• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:
you get this type in any city big enough to accommodate extroverted weirdos, and considering how dangerous a world with actual superpowers can be, I'd expect to have one of these bozos on every corner.

While I'd expect that in the US, is that true in Japan? I have no idea, but from what I've gathered from anime (and a few news clips), which is probably not representative of the reality, such "extroverted weirdos" tend to get a van with a speaker on the roof and drive around neighborhoods spreading their cause. If there's any truth in that trope, then I guess I'd expect to see traffic jams of competing conspiracy theorists.... Wink
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:11 pm Reply with quote
im kinda surprised that the reviewer didn't go into detail about ep100! specifically the conversation between eraser and present mic on who shinzo reminded them of and the reason why eraser trained him.

then again, considering that its major spoilers for future eps and for one of MHA's Vigilantes spinoff manga series, i can also understand the reason why.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
Eh; I just realized that changing the arcs order like this transforms everything that's going on on the Liberation Army as a mystery to unfold.

Well played.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
My interest in Endeavor as a character has gotten sincerely deep. We all kinda understand that his "sins" are unforgiveable, but the circumstances surrounding his #1 Hero status make it hard to justify pushing him off that cliff in the name of justice. His sincerity in growing and atoning is also compelling, as it challenges [some of] us as an audience to weigh our thoughts on whether a man like this deserves full punishment for his crimes we know he can't atone for, or if his sincerity and relative success in acting on that sincerity are enough. Kinda like real-life questions of retributive justive vs rehabilitative justice, and redemption in general. Emotionally, I still hate the man, but a part of me is starting to appreciate him, too.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
My interest in Endeavor as a character has gotten sincerely deep. We all kinda understand that his "sins" are unforgiveable, but the circumstances surrounding his #1 Hero status make it hard to justify pushing him off that cliff in the name of justice. His sincerity in growing and atoning is also compelling, as it challenges [some of] us as an audience to weigh our thoughts on whether a man like this deserves full punishment for his crimes we know he can't atone for, or if his sincerity and relative success in acting on that sincerity are enough. Kinda like real-life questions of retributive justive vs rehabilitative justice, and redemption in general. Emotionally, I still hate the man, but a part of me is starting to appreciate him, too.

If there's one thing I kind of hope MHA can continue to do around Endeavor in this specific instance, it's keeping the shades of grey around how the kids feel about it. While I fully expect Shoto to eveeeeeentually come around, I would really like to see his older brother acknowledge the good Endeavor does with his hero work while still wanting to basically never see his father again. I think that's a totally valid perspective for at least one of the kids to walk away with, just like I think it's also totally expected (if not also kind of tragic in my eyes) for at least one of the kids to crave the normalcy of a happy family life so desperately that they seem willing to forgive and forget without much issue in the sister's case. I don't know if Shonen Jump's editorial will allow that kind of nuance, given that historically, manga tend to push harmonious wa above all else, but I can hope.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Eh; I just realized that changing the arcs order like this transforms everything that's going on on the Liberation Army as a mystery to unfold.

Well played.

yeah, this approach completely ruined the " is hawks an actual traitor mistery", but that was a super weak plot point so nothing of value was lost. i am just sad that we will get another froppy filler, because i want mva to start already and these episodes have been cruelly teasing it.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Trigger is a drug from the Vigilantes Spin Off, it boost your quirk but an overdose leads to temporal madness and permanent physical mutation.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:15 am Reply with quote
After seeing so many CG cars just thrown into scenes, I was pleasantly surprised this episode that they didn't do the same with the boat and the plane.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:48 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

If there's one thing I kind of hope MHA can continue to do around Endeavor in this specific instance, it's keeping the shades of grey around how the kids feel about it. While I fully expect Shoto to eveeeeeentually come around, I would really like to see his older brother acknowledge the good Endeavor does with his hero work while still wanting to basically never see his father again. I think that's a totally valid perspective for at least one of the kids to walk away with, just like I think it's also totally expected (if not also kind of tragic in my eyes) for at least one of the kids to crave the normalcy of a happy family life so desperately that they seem willing to forgive and forget without much issue in the sister's case. I don't know if Shonen Jump's editorial will allow that kind of nuance, given that historically, manga tend to push harmonious wa above all else, but I can hope.

if you thought endeavor trying to redeem himself now is a challenge for him, just wait next season spoiler[ when he finds out that toya was dabi all along ]

the emotion there will be WAY more brutal than eraser having a kakashi moment spoiler[ after finding out that his best friend that supposed to have died in MHA Vigilantes was kurogiri all this time ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
without vigilantes the eraser moment will not work. it would be cool if they give us a few vigilantes episodes as a filler instead of the typical froppie.
thedarkemissary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Toya is dead

Did Nick not pick up that Toya is Dabi? Wasn't that revealed a several of episodes ago at the end of Endeavor's fight with the advanced Nomu? Or did I read that scene between Hawks, Endeavor and Dabi wrong? I mean, there was clearly some kind of familial tension between the two. He even called Endeavor by his full name. Now we find out Endeavor has a "dead" son. It wasn't strictly stated, but it's kinda obvious right? Or am I completely wrong? I mean, huge blue fire powers... hates Endeavor personally... it's all right there.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:00 am Reply with quote
thedarkemissary wrote:
Quote:
Toya is dead

Did Nick not pick up that Toya is Dabi? Wasn't that revealed a several of episodes ago at the end of Endeavor's fight with the advanced Nomu? Or did I read that scene between Hawks, Endeavor and Dabi wrong? I mean, there was clearly some kind of familial tension between the two. He even called Endeavor by his full name. Now we find out Endeavor has a "dead" son. It wasn't strictly stated, but it's kinda obvious right? Or am I completely wrong? I mean, huge blue fire powers... hates Endeavor personally... it's all right there.

That scene never said that Dabi was Toya.

spoiler[Dabi is Toya, but that isn't revealed until a story arc the anime hasn't covered yet. That scene with Dabi, Endeavor, and Hawks was foreshadowing.]
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah -- I don't think there's been any explicit confirmation that Dabi is Toya is Dabi. But, I doubt there's much of the fandom not at least loudly thinking that right now (well, unless it's not true, in which case maybe the manga readers are loudly thinking the opposite, and smirking at us in the anime-only crowd Razz). Maybe Nick just wanted to respect the remaining ambiguity, with his phrasing.

I share Nick's (and a few other folks in this thread) enthusiasm for MHA actually having a pretty complex take on Endeavor's 'redemption', or if anything like that is even possible. Anime, especially shounen, has not got a great track record of handling sensitive emotional / familial topics, to say the least, so it's nice to see MHA moving with care, here.

I was a little shocked Deku felt he could say what he did to Shoto. I guess maybe it could just kind of pop out like that in the middle of all the awkward family tension, but, personally, I'd probably have kept my mouth shut until later, and tried to express that in a moment with fewer people around, where hopefully an actual conversation could take place. (Particularly his sister and father.)
Jefcat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:00 am Reply with quote
Nice write up of this latest episode. The Todoroki Family’s story is a compelling one and they’re not cheapening it with a quick-and-easy resolution. And throwing Deku in the middle of it with his care and compassion was bound to shake things up. Deku has always had a pretty clear reading of Shoto’s behavior and this episode is another example of that. Shoto’s response was priceless, realizing that Deku know his mind before he himself does.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I was absolutely over the moon when Natsuo actually said "why should *I* have to be the one to actively change". Like, yes, THANK YOU, MHA, for coming out and putting the blame for this all where it actually belongs. Yes, Endeavor is a nuanced person looking to make amends, but booooooy howdy, it sure seemed like MHA was really willing to give Endeavor a pass there for a hot minute, and I was immensely pleased to see that MHA held its ground and actually took the emotional resolution for this arc seriously. Also, good on Endeavor for wanting to atone rather than ask forgiveness, and for being mature enough to remove himself from the equation! I wasn't sure if the show had deliberately dropped that anvil-sized hint about how Rei was looking forward to trying to make a home with her children again--and just her children--to make a point, but I'm honestly impressed that MHA was allowed to wrap up a plot like this in the way that it did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 78 of 81