• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Skip Beat's English Dub Kickstarter Campaign Casts Vic Mignogna as Yukihito Yashiro

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
Kruszer: If it helps, Creamy Mami had even more nail-biting moments on Anime Sols. Just rally your 'troops' and get this sucker funded, if that's really what you wanna see happen.

TheMorry: My point is don't get your hopes up. Make this happen first. Then you can take on something bigger, like maybe that Blu-Ray goal.

azhanei: It's luckier than it could be, but it's still not there yet. Gotta keep pushing. Remember that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
If Skip beats kickstarters finishes well, I hope Pied Pieper can get something like Tokyo Mew Mew from TV Tokyo.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:55 am Reply with quote
#855473 wrote:
If Skip beats kickstarters finishes well, I hope Pied Pieper can get something like Tokyo Mew Mew from TV Tokyo.
Rather see her picking up Hyouka to be honest.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:57 am Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
I still remember Vic's disgusting behavior at SakuraCon the last time he was there. Pulled my pledge because of it.
Care to elaborate before you insult someones character? Otherwise its total nonsense. There are so many youtube videos of Vic Mignogna being ridiculously nice to people. Its quite hard to believe otherwise especially when you don't bother to explain anything.

Vic has a very hard backlash to him, because his baptist faith is very important to him and as a result he is openly against gay marriage and refuses to sign slash yaoi items of characters he voice acts.

Vic is a really nice person actually, and I think people really should consider being able to disagree and actually have a rational discussion about issues without resorting to mean spirited ness

In any case I am fully committed to seeing this project be successful and make at the very least it's first funding goal, so even if people start dropping out like crazy It just means I need to spend more.
TheMorry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
I still remember Vic's disgusting behavior at SakuraCon the last time he was there. Pulled my pledge because of it.
Care to elaborate before you insult someones character? Otherwise its total nonsense. There are so many youtube videos of Vic Mignogna being ridiculously nice to people. Its quite hard to believe otherwise especially when you don't bother to explain anything.

Vic has a very hard backlash to him, because his baptist faith is very important to him and as a result he is openly against gay marriage and refuses to sign slash yaoi items of characters he voice acts.

Vic is a really nice person actually, and I think people really should consider being able to disagree and actually have a rational discussion about issues without resorting to mean spirited ness

In any case I am fully committed to seeing this project be successful and make at the very least it's first funding goal, so even if people start dropping out like crazy It just means I need to spend more.
Totally agree with you on this. People who hate him just for saying what he thinks or believes in is just rubbish. And redrawing your plegde because of Vic is in the dub now is just beyond ridiculous and childish lol. I mean, you werent a real fan of the anime then to begin with Razz. Vic is no doubt one hell of an amazing VA, FMA anyone?
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:35 am Reply with quote
I strongly disagree with Vic's opinion on homosexuality. In fact, as a former Haredi Jew, I PERSONALLY know what it's like to feel hate. I know what it's like to be part of a population where 70% do not accept who you are.

Having said that, it's not up for us to decide whether or not he accept homosexuality. It's a flaw, but it doesn't make him a "bad person" or a "bigot", inherently. By that stance, all UK Muslims are bigots because they all oppose homosexuality. 100% of them.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:55 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:

I actually watched a con video of him where he says he's never said a homophobic thing in his life, so I don't know what his actual values are.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:38 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Wow. Makes you wonder how he ever gets along with J. Michael Tatum (who is gay). I personally know people on both sides of the spectrum, and I have good relations with those people. They don't do anything wrong because of their identity, and as a Catholic, I accept them wholeheartedly and support gay rights.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I really want to donate but unfortunately paypal is not an option and I don't have a credit card Sad I'm hoping for the best for this campaign!

They might open something that accepts PayPal after the initial goal is met. I'll ask about that when it gets closer to the goal. I know AnimEigo does a PayPal thing after they get to initial goal.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
[quote="Gemnist"]
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Wow. Makes you wonder how he ever gets along with J. Michael Tatum (who is gay)..

Actually from what I've seen, he and Tatum get along just fine. Vic has openly stated he doesn't hate homosexuals, so a lot of these nasty rumors of him are completely untrue.

A lot of people aren't clear on what the definition of a "homophobe" is. Outright hating gay people just because they're gay makes you a homophobe. Disagreeing with their lifestyle, but still treating them with kindness and respect, does not.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:34 pm Reply with quote
This really needs a big kickstarter budget because there are too many side characters in this anime, and 98% are female casts in those following 24 episodes... So they will need 30 or more voice actresses thats a bulk of VAs for a budget of only 150K.

And what, Vic? Err his voice doesnt suit the manager's voice that much...(but I think his voice is perfect for that blonde director in the ff last episodes of the "Moon arc" )

But then again I wouldve prepared if they dub those mainstream long shoujo animes like Yumeiro Patisserie or Shugo Chara

Last edited by iamtooawesome on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
This really needs a big kickstarter budget because there are too many side characters in this anime, and 98% are female casts in those following 24 episodes... So they will need 30 or more voice actresses thats a bulk of VAs for a budget of only 150K.

And what, Vic? Err his voice doesnt suit the manager's voice that much...

But then again I wouldve prepare if they dub those mainstream long shoujo animes like Yumeiro Patisserie or Shugo Chara
I'm sure they have a budget for paying the cast but not enough for the whole project. And then royalties come into play when the DVD releases and gets picked up by companies like Netflix or Hulu.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:37 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:

And what, Vic? Err his voice doesnt suit the manager's voice that much...

But then again I wouldve prepare if they dub those mainstream long shoujo animes like Yumeiro Patisserie or Shugo Chara
I'm sure they have a budget for paying the cast but not enough for the whole project. And then royalties come into play when the DVD releases and gets picked up by companies like Netflix or Hulu.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Wow. Makes you wonder how he ever gets along with J. Michael Tatum (who is gay)..

Actually from what I've seen, he and Tatum get along just fine. Vic has openly stated he doesn't hate homosexuals, so a lot of these nasty rumors of him are completely untrue.

A lot of people aren't clear on what the definition of a "homophobe" is. Outright hating gay people just because they're gay makes you a homophobe. Disagreeing with their lifestyle, but still treating them with kindness and respect, does not.

I never said he disliked Tatum (even though he does in FMA because he murdered Brina Palencia and Caitlin Glass' parents), in fact quite the opposite. Funimation's actors are a very tight community; I doubt they hold many grudges against each other, even Scott Freeman. It's just that refusing to sign autographs just because they feature Ed making out with Tamaki is a homophobic move, even if Vic isn't homophobic himself. Personally, if I was going to sign such an autograph, I would chuckle silently (knowing how fans conceive the darnedest things) and sign it anyway.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'm not talking about Vic's view on yaoi or his Christian values. I'm talking about his very public outburst at Cheesecake Factory, which is right across the street from SakuraCon, where he, on his cellphone, went on an ugly, and very loud tirade for a solid ten minutes. Phrases that I overheard included some swear words, and threatening whomever was on the other line. This, you know, happening during the lunch crowd on Easter Weekend with many youngsters present.

I support projects of people who, in the past, can behave in public and treat others as they wish to be treated. That's why I'm supporting Izumi Matsumoto's Kimagure Orange Road project. He's a great guy that I've met several times now. But someone who has a very public outburst at a busy restaurant in front of young children? Nope. If you're going to go on a tirade on your cellphone, do it outside.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3