• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Voltron Dub.DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:12 am Reply with quote
Wow, harsh review!

I remember watching this series on Saturday morning as a kid. As an adult, I know I would see it in a different light, but I didn't think it would be that bad.

I thought about buying the DVDs just for nostalgia value, but my wallet wouldn't allow it. Maybe I'll skip it all together now and wait for the uncut, un-Americanized version.

-Murph
LordOfPie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
See, all those things the reviewer says make the show a completely unwatchable mess are exactly WHY I enjoy the show. It's absolutely, inexcusably terrible, yes. It is also an absolute riot. You just need to approach it with the same mindset you'd go into any ancient dub of an ancient kids' TV series made to sell toys to children. The Japanese version is no classic of the genre, either; let's all just marvel at how bad a production can be and enjoy ourselves!
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
Better or worse than the Korean "fake anime" dollar store anime? Very Happy

Wow. What an entertaining review. I was laughing out loud, especially at the +/- tags at the bottom.

I'm sure some Voltron fanboys will cry bloody murder at this review. (I'm not one of them, as I was a Transformers faithful as a young lad.) But dammit, it's soooo worth it!

I really want to see it now. Thank God for Netflix, so I won't have to burn it afterwards. Very Happy
Mech

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:17 am Reply with quote
Thank you! Finally, someone writes down the same reasons why I love and hate this show and keep coming back for more.

BTW, isn't Voltron's counterpart, Golion, basically a pileup of super robot cliches which might explain the cheese factor of the show?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:52 am Reply with quote
Everything Voltron did, Voltes V did 10,000 times better. And from there, Daimos went and improved the formula further.

So the review is harsh but spot on.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:58 am Reply with quote
While I enjoy the show for the cheese factor, I am very glad to see a review that isn't blinded by nostalgia, but evaluates the show without bias.

So I personally disagree with the result, but I fully agree with the review.

Does that make sense?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:06 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the review. I was always wondering about this title because I hear about it on anime boards and wanted to see a review without the hype.
icepick314

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:27 am Reply with quote
it can't be THAT bad...can it?

i LIKE Voltron BECAUSE of all the bad qualities....

this show with dubbing has one of THE worst acting on animation and yet it's still fun to watch...

it's one of those shows that you can get bunch of guys, get lot of beer, and keep heckling at all the bad plots and you can't help but smile and laugh...

for that i would have given this show a must buy....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Fullerific

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:18 am Reply with quote
The only thing i disagree with slightly is the music. I love the horn theme. But then again I've never watched 5 episodes back to back and heard it over and over.
Saphiro01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:43 am Reply with quote
That person obviously is not a fan of the show and that won't effect how I love this show and have been waiting 15+ Years for a DVD release.

That reviewer can suck Go Lions balls.
onetimepost

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quote
The review right on everything but it left out how short the series would become if the characters took advantage of all the opportunities to kill Zarkon, Lotor, Hagar in every episode.

I admit that it makes a good drinking game every time evil and robot is spoken.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:16 pm Reply with quote
i tried to watch it on Adult Swim the other day, and i couldn't bear it. this is one those shows where you get older and then realize just how bad it actually is.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
While I enjoy the show for the cheese factor, I am very glad to see a review that isn't blinded by nostalgia, but evaluates the show without bias.

So I personally disagree with the result, but I fully agree with the review.

Does that make sense?

I think with a show like this, it's kind of disingenuous to even try to evaluate the show without taking the nostalgia factor into account. Honestly, this show will ONLY appeal to people who watched it when it first aired, and those people (myself included) will love it in spite of how "terrible" it is. I won't lie, I watched Voltron reruns not 2-3 years ago, and I *literally* got goosebumps during the transformation sequence. I felt 8 years old all over again. So who cares if the plots are counterintuitive and the animation sucks? Us children of the 80s will still love every second of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

I think with a show like this, it's kind of disingenuous to even try to evaluate the show without taking the nostalgia factor into account. Honestly, this show will ONLY appeal to people who watched it when it first aired, and those people (myself included) will love it in spite of how "terrible" it is.

I sort of disagree with this. The Nostalgia factor is something you take into account when decided how much weight to give a review. It shouldn't be in the review itself. A review should review the show. If it will only appeal to people who watched it when it first aired then it's probably not a good show and that should be reflected in the review. Personnally I LOVED Voltron as a kid. Which is why I have no intention of ruining that love by watching the show through my adult eyes. I made that mistake with Jem (Last year I rewatched it and learned it's incomprehensible rubbish but when I was a kid I wanted to BE Jem I loved it so much.) SO I think a review that is not clouded by nostalga is helpful. Now I know that to keep that pleasant nostalgic feeling I need to never again watch the show.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:38 pm Reply with quote
LOL, ANN best review ever! I've never heard an ANN executive bash a show this much. I remeber a CG version of this show from around 1998 which appeared on UPN during sunday afternoons that just plained sucked. This is probably the worst anime you can ever see.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4