• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime do you want to see redubbed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
EricDent wrote:
Emma A Victorian Romance: A show set completely in England, and yet everybody speaks Japanese (yes I know they dubbed it in Asia).

Admittedly, I have a small but very morbid desire to see how well this could be executed.

If I ever win the lottery I am going to commission a dub of this with British actors.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The stakes would be high. Too many scripting mishaps could amount to an emulation of the Manga UK Urusei Yatsura dub, minus, of course, the cavalier cursing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Captain X

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Just a reminder: no one-liners or listing, which for purposes of this thread means "just saying a title or two with no explanation of why they should be redubbed."

Rolling Eyes Okay, I guess I can take an extra half a minute to write a slightly longer blurb than I wrote before.

While most of the examples listed in this thread tend to be older anime, I'd actually put up Girls und Panzer for a re-dub. I don't know where the failure was when it came to the series, but the end result was that the characters all sounded like bored valley girls. Except Monica Rial, who seems to sound like she's having fun with almost anything, and seems to be the only person in the production of the English dub who seems to get the spirit of the show, perhaps in spite of the director (who looks to be a complete noob).

Older anime tends to have worse dubs simply because not many studios had much in terms of experience with them, and it seems that for a while there, the school of thought was that dubs scripts had to be an exact translation while also attempting to match lip flaps to varying degrees of success, which tended to result in stilted, unnatural delivery. Not always, but often. Some might argue that this helps to actually add to the charm of older anime, though this could be nostalgia talking. The upshot of this little blurb is that it's actually kind of hard to pick from the many, many titles that could use a redub, in part because it could be argued that something might be lost in the process. So I'll basically put forward a series that I'm currently working my way through - Patlabor: The TV Series. Most of it isn't actually that bad for when it was made, but the voice actress that played Noa Izumi really stands out in how horrible her delivery is for pretty much every sound that comes out of her mouth. She honestly sounds like a little kid playing at the role.

Higurashi seems like it might be a good candidate, albeit as long as both the first two seasons that make up the main story get a dub, it's just that this is another case of not knowing if it's really worth it, because I just have mixed feelings about the series in general. And apologies, but I just don't feel like covering the same ground twice, so if anyone wants to know what my feelings on the series are, you can check them out in my review thread.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
This kind of reminds me. If you guys could pick VAs for a potential redub for these shows, what acting pool would you use and who would you cast as the lead roles? I'm mostly curious about Higurashi. What would an ideal Higurashi dub sound like?
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
This kind of reminds me. If you guys could pick VAs for a potential redub for these shows, what acting pool would you use and who would you cast as the lead roles? I'm mostly curious about Higurashi. What would an ideal Higurashi dub sound like?

I mentioned the Devilman OVAs at the beginning, so my pick to play the two leads would be Crispin Freeman(Akira Fudo) and Johnny Yong Bosch(Ryo Asuka). Tbh, Greg Ayres could do normal Akira, while Freeman could do Devilman(and maybe Possessed!Akira). Considering he voiced Alucard, a vampire, it'd make sense.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:22 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
If I ever win the lottery I am going to commission a dub of this with British actors.

Does it matter the dialect of English they're speaking? Any English dialect is more rational than them speaking Japanese.

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
It's not necessarily the dialogue, but the accents. Hearing characters in Victorian England speaking with an American accent would be almost as bad to me as them speaking Japanese. Most American attempts at British accents are cringeworthy at best, facepalm worthy at worst, especially in anime. For a particularly egregious example, I refer you to the recent episode of "Castle" in which the show attempted to have a Geordie character. As a native of where this character was allegedly from, I can assure you that is single handedly the worst attempt at a Geordie accent I have ever heard in my life.
tofukitty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I though the Utena dub got better as it went along especially Anthy and Utena, but I'd love to see a redub it always makes me sad that you can only watch the dub on Hulu. Nanami's voice gets on my nerves....

I know this isn't a "redub" per say but I'd love to see the rest of Kodocha! I thought that dub was great but I remember the disks being a little expensive for their time. Damn it I just want to see the rest!
Someone mentioned Tokyo Mew Mew and the other 4 kids stuff like Shaman King I'd just like to see the Japanese version at least....
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
I highly doubt it will ever happen due to a lack of popularity, but an uncut, full redub of the original Saint Seiya (or Knights of the Zodiac). Also Cardcaptor Sakura maybe
Observe

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
Season 3, maybe 4(memory foggy) of Ranma 1/2 when they changed a few voice actors including Ranma, after that it was just intolerable to watch since I was so used to it. They need to redub the seasons after 3 with the original cast. I know it sounds crazy lol, but that was one Anime I did watch in Dub instead of Subs.

Off topic but I thought Baccano had some of the best dubbing
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Not all of Central Park Media's dubs are bad IMO. Aside from SLAYERS, LODOSS WAR OVA was done fine (the TV CHRONICLES Dub was flawed and inconsistent), THE WORLD OF NAURE, NOW AND THEN HERE AND THERE, ANIMATION RUNNER KUROMI, and NIGHT ON THE GALACTIC RAILROAD are all solid to great dubs. Not everything by CPM was perfect (GERZEY'S WING was a misfire, as was RG VEDA, MD GEIST, and SHADOWSTAR NARUTARU), but when they nailed it, they nailed it great.

If any title deserves redubbing I would go with WINDARIA. That movie suffered from being cut down and rewritten. DEMON CITY SHINJUKU and ROUJIN Z are both laughable travesties that deserve better dubs. But yes CREST OF THE STARS and FANTASTIC CHILDREN could stand to receive better dubs.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
The first Ghost in the Shell movie. It vexes me to this day that they never got the SAC cast to redub it.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
RedSwirl wrote:
The first Ghost in the Shell movie. It vexes me to this day that they never got the SAC cast to redub it.

Why? I didn't notice anything wrong with it when I watch it not too long ago...
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
RedSwirl wrote:

Why? I didn't notice anything wrong with it when I watch it not too long ago...
A consistency thing, I guess. Though since the movie came first, one could make the argument that they should've dubbed SAC with the same cast as the movie Evil or Very Mad

Similarly, one "not a bad dub, but could've been more consistent" case in my mind is This Ugly yet Beautiful World -- while ADV did okay with it, it would've been cool to get a Bang Zoom dub for it to preserve the Mahoromatic casting connections from the Japanese version. (For those unfamiliar with the shows, everyone except the main male lead of This Ugly Yet Beautiful World's Japanese version was played by a VA who played a similar character in Mahoromatic.) But it's understandable that ADV wouldn't want to incur additional expenses to preserve that continuity.
dyuer15ut0

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
The one I can think of off the top of my head is the old Beyblade series. To me, that dub was a severe case of underacting; the actors sound like they're reading their lines. The only above average performances that dub had (IMO) were David Reale as Kai, Daniel DeSanto as Rei (yes, I prefer using Japanese names in this case; "Ray" is not bad, but "Rei" makes more sense since he's of Chinese origin), and possibly Mary Long as Daichi. The Japanese voices, compared to the dub, are a breath of fresh air.

Plus, all the excessive talking in the dub kills the mood of scenes and battles more often than not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4