• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter's English Dub Previewed in Adult Swim's Toonami Ad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am sure the dub will be solid. My only question is if Toonami is prepared to run this series for 3 years. What happens if the ratings start tanking?

According to the Toonami blog post I read about it, the deal with Viz has the option to cancel if the ratings are too low. Toonami seems to be fully aware that taking on another long-running series potentially has the negative consequences of the audience growing bored with a lineup that would have little room for change. The impression I got is that they are willing to take that chance for the sake of not having to look for more shows to fill out the lineup when the shorter ones end.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
So are they not planning on releasing the Hunter Hunter DVDs until the show has been on Toonami for a long time?
I want them now. Sad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
For the record, both of the Hunter X Hunter anime are straight adaptations. The first one has bits of filler here and there, and both of them simply end at whatever the most recent completed arc was at the time. The tone between them is different though, due to having different creative teams. The first anime has a darker, more serious feel to it, whereas this one is happier and more colorful.

angelmcazares wrote:
I am sure the dub will be solid. My only question is if Toonami is prepared to run this series for 3 years. What happens if the ratings start tanking?

Toonami very rarely ever cuts a series short. It may be kicked to a worse timeslot if it doesn't do well in the rankings, but even complete bombs like Cyborg 009 aired to its end.

What I wonder is how aware they are of the series's tendency towards the disturbing, both visually and mentally. It's going to change a lot after the first arc, which is where every clip in this commercial is from. (That being said, they spoiled that spoiler[Tonpa turns against our main characters].) I know Jason DeMarco said in an interview that he is NOT up to date with One Piece, for instance, knowing only up until about 25 to 30 episodes in advance.
0stiniatioze

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:49 pm Reply with quote
So um, is it pronounced Hunter Hunter, or Hunter ex Hunter? Because I have always done the latter
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
^ I've always pronounced it "Hunter Ex Hunter", but apparently it's pronounced "Hunter Hunter" Confused
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:53 pm Reply with quote
^ Yeah it's Hunter Hunter not Hunter x Hunter, but don't worry I thought the same thing till I found awhile back Smile

Also, in the promo when they said "applicants" I thought they said "Africans" Laughing
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:11 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Toonami very rarely ever cuts a series short. It may be kicked to a worse timeslot if it doesn't do well in the rankings, but even complete bombs like Cyborg 009 aired to its end.

Well, really a lot of anime Toonami aired between 2005-2008 got cut short (the only ones I recall them actually completing on the block were Dragon Ball GT and Bobobo), and Cyborg 009 ended up finishing in a Friday night death slot off Toonami along with Yu Yu Hakusho, IGPX, and Gundam Seed.

But the more important thing is that they haven't cut any series short since returning in 2012. There's been a few close calls (Tenchi Muyo GXP and Hellsing Ultimate), but they've managed to stick with everything through to the end. Even went out of their way to air an all night marathon of the final unaired episodes of Beware the Batman when they found out they were losing the rights the next day.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Sounded good Ms.Vee aside. Hyped to hear Mendez do Gon's meltdown when we get there.

I already voiced my concerns about the show being on the block. I see people saying that the Toonami team is confident airing HxH but what would really show confidence is getting some time slots back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Review of the dub actors:

GON: Erica Mendez is a real rising star, and with Magi and Kill la Kill we know that she's going to be great. I have no complaints.

LEORIO: You gotta love Levi. I think Matthew Mercer does good comedy roles, so this should be good.

KURAPIKA: I only remember Erika Harlacher from Aldnoah.Zero. Sounds very womanly, but I guess I'll get used to it.

KILLUA: Cristina Vee is an amazing voice actress - even when she played Louise. It sounds a bit high-pitched, but I can tell already she will pull off the darker elements.

HISOKA: I was going to laugh if Steven Blum played him because of Orochimaru - aka an even bigger pervert. But we instead get Keith Silverstein, and thanks to Johan Liebert... I'm officially scared.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
So do you guys think they will dub the openings of Hunter x Hunter? i hope they do
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Killua's voice is certainly different from what I would have expected, but it's difficult to appraise it based only on an, "alright, let's do this!"

Oddly enough, there were people who thought Killua's new Japanese voice actor was too high-pitched back in 2011. Hopefully Vee will grows into the role too!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:18 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
So do you guys think they will dub the openings of Hunter x Hunter? i hope they do

You mean "opening"? Well, Departure is a good opening, and if it doesn't get dubbed, at least we have a dub from an official voice actress (Morgan Berry, aka The Unknown Songbird). That being said, there haven't been any dubs for openings in, like, forever. I'm more hoping they use the official English translation for the first ending, sung by the original Japanese band.
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:34 pm Reply with quote
I'll never judge the dub based off a quick trailer so I look forward to watching the show on Toonami.

ParkerALx wrote:
Killua's voice is certainly different from what I would have expected, but it's difficult to appraise it based only on an, "alright, let's do this!"

Oddly enough, there were people who thought Killua's new Japanese voice actor was too high-pitched back in 2011. Hopefully Vee will grows into the role too!

She has done many low tone voices so I expect that is what we'll get more of and that high pitch line will not be the norm, especially for the more dark & serious lines.

I wasn't a fan of the Japanese cast at first either, but they grew on me and now I really like them.
Ahmazein

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
What...What did they do to Killua....
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ahmazein wrote:
What...What did they do to Killua....

Nothing, expect provide an English voice. You can always go back and rewatch the Japanese version to your own comfort if you feel like it. That's an option, just like how watching the dub on Toonami is also an option.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4