• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:08 am Reply with quote
Johan Eriksson 9003 wrote:
The first user had the transfer/stockpile quirk that makes up the base of OfA. The super-strength aspect is part of that quirk. Deku and All-Might were are the only users who were quirkless. Therefore the final number of quirks is going to be 7.

Fair enough. I was just going by more than one person saying the 1st didn't have a quirk to pass on, since I figured they knew more about that than I do. Smile I guess the key word would be "new"? He will have 7 total, but only 6 new ones, and only 5 yet to be acquired?
dharlow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Lighten the hell up. Rolling Eyes It was a good episode, and the puny purple pervert's actions weren't atrocious. Razz
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Mineta is an annoying pervert who we're supposed to believe means well, but it's really no different than Bakugō, who remains a hot-headed jerk and outright mean and dismissive towards people he thinks of as inferiors even as he's gotten slightly better, Monoma, or any of the other parade of highly flawed kids. Bakugō is arguably worse since people seemed to love him even as a jerk, while the show does nothing to portray Mineta's actions as any better than Monoma. (Separate from issues like Endeavor.)

Some of the kids are jerks.
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Damn. The reviewer really has a hate-boner for Monoma.
Vent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
And so ends an arc about a bunch of characters who are almost definitely never going to be relevant again, a thing a series that already has a problem managing its massive cast really didn't need.

That said, we're on to bigger and better things soon.
Ohm_0_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Vent wrote:
And so ends an arc about a bunch of characters who are almost definitely never going to be relevant again, a thing a series that already has a problem managing its massive cast really didn't need.

That said, we're on to bigger and better things soon.

That is quite the assumption considering the manga hasn't ended yet.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:28 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Mineta is an annoying pervert who we're supposed to believe means well, but it's really no different than Bakugō, who remains a hot-headed jerk and outright mean and dismissive towards people he thinks of as inferiors even as he's gotten slightly better, Monoma, or any of the other parade of highly flawed kids. Bakugō is arguably worse since people seemed to love him even as a jerk, while the show does nothing to portray Mineta's actions as any better than Monoma. (Separate from issues like Endeavor.)

Some of the kids are jerks.

Mineta is a walking slapstick joke, we are meant to love to hate him so we laugh when Zero tangles him with his tape or Jiro stabs his eye.

The show is quite transparent with this, that's also why when it was revealed he is top 10 on grades Kaminari told him "Characters like you are only likeable when they are fools"
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I just wish he were, on some level, funny. Superficial slapstick perversion somehow doesn't feel like much of a gag.

Not much else to say about the latest episode, really. Still think Deku becoming multi-power-man is an uninteresting direction for the story, and, separately, that this arc was bottled, unnecessary ennui. Hopin' the next arc's got more main-plot energy; has been a while since I've been genuinely excited about MHA. I think I actually have been looking forward mot to DragonQuest: Adventure of Dai this season than MHA, which I never expected.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I just wish he were, on some level, funny. Superficial slapstick perversion somehow doesn't feel like much of a gag.

Personally, I find him funny but obviously, not everyone finds that kind of humor enjoyable. I just love the absurd amount of effort he must have put in to not only get himself into a position that he could block the shot but also have himself get pushed back into Mina.

NeverConvex wrote:

Not much else to say about the latest episode, really. Still think Deku becoming multi-power-man is an uninteresting direction for the story

Trust me everyone felt this way when it happened in the manga but thankfully they do a good job making it work moving forward.

NeverConvex wrote:
separately, that this arc was bottled, unnecessary ennui. Hopin' the next arc's got more main-plot energy; has been a while since I've been genuinely excited about MHA. I think I actually have been looking forward mot to DragonQuest: Adventure of Dai this season than MHA, which I never expected.

Yeah, this arc is definitely a low point for the series but thankfully it does pick up after this.

Honestly, I wish they could have just rushed through this arc but there are only like 2 or 3 more completed arcs before they catch up the manga so I get why they stretched this arc out to fill the entire cour.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed this arc a lot, these types of competitions are engaging than the big fights against the League of Evil. Uraraka was the best in this match than I've seen her in the entire show up until now. I like how determined and single mined she was, as so far they've never really done much with her to this degree.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This arc took a bunch of superpowered teenagers and smacked them into each other and was thus Good, Actually. Too many flashbacks, but that's just the Hero Academia anime for you.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
Pinky giving Mineta the Ludovico aversion therapy (Clockwork Orange) was funny. But...what was she showing him? Shocked
ETX

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Studio BONES rearranged scenes around in this episode.

Nothing that's too concerning mind you, although with where this season ends off it makes sense. Especially with the 3rd movie taking place during the events of the end of the season.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I suppose they moved this mini arc since the next movie takes place during this time frame and would be confusing for anime-onlys.

Not a huge deal but, as the reviewer says, kinda out of place, specially since this is the spoiler[final "Happy" episode so now we will have more dark stuff pilled together without a break]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:22 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
...Hopin' the next arc's got more main-plot energy; has been a while since I've been genuinely excited about MHA. I think I actually have been looking forward mot to DragonQuest: Adventure of Dai this season than MHA, which I never expected.
Ditto for me. I just reached the realization that after years of loving MHA, I really don't give a dam* anymore because of this season. I think Horokoshi or Bones has diluted the cast and story too much and while I know from some fans that MVA or WHA may be coming and will supposedly be great, it'll take a prolonged line of new/novel storytelling to get me back. Not that that is a loss at all, but there are too many good shows each season that are fresh and interesting than to keep invested in the old, wandering, thinned-out, plodding story that MHA has become (maybe they are aiming to surpass One-Piece?)...

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 77 of 81