• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wait, I wonder if Stain's character is really that aware. Okay, so Stain's character looks a lot like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I had been thinking that it was purely something funny, or ripping on the design. But now that we have heard what Stain's motives are, it actually could be really relevant if the author kind of know their obscure her pop culture. Regardless of how the TMNT are kind of seen as a sort of standard super hero team, if somewhat bizarre in the scheme of things, that is not how they actually started off. The TMNT were actually originally made as a sort of satire, they were meant to kind of highlight how over the top bizarre the super hero genre had become, and how the genre had lost its way, and were purposely made excessively violent.

At least this is from what I am aware of, I might be wrong.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I feel Mr Leach because for the last couple of months, my CR premium "exclusive stream" has been horrifically start and stop (the stream advances ~45sec then stops for ~90 sec) while Funi's streaming has been almost continuous. This has caused me to watch MHA and other shows exclusively on Funi rather than CR when I can, so this morning I had to take one hour and a half to watch the 24min show. If it wasn't for some good shows exclusive to CR, I'd be dropping the subscription...
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Shigaraki's motives aren't really meant to be clear. He's just an angry guy who wants to wreak havoc on the world for the sake of wreaking havoc. Kinda like the Joker.

spoiler[Speaking of Shigaraki, I still can't wait to see his "It's all because of All Might" face. My anticipation is 1 part eagerness, 2 parts anxiety.]
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Shigaraki's motives aren't really meant to be clear. He's just an angry guy who wants to wreak havoc on the world for the sake of wreaking havoc. Kinda like the Joker.

spoiler[Speaking of Shigaraki, I still can't wait to see his "It's all because of All Might" face. My anticipation is 1 part eagerness, 2 parts anxiety.]

hardly. he's nutty like a fruitcake for sure, but he's definitely not bat crap insane as the joker. come back when he actually does something extremely dark that the joker would give applause too.

for right now he's not his own man. its like all might said. he's basically an over the top man-child spoiler[ that is more or less obeying and carrying on the will of his master aka all might's nemesis "All for One" like a dog on a leash] while the joker is his own man and does whatever the hell he wants, whenever the hell he wants , doesnt take crap from anyone let alone take orders from anybody & let the normal thing that people want like happiness and order be damned . that is the difference between toumra and the joker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The coincidence button is getting pressed a little hard here for my liking, since the kids aren't currently in school and yet their hero internships all happen to bring them into the same conflict

Really, I think Deku's involvement is the only coincidental part since his train just happened to be there when the Nomus started attacking. Iida deliberately chose Hosu City to find Stain and eventually finds him, and Todoroki is there because Endeavor is also tracking down Stain and Deku sent out his location to anyone who could provide assistance.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I also noticed the drop in quality in the second half but I thought maybe I was being to conscious of it cause it wasn't by much, apparently not.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Reading episode 29's review you seem to have some weird interpretation of a bunch of stuff and are way to quick to jump on weird conclusion. Like this.
Quote:
One of the more difficult things to understand right now is why somebody might choose to be a villain in this world at all, at least for the main villains we've met so far. Stain especially raises this question, since his motivations appear to be entirely philosophical.

How can you say that at this point? Aren't jumping the gun? Reading most of your reviews, you seem quite easily upset when information isn't instantly given too you and jump way too fast on nothing. Selling Stain short like that...I mean wow? There's a reason why people on the internet found this to be one of the strongest episodes so far. Both Stain's charisma and the clashing of his ideals with the students made for a super strong episode.

Also coincidence? Not really that far-fetched. Deku knows Iida had his brother sent to the hospital by the Hero killer in Hosu city, so putting what info he has together. 1+1. Made sense. Also no, while yes the art was maybe weaker at spot, nothing was correction worthy.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Reading episode 29's review you seem to have some weird interpretation of a bunch of stuff and are way to quick to jump on weird conclusion. Like this.
Quote:
One of the more difficult things to understand right now is why somebody might choose to be a villain in this world at all, at least for the main villains we've met so far. Stain especially raises this question, since his motivations appear to be entirely philosophical.

How can you say that at this point? Aren't jumping the gun? Reading most of your reviews, you seem quite easily upset when information isn't instantly given too you and jump way too fast on nothing. Selling Stain short like that...I mean wow? There's a reason why people on the internet found this to be one of the strongest episodes so far. Both Stain's charisma and the clashing of his ideals with the students made for a super strong episode.

Also coincidence? Not really that far-fetched. Deku knows Iida had his brother sent to the hospital by the Hero killer in Hosu city, so putting what info he has together. 1+1. Made sense. Also no, while yes the art was maybe weaker at spot, nothing was correction worthy.

It's worth noting that my comments in the review are more of a response to the ambiguity than a criticism of it. I genuinely don't know what Stain's about yet! I'm asking questions I figured the show wants me asking.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:

It's worth noting that my comments in the review are more of a response to the ambiguity than a criticism of it. I genuinely don't know what Stain's about yet! I'm asking questions I figured the show wants me asking.

Those questions are fair to ask, but your whole criticism for this episode is basically downplaying this amazing episode for things it will surely address in the future. I mean really you finish with this.
Quote:
I'm still interested in how much the show wants to explore Stain as a character, but the moment we have to throw him into the path of our leads, it's hard to imagine a world where his goals really offer any pathos. This episode submits a few interesting comparison of ideals, but right now I'm worried that the reality might be a little more shallow than I expected. I'm sure people are going to find Iida's struggle and Todoroki's development relatable, but so far this arc isn't saying anything all that surprising, which is kinda of what I'm looking for at the moment. It's hard to judge on just this episode alone, though, as the Stain fight looks to be continuing a few episodes more.

Your like preemptively saying the show won't deliver and then lower it's score because of it? We are right in the middle of the fight, yet you want all the answers now?

What I'm saying is, you did not even judge the episode for what it was delivering to us the viewer in this episode, but on what it might not do. Kind of weak and not fair to this amazing episode and Horikoshi's amazing story. The huge difference in your score vs the community makes it pretty clear. Not the first time you are doing that too. I'm really expecting better from a review.

Edit: Re-reading again, man do you downplay Stain a lot. sheesh.
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Sam Leach wrote:

Those questions are fair to ask, but your whole criticism for this episode is basically downplaying this amazing episode for things it will surely address in the future. I mean really you finish with this.
Quote:
I'm still interested in how much the show wants to explore Stain as a character, but the moment we have to throw him into the path of our leads, it's hard to imagine a world where his goals really offer any pathos. This episode submits a few interesting comparison of ideals, but right now I'm worried that the reality might be a little more shallow than I expected. I'm sure people are going to find Iida's struggle and Todoroki's development relatable, but so far this arc isn't saying anything all that surprising, which is kinda of what I'm looking for at the moment. It's hard to judge on just this episode alone, though, as the Stain fight looks to be continuing a few episodes more.

Your like preemptively saying the show won't deliver and then lower it's score because of it? We are right in the middle of the fight, yet you want all the answers now?

What I'm saying is, you did not even judge the episode for what it was delivering to us the viewer in this episode, but on what it might not do. Kind of weak and not fair to this amazing episode and Horikoshi's amazing story. The huge difference in your score vs the community makes it pretty clear. Not the first time you are doing that too. I'm really expecting better from a review.

I don't think a B is a low score! I personally didn't feel inspired to praise it or give it an A, but that's not a criticism. Most good shows imo are mostly Bs that build up to As. Maybe you thought this was an A and that's cool, but I couldn't have written that review for you.

"Will I like where this is going?" is a pretty benign question, but the second I do like where it goes I won't wold back.

Wink
raikochan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Quote:
The coincidence button is getting pressed a little hard here for my liking, since the kids aren't currently in school and yet their hero internships all happen to bring them into the same conflict

Really, I think Deku's involvement is the only coincidental part since his train just happened to be there when the Nomus started attacking. Iida deliberately chose Hosu City to find Stain and eventually finds him, and Todoroki is there because Endeavor is also tracking down Stain and Deku sent out his location to anyone who could provide assistance.

This. From things mentioned by Midoriya and Todoroki in the episode, it's obvious the Hero Killer is the current hot topic in the world of hero news, so it's unsurprising that attention whoring Endeavor would make posthaste to Hosu City, hoping to be The One to take down Stain. I don't find Iida and Todoroki being there to be in the realm of disbelief. Midoriya I can understand can be a tipping point for some, but coincident inducing the protagonist to be in the right place at the right time is pretty much par for the course in genre fiction. I still appreciated the effort put in to not just immediately plop Midoriya in the middle of Stain vs Iida as soon as he reaches Hosu: outside coincidences may cause the train to stop, but Midoriya's had Iida on the mind for a while, and then he uses what intel he has on the situation to make connections and track Iida down.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:

I don't think a B is a low score! I personally didn't feel inspired to praise it or give it an A, but that's not a criticism. Most good shows imo are mostly Bs that build up to As. Maybe you thought this was an A and that's cool, but I couldn't have written that review for you.

"Will I like where this is going?" is a pretty benign question, but the second I do like where it goes I won't wold back.

Wink

While yes I do think it deserves much higher for this intense episode. Stain's ideal, the stunning battle animation, the great story beats happening. The problem isn't the B. It's the reasons behind the B. Your reasoning is weak. From your analysis on Stain, which seems like you missed some episodes or even moments happening in the same episode (think Endeavor). Critiquing Todoroki involment which is easily explainable. Focusing on what's to come and ignoring what's happening now.

Anyway what's done is done. I just really disagree.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:

Wink

The problem is, that, based on how strong this episode was, a B is a terrible score. Anything under an A- would be a criticism of this episode, because of how strong it was. This was probably the second strongest episode of the entire series so far, behind only episode 10 from this season. Giving this episode a B would have been like giving episode 10 from this season anything other than an A; it's pretty much indefensible. The reasons you give for downgrading this episode really don't seem valid, with only the slight downturn in animation providing a possible valid justification for even downgrading it from an A to an A-. All your other reasons really do seem like you just being unreasonably impatient, which is kind of surprising, because you've been reviewing the series long enough that you know it usually gives its answers over time, not all upfront. Unfortunately, I see a lot more flaws in your review of the episode than the actual episode itself. You've done a good job with the series so far, but you really seem to have missed the point in this specific episode.
Ethe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how to feel about this episode. I thought they key moments weren't as epic as I remembered from the manga. Then again I watched it at 5:00 am while making an effort to stay awake... probably not the smartest decision to make if you want to fully enjoy the show (or any show for that matter).

Sam, I figured since you like Best Jeanist you'd probably like this image Horikoshi posted on his twitter Razz

GoldCrusader wrote:
Also no, while yes the art was maybe weaker at spot, nothing was correction worthy.

I think we can all agree this is correction worthy Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
I for one will back up Mr Leach's B, if only for this episode flagrantly violating the "Show, don't Tell" adage. It seemed to me that everyone suddenly couldn't stop talking. Despite that, I liked that the exposition explained the motivations of all involved far more than had been done to date.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 32 of 81