• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kill Me Baby/Sweet Blue Flowers Voice Actress Ai Takabe's Drug Charges Dropped

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:10 am Reply with quote
Charges maybe were dropped, but her career is dead now anyway.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:11 am Reply with quote
I guess you can say she... Cool

blew them off.

Wink

I'll be leaving now.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:17 am Reply with quote
The charges shoulld've never been. But the police doesn't write the law, so... I guess this was their display of minimum decency.

Let's ignore the tasteless humor.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:36 am Reply with quote
Hang on, aren't they basically saying that because the public (& her employers) judged her guilty, they aren't going to press charges & find out if she actually was? I don't know if this is the case in Japan, but in the UK the police would probably face a damages claim from her as a result of how this seems to have been handled.
livinew

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:25 am Reply with quote
Did she even have much of a career in the first place? Her only notable VA role was on KMB and that show isn't even that popular.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Hang on, aren't they basically saying that because the public (& her employers) judged her guilty, they aren't going to press charges & find out if she actually was? I don't know if this is the case in Japan, but in the UK the police would probably face a damages claim from her as a result of how this seems to have been handled.

It is not unusual in Japan for prosecutors to drop charges or petition for a lower sentence if not doing so would be more harmful than the lesser punishment to the rehabilitation of the person charged. Rehabilitation rather than punishment ranking high in Japan.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness the charges were reneged. Smile Unfortunately, the damage has been done already...
valoon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Good thing! Now let's hope they change the laws altogether on the conference on 20th april
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
It always amazes me how projects are been taken of the streaming services if a VA is charged of something. It's beyond stupid. I'm against the use of coke but still getting fired over that without a second chance is beyond stupid. We all make mistakes but just because she is a public figure who is an "idol" she and everything she is in needs to be taken down. It's beyond me...
Nice Tea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
It always amazes me how projects are been taken of the streaming services if a VA is charged of something. It's beyond stupid. I'm against the use of coke but still getting fired over that without a second chance is beyond stupid. We all make mistakes but just because she is a public figure who is an "idol" she and everything she is in needs to be taken down. It's beyond me...

Japan is known for having ZERO tolerance against drug offenders, whether they are public figures or not makes no difference, even foreigners gets no mercy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Charges maybe were dropped, but her career is dead now anyway.

I believe that is what they meant by "societal sanctions." Basically, the prosecution decided that losing her job and having a stigma follow her was enough punishment.

Compared to here in the US, this is quite lenient since your job status is considered irrelevant to the actual outcome of a criminal case. If you keep your job, great, if not, too bad.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
"We have heard of [Takabe's] arrest. Whatever the reason, we have cancelled our contract [with her]."

..."whatever the reason"? Guilty until proven innocent, much?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
It is pretty cut and dry. They found drugs.

In the United States you are innocent until proven guilty, but does that really matter much if the police have you on video shooting someone in the head.

In the Voice Actress's case they found drugs and she tested positive for drug use. That really is all her agency needed. Even if a lawyer got the charges thrown out, it doesn't change the fact she had drugs in her possession, and she tested positive for using them.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the day of the arrest, Japanese streaming services such as Amazon and Bandai Channel had removed Kill Me Baby and other anime in which Takabe voiced roles.

Being an American company, I'm surprised Amazon actually cared enough to join in on the the punishment. Justin Bieber could get caught with heroin and they aren't gonna stop making money selling his CDs. Maybe they did it just to make the Japan branch fit in with how Japan goes crazy over drug possession.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:58 am Reply with quote
I don't care if you are celebrity or not, if you do crime like this, you should get at least something like some jail time, a heavy fine, or a lot of community service. When you do a crime and get caught, I think you should have the justice hammer slammed on you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2