• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime from When Maids Ruled the Earth

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Love confessions:

No Chi-chan? (The Devil is a Part-Timer!)
Chi-chan's crush on Maou is like a less tragic version of Shirley and Lelouch.

So I voted for Shirley and Lelouch even though I don't know exactly which moment you're referring to (and even though I ship Lulu with Suzaku). (spoiler["Why did [your alter ego] kill my father?"] in episode 12? The part when she pulls his face (which is the most adorable thing ever) after the hat festival in R2 episode 12? Or spoiler[when she dies] in the next episode?)
Also if you've never seen Code Geass and you want to know what an assault on the emotions it can be... read that last spoiler.

Anyway. Chi-chan. Adorable. Should be on the poll.

The Princess Tutu one made me think that spoiler[the pas de deux between her and Fakir from near the end] should have been there... since they're the better couple and all. But that's not really a love confession... but since we're on the topic of half-examples, spoiler[Misaki going in to rescue Saruhiko] in K: Return of Kings...

Hello, it seems I like spoiler[ red hair/black hair] pairings that are almost but not quite official. At least Misaki doesn't spoiler[die or turn into a bird,] though...
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Covnam wrote:
For a more unusual maid show, I just remembered Kamen no Maid Guy and that I still need to watch it ^^;

I still need to finish it. Been so long I have forgotten it. Though it was pretty funny.

Yeah, I think that's my problem too. I just seem to forget about it and when I do remember it, there's something else I want to watch. I agree though, the bit I did see was amusing.
lys

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Y'all, I think you can submit your own favourite for the love-confession poll if it's not already listed (it'll be added to the poll choices when you do).

SoreMachi/And Yet the Town Moves' Hotori is the only maid I care for. (Well, and Emma. It's just hard to think of her in the same category as the rest... (ha, I actually thought of William and Emma for the poll, but didn't think of it in the context of this list until I read Blanchimont's post.)) (oh, and someone else did add them to the poll! ...after much deliberation I'm switching my vote to them rather than Zen-Shirayuki. But that one was beautiful too...)
Hidders

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
lys wrote:
Y'all, I think you can submit your own favourite for the love-confession poll if it's not already listed (it'll be added to the poll choices when you do).
There isn't a place to add your own option, which is why I mentioned my favorite here.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote

There is for me. Did you check when you were logged in?
Rensie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
He is my master was a gem. Too bad the manga still incomplete because the couple who created it split. >_>
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:43 am Reply with quote
Dang. Still upset that TokyoPop didn't finish the Steel Angel Kurumi manga when they were so close.

I voted for the free-fall confession between Dominic and Anemone in Eureka 7. One of my favorite moments from the show.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Heh, I didn't even need to scroll down to know which title would be first... Smile

It was probably only because slots were already taken, but Emma: A Victorian Romance would have added some much needed realism to the list. At least it's earned itself an honorable mention I should think...

i was wondering about that. how did that series didn't get in the list is beyond me. i would definitely have that series in the list instead of magikano. though there was no maid based series that would have removed hand maid may and mahoromatic from the top two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Obviously Goku would win with every new movie he gets stronger so much so that I don't think that it's ever going to stop. Rolling Eyes
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
While it's not a maiden-centered show, the "Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu" series has a lot of maids.

Reasons you don't want to exactly mess with Hazuki Sakurazaka (Nogizaka family's top maid) and Nanami Nanashiro (3rd top maid): The former out comes out of nowhere with a chainsaw and the latter does the same with a big hammer.

Ah, an anime that I wish someone would license for disc release. Along with REC.

And I'm happy to see Maid-Sama on this list. I've not seen any of the other shows, and some of them I've never heard of, but Maid-Sama is a favourite of mine. I own Sentai's release.

As for the poll, I went with Chihiro and Keima. I feel that I was getting so invested in what was happening with Ayumi, that I felt a bit blind sided. But, I like what I saw...and then the result saddened me. Wish that TWGOK would get another season, as I just want to see the end of the series animated! But, the chances of that happening are about the same as the manga being licensed...
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
I don't know if I was sleeping this whole time but I don't remember any love confession between Inoue Orihime to Kurosaki Ichigo from Bleach. Was there any love confession from these anime in the first place?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:07 pm Reply with quote
A list of anime love confessions popped up in my head when I read the poll, very few of which are actually on the poll, thought there's a large number of "pairings" listed.

For example: FMA Brotherhood never had a love confession; Ed kind of skipped that part and went straight to marriage. Angel Beats' two offerings had more to do with supposition than anything to do in this life, more "Hey, maybe I'll love you tomorrow" or "we could have had yesterday, if we were alive at the same time." than anything sensible. Toradora had more of an intervention because Taiga realized she loved Ryuji long before she admitted it to her friends. Good drama, not good romance. The Christmas bear scene was golden, and the closest that Ryuji admitted how he felt about Taiga so there's no much help there either. But it was never about him, was it? Kyon and Haruhi... no.

The closest on the poll to a love confession in my mind was, sadly, the major and war from Hellsing Abridged. Hellsing Ultimate? What's that?

I loved the love confession scene from A Lull in the Sea. We spend the entire series from Hikari's POV so we think that Tsumugu was in love with Manaka but he was in love with Chisato the entire time, even when he had the greatest "meet cute" in anime. But no, he had to take the hard way out and tell Chisato his pure and understated feelings. Her reaction? She jumped into the sea, a classic bad relationship ending for most works of fiction but here, it's a lot more positive because Tsumugu jumps in after her. Again, not as bad as it sounds...

Then there's Kimikiss Pure Rouge which had a multistage love confession spanning several episodes between Kazuki and Eriko. He confessed his love, she brushed him off. He restated his case, she tried to pawn him off to Asuka because she thought she didn't love him as much. He'd chase, she'd run and he's ok with that and ultimately, she's ok with him being ok with that, fuzzy feelings all around. But the classic part, what stands out in my mind, is how giddy she was just before his first confession, when she saw him walking up to her front door, that was adorable.

Shuffle! Asa to Ren. The cool big sis finally broke down and told the guy she was always messing with why she was always messing with him. But what sells it is how Ren confessed to Asa in the series ending: spoiler[He slit his wrists]. Again, out of context, it sounds terrible but in that moment, his actions said all that needed to be said between the two of them. Also, people don't talk about Shuffle! enough these days.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Yep, I remember all of these series. Watched the majority of them. I watched both Hanaukyo Maid Team, the OVA and La Verite, Mahoromatic, and a little of Hand Maid May (oh those booty shots, coming through your window). But I've never seen Steel Angel Kurumi when it was the product of the day during that time. Because that show was running right around the same time as Hanaukyo Maid Team. Which is kind of interesting.

I did like both Hanaukyo shows, but the OVAs were the first I'd seen and have never been released here. But La Verite was by Geneon at the time. Now there's a small package that needs a new DVD release. Both Team and La Verite and any specials that came after.

As for the other's, I've heard of them but never watched them. I can't think of any maid shows other than what's here. So far what has been listed going back to Kurumi and Mai Team as well as Mahoromatic were at the pinnacle of maid-servant shows of that time.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:54 am Reply with quote
I went with Zen to Shirayuki for the heart-pounding love confession because I found it to be one of the most romantic and beautifully done that I have seen.

Close runners up were:
Kaito to Ichika in Waiting in the Summer
Taiga to Ryuuji in Toradora
Mari to Akko in Girl Friends

Both of those lost because the real heart-pounding moments came later in the story, not at the actual confession. In Toradora, the "first kiss" scene ("again!") is the real heart-pounder. Similarly. the scene when the two girls finally overcome their misunderstandings and Akko gets across to Mari that she truly does feel the same way for her is where the heart-pounding occurs.

Kaito's confession to Ichika is such a close second... Maybe I should have done a write in... Sad spoiler[The "first" (or fourth) kiss there is only second to Toradora in my opinion and it does occur right after the confession. Then the fifth... Very Happy ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2