• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gore17

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Hmm, that episode felt strangely underwhelming to me. While it certainly wasn't bad by any stretch, i'd expected something more...surprising (not exactly "Deku and Bakugo becoming BFF" level of "surprising" but some kind of change in their relationship maybe...)? While i enjoyed the action, i couldn't help thinking "that's it?" at the end. But perhaps i just got myself unrealistically hyped up...

Seeing All Might as the "villain" was a (rather scary) treat, though. I guess everybody should be really glad he's in the hero's camp, even if he's not at 100% of his power anymore.

Gasero wrote:
Episode 37

I wasn't impressed by this episode at all. Neither Bakugo or Midoriya grew as a character. At the end of the episode, they were both pretty much the same and did not learn from each other. I want to think that Bakugo learned to work together with people, but he was very stubborn until the end, and I am not sure his character intends to be more than that. All Might did his best though. I think Allmight really showed the students what they would have to face if they were fighting a villain, and even then it seemed like Allmight was holding back.

Midoriya had multiple opportunities to put Bakugo in his place, but instead Midoriya kept being friendly and admiring. At some point, Midoriya and the others should just realize that Bakugo is being a jerk and let him figure that out on his own.

I think there was too much focus on Bakugo's attitude than there was on actually thinking of a plan to succeed. Midoriya should have realized that Allmight's close combat skills would have made him vulnerable to being handcuffed, but they instead decided to run from the most powerful and fastest opponent they could have faced. It wasn't a good plan. There plan the whole time was running as fast as they could. It was the least impressive passing grade among them all.

Eh. You two are definitely over-expecting things with Bakugou. He is developing, but this kind of development is hard, and he is going to take a while to "cook", with the progress being subtle if you don't know what to look for.

As for Midoriya, he outright started shouting back at Bakugou, and punched him when his pride got in the way of what few good qualities he actually had. Like, All Might even noted that his admiration is mixed in with hate. Seriously, what more do you want?

As All Might noted, fixing them is going to take a long time, but this represented an important step towards that. spoiler[It'll start paying off in Season 3, if you're worried this is as far as it goes.]

As for capturing All Might: one wanted to beat him in a fight due to excessive pride, one wanted to avoid fighting due to excessive admiration. The plan was a compromise. Also, not sure the handcuff would work, have you seen how big he is? Not to mention the difficulty of getting them on with All Might fighting them.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:23 am Reply with quote
There's almost nothing I hate more than shopping episodes. So imagine my delight when this suddenly took a left turn away from being that and became one of the more tension-filled episodes of the series. Smile

I was surprised to see Shigaraki without his face hand. I'm so not clear on what the deal is with his disembodied hand(s) anyway, but that was unexpected.

It sure seems to me like an awful lot of people know about All Might's emaciated form. It was presented in the beginning as a big secret, but he doesn't seem to be hiding it much from anyone anymore.

Anyway, good job wrapping for the season, MHA!
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
There's almost nothing I hate more than shopping episodes. So imagine my delight when this suddenly took a left turn away from being that and became one of the more tension-filled episodes of the series. Smile

I was surprised to see Shigaraki without his face hand. I'm so not clear on what the deal is with his disembodied hand(s) anyway, but that was unexpected.

It sure seems to me like an awful lot of people know about All Might's emaciated form. It was presented in the beginning as a big secret, but he doesn't seem to be hiding it much from anyone anymore.

Anyway, good job wrapping for the season, MHA!

Well related to the hand, when Shigaraki has his breakthrough and talking about how everyone can be so at ease and smile without a thought because of All Might, there's a quick flashback where all we can see is a puddle of blood, a severed hand, and somebody who's covered in blood.

The detective is Naomasa Tsukauchi. He's a close friend of All Might's who was already introduced back in the end of season 1, and already knew about All Might's problem. Besides him, it's only the other people All Might is close to or his coworkers that know about it (and even then, not all of them know about how Deku has All Might's quirk). They're people he can trust so it doesn't go against how he doesn't want the public to know what happened to him.

Also, so long as he doesn't switch between forms he has no reason to hide his weak self since people wouldn't immediately think he's All Might. The first time he appeared was him just casually coming out of a convenience store in his weakened form as that sludge villain was running off.
Gore17

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
[quote="Marimo0"]
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, so long as he doesn't switch between forms he has no reason to hide his weak self since people wouldn't immediately think he's All Might. The first time he appeared was him just casually coming out of a convenience store in his weakened form as that sludge villain was running off.

Indeed. In fact, a spin-off bit of media reveals that his true form is officially employed as All Mights secretary/assistant.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
^ Who presumably has a name? I know they were in an alley, but calling him All Might and him answering to it out in the open just seem sloppy to me. Especially in a world where more than one person probably has super hearing or 6 kinds of super vision.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^ Who presumably has a name? I know they were in an alley, but calling him All Might and him answering to it out in the open just seem sloppy to me. Especially in a world where more than one person probably has super hearing or 6 kinds of super vision.

and its because of that is the reason why how is it possible that he even still have a secret identity in the first place???

and it was beyond predictable that the season would end with those two. though why didn't it end in only 25 eps and not 26 considering that season one ended in 13 eps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 am Reply with quote
Wow what a great finale. Characters expression, the highly stylized emotions like Shigakari's black and white moment and how every character's action was super dynamic. I was cryring at how good it all was.(Well that and Midoriya's mom crying...this poor mom, she's best mom) Love how well they set up the 3rd season too. That little bonus of Deku running on the beach with all Might going to meet him was super great. Simple but effective! To be continued!

Season 2 is easily one of my personal Best of all time anime. The extra care they put in everything, showing their understanding of the material was a great love letter to fan of the series. I'll forever be happy of such a great adaptation.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

and its because of that is the reason why how is it possible that he even still have a secret identity in the first place???

and it was beyond predictable that the season would end with those two. though why didn't it end in only 25 eps and not 26 considering that season one ended in 13 eps?

Presumably they didn't need the full 26 episodes? In fact they technically only needed 24, though one episode was given as a filler episode for fan favorite Tsuyu.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching this. It has been a while but I finally watched something I could give full masterpiece marks. Super entertaining, stunning animation, memorable character designs, compelling story and human characters, it is a show that works beautifully. One of the best shounens of all time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:30 am Reply with quote
Kaminari was incredibly hot this episode. Same for Todoroki but he needed more scenes.

I wish we saw Kirishima in action a bit more.

The KiriBaku friend ship levels were hi (but Im KiriKami) so I had wished they had tonned the KiriBaku down a bit.

I did like to MidoTodo moment, how they were telepathically linked with what they were thinking was amazingly cute.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
I loved this episode even with the half recap stuff. The dynamic between everyone is just so good and I love how they jump of each other. KirixBaku was the best moment, but MidoxTodoxIida was also excellent. I loved how this episode was all man service. A direction a lot of the merch as taken too. They know what their audience wants. You won't see me complaining at least!

Also I get why they did a recap. MHA is on prìme time tv after all and it has a huge casual audience. Starting with a light episode and with some recapping makes sure you leave no one behind. A smart move.

I also loved the OP. It felt so amazing. I legit let out a little scream at the All Might part. AND the ED! Such a cool and sweet concept. That smiling Midoriya at the end....it's my whole life.

The OP itself is full of cool reference. It's really cool for manga fans. I'm a little surprised at how much stuff they gave to the Todoroki family in it. I love it, but I'm surprised.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:06 pm Reply with quote
So each new season of this show will have a semi re-cap episode to start off with

I like that they included some genga in the ED.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:12 pm Reply with quote
ep 39

I wish this recap episode did something more to launch viewers back into the larger narrative. It didn't even serve as a decent episode to reintroduce viewers to the larger cast of characters. We saw the same 4 characters who have shared the spotlight from the beginning, which could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who's involved in the next arc.

I don't mind the narrative setup for the arcs in MHA because it makes sense in terms of the overall world. Because the students are in a training school, contests and competitions among students are reasonable situations the characters would encounter. The larger narrative of the league of villains has interacted quite well with the student contests.

I look forward to watching more
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
I loved this episode even with the half recap stuff. The dynamic between everyone is just so good and I love how they jump of each other. KirixBaku was the best moment, but MidoxTodoxIida was also excellent. I loved how this episode was all man service. A direction a lot of the merch as taken too. They know what their audience wants. You won't see me complaining at least!

Also I get why they did a recap. MHA is on prìme time tv after all and it has a huge casual audience. Starting with a light episode and with some recapping makes sure you leave no one behind. A smart move.

I also loved the OP. It felt so amazing. I legit let out a little scream at the All Might part. AND the ED! Such a cool and sweet concept. That smiling Midoriya at the end....it's my whole life.

The OP itself is full of cool reference. It's really cool for manga fans. I'm a little surprised at how much stuff they gave to the Todoroki family in it. I love it, but I'm surprised.

which is weird considering that the manga didn't have this much in depth to shoto's family.

i have to expect that this ep 0 is probably filler considering that fact that the manga have zero mentions other than worst father of the year endeavor and shoto's mom!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I love the Pussycats, they're some of my favorite pros only topped by one who won't show up till probably the next cour (ep 15 or so depending on pacing and potential implied filler they might explore).

As someone noted on reddit the old eye catcher lists Mr. Aizawa's likes as- Cats. And here are some conveniently ages cat like individuals, guess that's why he gets shipped with him a lot. Also I've been waiting till she showed up to mention it, but there is a Mandalay X Deku Dojin out there.

I always find it strange that Mandala and Pixie get a lot of play but the other two members of the team that come in next episode are so much weaker in terms of personality and being fleshed out. Pixie is a Jaded 30 something through and through (And casting Chermi Leigh for her in the dub is great BTW) and Mandalay is that sweet young woman who lives next door and is so nice to everyone.

Still for the first real episode it looked and felt great, pacing was fine though they could probably be okay slowing down just a tick. I know a lot of people like the pacing for me it always feel just a bit too fast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 41 of 81