• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's only so much utility you can get out of bursts of super-strength, and managing nearly 100 episodes with it is pretty remarkable, but giving Deku more to do than just punch, kick, and air-punch could make for some exciting and thrilling fights down the line.

MHA has dozens of characters to showcase. Midoriya is the main protagonist, but he does not need to be the focus of every conflict. I preferred it when Midoriya was limited in abilities because this gives writers a reason to make Midoriya more clever and more of a reason to allow other characters to shine.

I concern that Midoriya having more abilities in the future will make it less likely that other characters will receive focus. Why should they if Midoriya will have enough power to handle things on his own?
Calsolum

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
So yeah, the anime's finally reached that point.

Deku's basically a fusion of Recca from (Flame of Recca) and the avatar state(avatar). He's got the knowledge/council of his predecessors(when he learns to control it properly) and then all their unique abilities as their successor like Recca(while also being powerless himself).
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:22 pm Reply with quote
This was such a great reveal when I read it and looked great here (though I'm not 100% on how blackwhip is depicted here, I think the blue outline is a bit too strong, though I understand the need for it compared to the manga).

When I first read the description of One for All, I always thought this is what it would mean when it was described to stock pile power, so it was nice to finally see it.

As for the Sasuke comparison, spoiler[I wouldn't say it's of the same kind of level. His powers are more utility than of a comparable level to the OP base super strength. To not get too spoilery, Nana's quirk was Float for instance. Definitely useful, but not something that is OP. Though having said that, we still have one left to reveal in the manga and we don't know the full scope of the 2nd to last one that was just revealed.]
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
The recent episode review makes absolutely no sense. Monoma being the traitor? How could he have notified the League during the USJ arc? Only the teachers or class 1-A could have known who was present inside the USJ, as they even knew All Might wasn't there.

According to a LOT of Japan netizens from what I have seen on 2chan, they are set on either Invisible Girl or Tail Guy being the traitors. We never saw Invisible Girl's true face yet, but we know her alleged quirk is invisibility. That means she is always using her quirk 24/7, and Aizawa should then be able to erase her quirk to reveal her true appearance. OR she is isn't even using a quirk but rather some sort of equipment to make herself invisible. She is also the only person who had no alibi during the USJ arc. She claims to be with Todoroki but he had no idea, so she may have been bluffing.

The Tail Guy theory is how he was the only person who was sent alone by Kurogiri to the fire zone (probably to communicate with the Villains), while everyone else was sent with 1-2 other people. He was also the only student from 1-A who was not drawn or animated in the lunchroom during the Training Camp (even Invisible Girl was drawn/animated), he was one of the first characters ever designed by Horikoshi (even before Bakugo), and he is a relatively minor character compared to everyone else in class 1-A. His quirk could also be faked (as his tail could just be a quirk-related mutation like with Tokoyami having a bird head and Manga's head being a manga page), and he is the only minor character to have two separate covers drawn for him by Horikoshi for the Japanese manga releases.

Monoma being the traitor is an extreme stretch of the imagination.

Last edited by D00dleB0Y on Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:16 am; edited 7 times in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:06 am Reply with quote
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
Those tendrils that nearly wrecked Deku were in fact Mr. Mad Max's “Blackwhip” and, if my math is right, there are another five powers lying in wait, discounting the otherwise quirkless 1st user and All Might.

actually since there were 8 users of one for all and deku is the 9th, he is supposed to get 7 powers if your not counting all might & the 1st! not 5 powers in wait!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:46 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Nicholas Dupree wrote:
Those tendrils that nearly wrecked Deku were in fact Mr. Mad Max's “Blackwhip” and, if my math is right, there are another five powers lying in wait, discounting the otherwise quirkless 1st user and All Might.

actually since there were 8 users of one for all and deku is the 9th, he is supposed to get 7 powers if your not counting all might & the 1st! not 5 powers in wait!

You forgot to discount Izuku as he was quirkless as well
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:34 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
The recent episode review makes absolutely no sense. Monoma being the traitor? How could he have notified the League during the USJ arc? Only the teachers or class 1-A could have known who was present inside the USJ, as they even knew All Might wasn't there.

I think you're a little confused here. That's not the USJ arc I was referencing - the way the villains learned about that was established when they broke into UA and caused a stir with the press breaching school grounds. I was talking about the summer training camp with the Wild Wild Pussycats in season 3, where Present Mic theorizes somebody had to have leaked their location to the LoV since it was being kept confidential.
Ensaru64

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:27 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:

Judging from Horikoshi's own surprise at any mention of a traitor in the midst (in an interview, he exclaimed that he forgot about that plotline), I believe this plot thread was something he deemed not important enough to follow through with.

Quote:
We never saw Invisible Girl's true face yet, but we know her alleged quirk is invisibility. That means she is always using her quirk 24/7, and Aizawa should then be able to erase her quirk to reveal her true appearance. OR she is isn't even using a quirk but rather some sort of equipment to make herself invisible. She is also the only person who had no alibi during the USJ arc. She claims to be with Todoroki but he had no idea, so she may have been bluffing.

Aizawa revealed in chapter 135 (Season 4 in MHA) that he's unable to disable transformative quirks. Invisible Girl's quirk cannot be disabled by Eraserhead. There's a tidbit that Invisible girl is the only 1-A student whose quirk was never formally announced. Think of that as you will.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:46 am Reply with quote
bur her quirk is supossed to be light bending or something, so we kind of have conflicting information,.on whether aizawa should or not be able to disable her quirk, 8t seems to be something like tokoyami, quirk plus mutation, so everything makes sense. and considering she is always naked i can see aizawa not even trying. 0rettu fun joke when she says she looks like yang gui fei.

regarding dekus quirk, this is not bleach or end naruto where the powers are just added for the sake of being added, but rather the theme is that we don't know exactly how are those quirks supossed to work so their real workings get exposed to surprise us, like ofa accumulates both strength and quirks which was theorized since the first chapter of the manga got released.
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:51 am Reply with quote
The revelation that One for all has more quirks is counterproductive for the series and Deku, it is to give more powers gifted to someone who was supposed to achieve their goals with effort and determination, it is as if Luffy's power up consisted in that he should eat more fruits or in Naruto spoiler[that literally the final battle was to give him powers to protagonists because he did not know how they could defeat the enemy]. Now what is the difference between an isekai protagonist like Ains with his skills and hidden gimmicks and Deku with his hidden quirks? the worst will be those moments in the plot where the villain seems to be about to win, but you know that Deku can unlock another power and defeat it instead of using the wits or the effort of his training.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
MHA has dozens of characters to showcase. Midoriya is the main protagonist, but he does not need to be the focus of every conflict. I preferred it when Midoriya was limited in abilities because this gives writers a reason to make Midoriya more clever and more of a reason to allow other characters to shine.

Agree entirely with this. Not fond of Midoriya collecting a bunch of other new powers unrelated to his core power; it feels like the kind of lazy, overdone shounen power up trope that plagues so many of these series, and which I felt like MHA had not completely but significantly avoided so far.

Ah well. Hopefully the new abilities are executed well, at least, and other characters somehow manage to stay relevant.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:00 am Reply with quote
Ohm_0_ wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Nicholas Dupree wrote:

You forgot to discount Izuku as he was quirkless as well

didn't forget. just stating that unless there were other holders that were quirkless too, he should be getting 7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:17 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

didn't forget. just stating that unless there were other holders that were quirkless too, he should be getting 7

No, he should have 7 quirks by the end of it. There is a difference.

I think a lot of people who dislike this development fundamentally misunderstand something about this story. This isn't a tale about a boy who get stronger though determination and hard work but a story about leacy and learning. It is about taking what the previous generations have given you and dealing with it, for better or worse.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:57 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure he should end up with 6.

9 users - (1st + All Might + Deku) = 6.
6 - Black Whip = 5 more Quirks yet to acquire.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Pretty sure he should end up with 6.

9 users - (1st + All Might + Deku) = 6.
6 - Black Whip = 5 more Quirks yet to acquire.

The first user had the transfer/stockpile quirk that makes up the base of OfA. The super-strength aspect is part of that quirk. Deku and All-Might were are the only users who were quirkless. Therefore the final number of quirks is going to be 7.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 81