• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Voltron Dub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:37 am Reply with quote
Before I state any opinions, I should explain my biases. I saw Voltron as a child, and my opinion about it was the same as all of the other cartoons (it would be a number of years before I learned that the proper term is anime) that I had seen: That is to say, I thought it was O.K. Then I saw Robotech, and I immediately judged all plot lines and character development by that yard stick (something I still do to this very day). I mention this so that people will understand my perspective.

I completely agree with the review. Furthermore, I found it to be quite amusing (My opinion is that if you are going to type with razor blades, then you damned well had better be entertaining while doing so. I quite agree with an earlier poster who found the "+"/"-" remarks at the very end to be hilarious.). Now, I will agree that there are some shows whose plot line/character development should not be measured against Robotech's, but I think that the review does a fair enough job of pointing out that the only adults who will be interested in this series will be those who just loved it as a child.

In conclusion, I find that the review is not only eminently justifiable, but quite hilarious to boot.
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:06 am Reply with quote
Strephon wrote:
Since the review doesn't address the perspective of those readers, then who is it for? People who weren't going to buy it anyway?

I've read plenty of ANN's reviews, thank you. I've just never read one like this here before.
As I've already said, ANN is not a Voltron site. It is an anime site targeted at anime fans in general. As such, the reviews should be written not to target the diehard Voltron fans who would've bought this DVD anyway, but to general anime fans who have never seen the show before and are wondering if it's something worth investing in. Once again, if the Voltron fans already know they're going to buy this DVD anyway as the majority of them are, then what is the point in writing from their mindset? And if you've never read an ANN review like this one before, I suggest you read this: http://animenewsnetwork.com/review/ufo-ultramaiden-valkyrie/dvd-1 In fact, about the only anime titles I normally see getting negative reviews of at ANN are those shows that are nothing but pointless fanservice dribble which is essentially what Voltron is: it's fanservice. It's a different kind of fanservice then the stereotypical definition we associate it with, but it's still "giving the fans what they want", in this case pointless mecha action. Unfortunately, that's Voltron's problem. That's all it has going for it and it lacks much of anything else to make it more appealing to outsiders of the Voltron fanbase who're going to buy this DVD whether the review praises it or not.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:09 am Reply with quote
OK, I like Go Lion well enough. And I am no fan of the hacked-and-dubbed "Voltron". I really dislike it. However, these "grades" are way too harsh and do seem to suggest some sort of grudge or bias:
"Overall (dub) : F, Story : F, Animation : F, Art : D-, Music : F"
Those kind of grades are appropriate for those Korean animation DVDs that you find in $1 bins... is Voltron really _that_ bad? I really doubt it. That's what I found questionable.
animepuppy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:36 pm Reply with quote
you know whenever i see voltron i always think of the power rangers
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4