• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GitS: Arise - the new movie, is this just a recap?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teletha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:55 am Reply with quote
Hello,
i have watched all the arise episode 1-4 and the 2 last episodes of architecture (since some1 said that all other up to the 2 last was just recap) and i newly saw that the new movie was out but i skimmed through it a bit and on all the scenes i skipped to I've noticed that i already had watched them =/

Can some1 tell me if there is any new stuff there that isn't in the ep 1-4 and the 2 last architecture episodes? i need to clarify this Smile
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
It's a new story, driven by the murder of the Japanese Prime Minister - that isn't a big spoiler as it happens near the beginning. In the process it wraps up the mystery of the Fire Starter virus and who is behind it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teletha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
It's a new story, driven by the murder of the Japanese Prime Minister - that isn't a big spoiler as it happens near the beginning. In the process it wraps up the mystery of the Fire Starter virus and who is behind it.

but why is it so much recap in it?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Because they want to be able to sell it to people who have not seen Arise or the TV series.
Teletha

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Because they want to be able to sell it to people who have not seen Arise or the TV series.

that's just lazy feels like they put in pre done material as much as possible to do as least work as possible while still selling it for a full movie i mean it's pretty lame for us who watch all and then have to go through a lot of re-cap to just get those scene u haven't seen before.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Welcome to the world of anime where brief recaps at the beginning of every episode, entire recap episodes in a 13 episode series and theatrical movies that are nothing but a recompilation of a TV series are not uncommon. Reused footage even in the absence of recaps is not unheard of.

In this case, it was two full years between the first OVA and the movie. In addition, it was done in three different formats (OVA, TV series, movie). Everyone who saw the movie was not going to have seen all of the preceding episodes or may not have completely remembered them. A recap is not unjustified.
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
A bit of a tech and culture difference, maybe; in Japan streaming isn't at the level it is at in the Americas. There, I think it was on late-night TV and regular people didn't see it, so they put a version in theaters to catch those folks. Here, where most saw it streamed or outright bought it, it feels like recycling to wring out some extra money. Releasing all versions here might be required as part of the licensing contract as well, even if it doesn't seem to make much economic sense. We may never know enough 'inside baseball' stuff to know.
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Teletha wrote:
Hello,
i have watched all the arise episode 1-4 and the 2 last episodes of architecture (since some1 said that all other up to the 2 last was just recap) and i newly saw that the new movie was out but i skimmed through it a bit and on all the scenes i skipped to I've noticed that i already had watched them =/

Can some1 tell me if there is any new stuff there that isn't in the ep 1-4 and the 2 last architecture episodes? i need to clarify this Smile

I saw it in the theater and it's a New Storyline, that's takes place after Arise
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
@Teletha, are you sure what you saw was from the new movie? I saw this movie in theaters last November and it is not a recap movie. Obviously, there are scenes reminiscent from Arise/Alternative Architecture and recurring characters, otherwise it's an all new storyline.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Same here. I don't recall any recap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:07 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:
@Teletha, are you sure what you saw was from the new movie? I saw this movie in theaters last November and it is not a recap movie. Obviously, there are scenes reminiscent from Arise/Alternative Architecture and recurring characters, otherwise it's an all new storyline.

Yes, it's all new, and I can't wait to get it in,
it should be shipping anytime now from Rightstuf, since both items in the order
are now in stock GITS: Arise Moive and Maken-Ki! Season 2

Very Happy

PS
Does anyone know what's going on with Animenation ?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
BWBODDY wrote:[quote]Does anyone know what's going on with Animenation ?/quote]

They closed their online retail operation a while back. If you search on their name you can probably find the news article here on ANN. Their web page/blog is still up though. Also it is possible they are the ones behind One Peace books.
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
BWBODDY wrote:
Does anyone know what's going on with Animenation ?

Alan45 wrote:
They closed their online retail operation a while back. If you search on their name you can probably find the news article here on ANN. Their web page/blog is still up though. Also it is possible they are the ones behind One Peace books.

I Know about that, and what you see now when you type in their name isn't what you would
of gotten before April 1st.
( I was hoping for someone that really knew what's up with thier Forum )

Just to update you Alan, there is a Forum at Animenation.com they may of ended the Retail years ago but Animenation.com the Forum was still up and running.
That's where Rightstuf told us to go when they shut down the Animetoday Forum

But 3 days ago on April 1st ( when I noticed it, and thought it was an April Fools joke )
what you see there now was there instead of the Forum, and I wasn't aware of any mention that it was shutting down ( for good or just temporary )

I was hoping one of the Animenation Forum Regulars may be on here as well
and know something I didn't know.
It's a great Forum and so easy to navigate on .

But thanks for the reply anyway Alan Smile

I was hoping that I'd get a reply from Doc Watson I saw he has a profile here
( he's a Mod on the Animenation Forum )
But so far he's not replied to my PM

But back on Topic, GITS: Arise Movie is great and dovetails right into the end of the Arise Ova's
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
^
Doc Watson hasn't been active for a while on these forums.
BWBODDY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
^
Doc Watson hasn't been active for a while on these forums.

Thanks, I found his listed email, I'll try that Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2