement as we would have wanted, but still - an improvement.

Hypeathon wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
2/3 of the block is now occupied by long runners that could potentially last for years. Unless one gets cancelled, this is a bad idea.

Then what the heck is a good idea to you?

Maybe a show that lasts only about 12 episodes? This is generally good since the limited viewing of those episodes will boost ratings, and plus that means more and more shows will get popularity on widely-viewed American television (Ex: Deadman Wonderland). It just didn't work for Dimension W.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Nekelen Tinsley wrote:
Blu-ray/DVD release dates is all i care about but im glad for those who will get to watch it.

Well there's some good news on that front, with Bang Zoom confirmed to be working on the dub, it means that Justin Sevakis will be doing the Blu-ray authoring so we should get the perfect video quality for those sets when they come out.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Because out of all the long-running show options, Fairy Tail is at the bottom of the barrel in terms of quality.
JoJo or Hunter x Hunter were the only good choices.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Anyone else thing that it is strange that Funimation never got ahold of this, they seem big on long running shows.
TheLineOfSight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I marathon'd all of this show on crunchyroll. The main character is pretty weak as a protagonist but all of his friends are pretty cool and the one re-occuring adversary is amazing. I didn't realize until after I finished the anime that the franchise is basically on indefinite hiatus because of the creator's dilly dallying so beware the showhole this anime will leave you in if that type of things gets you down. Basically the show ends at the beginning of a new arc that will probably never be continued/finished.
theNightster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:

I can see them at least giving One piece a break as out of the three long runners it has the lowest ratings (and has no end in sight)
Beatdigga wrote:
Forgetting that DBZ Kai ends in November and there are currently no plans to replace it with the Buu Saga dub.

what makes you say that? Dragon Ball Z has always been Funimation's cash cow if anything they could be planning the Buu saga as a dub premiere and lead into super (which I personally don't want because Super is not very good but still better then GT)
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Ok Toonami, you're now forgiven for Dimension W. Now all we need is Jojo, and everything will be perfect.

Anyone else think Killua's voice is way too high?
Vee's Killua voice sounds perfectly fine to me and yes I watched the series in Japanese. I'm not looking for a performance that attempts to mimic Mariya's voice. Neither actress actually sounds like a 12 year old boy. There is a world of difference between an actual 10 - 12 year old playing a character of the same age range and 20 - 30 year old woman as far as voice goes.

I don't buy either woman as a 12 year old boy for a second, but that's not a problem. Even if they did get a boy the character's age to play Killlua, his acting chops would likely not come close to that of these older more experienced actresses anyway. As far as her acting goes, I have no worries she'll give a strong performance with appropriate direction of course.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6