• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:37 am Reply with quote
I liked this episode a ton. 5/5 easy. But the sour spot for me, for the whole series, honestly, is that I just don't like Bakugou. Of all the media opinions I don't understand, Bakugou being a popular character baffles me to no end. He's a vicious bully, a horrifically mean-spirited, unrepentantly self-centered asshole. I don't hate him anymore, mind you; I like that he's been fleshed out as time has gone by, I understand his presence in the story, and I even felt a tiny bit of sympathy for him in this episode, but I really don't like the kid. I doubt I ever will. And that's a problem when he's the main character's main rival. As a result, what should have made brought me to the brink of tears made me think "Oh, that's neat." It's still a major issue preventing me from fully, 100% engaging with this show.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:53 am Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
He's a vicious bully, a horrifically mean-spirited, unrepentantly self-centered asshole.

All true things.....yet I still really like him; I can't explain it. Anime hyper I hate how he treats Deku...but I do have a large fondness for short-tempered characters who fly off the handle so easily; they really amuse me. *coughissacfostercough*

When they go (ಠ益ಠ) I can't help but like them. Anime hyper

(louis hates Bakugou too though)
Gore17

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 am Reply with quote
*watches as the rating has decreased from 4.7 to 4.5, the same rating as for episodes 44 and 45*

What the *beep*?
kenatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:48 am Reply with quote
This is the first episode in a while that I've actually enjoyed. Twice looks like a really interesting villain and his backstory was a nice outlook on how someone can doubt their existence when they basically make exact copies of themselves. The new tintin character hopefully isn't going to be a cliche.I'm actually anticipating next week's episode now.
Also Uraraka's anger at having to go through another internship was pretty funny
Marimo0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
The new tintin character hopefully isn't going to be a cliche.

What kind of cliche?
kenatsu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:07 am Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

What kind of cliche?

Not really a cliche per se. I just hope his power is unique and not just overpowered and that he has interesting things to say.
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:01 am Reply with quote
kenatsu wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

What kind of cliche?

Not really a cliche per se. I just hope his power is unique and not just overpowered and that he has interesting things to say.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh boi. You anime only people are going to be for a ride. A disjointed, oddly paced ride. (Why end the cour now?)
Marimo0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:31 am Reply with quote
EducatedRuffian wrote:
kenatsu wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:
kenatsu wrote:

What kind of cliche?

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh boi. You anime only people are going to be for a ride. A disjointed, oddly paced ride. (Why end the cour now?)

Probably to get some set up out of the way for next season's anime, and leave enough for audiences to get an idea of what to expect to see for season 4.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am Reply with quote
So these three students are supposed to be super proven, next level, popular students whos strengths surpass even that of most pro heroes, and Deku has no idea who they are? Isn't he supposed to be like an obsessive information gatherer, especially when it comes to hero stuff? Hasn't he been going to this school for almost a year now, and he's never heard of a group that's so popular that the staff goes so far as to dub them 'The Big Three'?
Chocolate with Nuts

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
So these three students are supposed to be super proven, next level, popular students whos strengths surpass even that of most pro heroes, and Deku has no idea who they are? Isn't he supposed to be like an obsessive information gatherer, especially when it comes to hero stuff? Hasn't he been going to this school for almost a year now, and he's never heard of a group that's so popular that the staff goes so far as to dub them 'The Big Three'?

What the hell are you talking about? They're just the best students in the school. Deku is only in his 1st year and it hasn't even been half a year of course he wouldn't know about 3rd years.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm not saying he has to know them personally, but the school doesn't seem that large (considering got rigorous the entrance exam is), so it just seems strange to me that Deku has never heard of them. Like, you would think it's something he would have heard of at some point.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Treeborn wrote:
I'm not saying he has to know them personally, but the school doesn't seem that large (considering got rigorous the entrance exam is), so it just seems strange to me that Deku has never heard of them. Like, you would think it's something he would have heard of at some point.

There is actually a reason but, spoiler.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

Ah, OK cool. Glad they're going to address it
Gasero

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:00 am Reply with quote
I really like the way that the epilogue was narrated by Twice rather than an ambiguous narrator. The idea that there is strife among heroes and villains will keep me interested in the next season. Stain was the hero killer, and it looks like Override may be a villain killer.

Treeborn wrote:
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

Ah, OK cool. Glad they're going to address it

That's still odd. The UA festival was mentioned as a way to get all UA students exposure for the exam and hero agencies. I'll wait and see what the explanation is, but within the context of the MHA universe, it seems like the vast majority of UA students should be known. Especially student heroes who are considered to be among the most skilled and powerful.

Maybe they are transfer students?
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:00 am Reply with quote
he had noclip on, so it was rather unfair. However it does raise the question if anyone has a god mode Quirk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 62 of 81