• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
If you want to know what mainstream shows look like, you have One Piece. You can say that in-world female characters dress the way they want to; but similar to Fairy Tail, the original author clearly has a tendency to draw all female characters in the same way, and all of it looks extremely sexist and some characters are even insulting.

True, this one off gag does rely on the trope of female characters tricked by two other male just to see them in a sort of embarassing situation, and it was clearly aimed for fanservice. However, eventually none of the girls keep with the cheer leading act if they don't want to, they're just pissed that Mineta tricked Yaoyorozu (which is actually IN character of her to be naive and trusting) and got up into that situation.

I do criticize the idea slightly, but I hardly find it insulting like I do sometimes in One Piece or Fairy Tail.

There's a big difference in characters drawn with fanservicey designs versus manipulating females into embarrassing situations. The latter is saying it's ok to shame females for male pleasure. While MHA had some of the former (Mount lady comes to mind), this is the first time they've really done anything with the latter. Several of the girls were clearly uncomfortable and the boys were rubbing it in. I didn't see anywhere where they would have been able to change so it's not like they had much of a choice on whether to stick with the cheerleading act.

I never got into One Piece or Fairy Tail so I can't compare specifically to those but I've watched a lot of shonen shows. Most of the time, stuff like this gets removed unless it's tied to a specific plot point.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

It's been a while since I read this arc in the comic, but I am pretty sure that it was implied that Toru (the invisible girl) was very enthusiastic about the prospect of cheering, and was using Minoru's "deception" as an excuse to get the other girls to cheer with her?

If this was in the manga, they cut it out from the anime. It was just Minoru and another boy saying that Aizawa told them about a cheer event.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
I never got into One Piece or Fairy Tail so I can't compare specifically to those but I've watched a lot of shonen shows. Most of the time, stuff like this gets removed unless it's tied to a specific plot point.

Like what examples exactly? Usually if something gets removed it's more because the original content was considered too suggestive and had to be toned down for TV viewing.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
GamerTimeUSA wrote:
I'm hoping we actually get to see other Class A-1 fights that weren't in the manga.

I lost hope that this adaptation was going to do anything different to the manga back in the first season. They'd much rather just slow down to a crawl. I'm sure we'll get plenty of flashbacks during those main battles, too.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:

Like what examples exactly? Usually if something gets removed it's more because the original content was considered too suggestive and had to be toned down for TV viewing.

A specific example is this: From Rurouni Kenshin, Sano literally says, "Have breakfast and baths for five ready when we get back," in the manga before the fight with Kanryu. In the anime, not only do they remove this but Kaoru goes to fight with them. They rewrite a fair amount of Kaoru's role, actually.

That's an older show but the example stuck with me specifically because it's still one of my favorites. There's a lot more but I would have to look them up and I don't have the time right now. I generally watch anime first and then read the manga and I've dropped a lot of shonen manga specifically because things like that start cropping up.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
The latter is saying it's ok to shame females for male pleasure. While MHA had some of the former (Mount lady comes to mind), this is the first time they've really done anything with the latter. Several of the girls were clearly uncomfortable and the boys were rubbing it in. I didn't see anywhere where they would have been able to change so it's not like they had much of a choice on whether to stick with the cheerleading act

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

It's been a while since I read this arc in the comic, but I am pretty sure that it was implied that Toru (the invisible girl) was very enthusiastic about the prospect of cheering, and was using Minoru's "deception" as an excuse to get the other girls to cheer with her?

If this was in the manga, they cut it out from the anime. It was just Minoru and another boy saying that Aizawa told them about a cheer event.

They did leave it in with the invisible girl being enthusiastic, but not any sort of part where she realized it was a prank. I don't see how they implied that it's OK, exactly, considering that all the characters constantly insult Minoru and call him a creep. ("I teamed up even though it's you, because it was a good plan" during the cavalry event, etc.)

Do you also think that the show says that it's ok to be a jerk like Bakugo, simply because it portrays him being a jerk (and often fairly successful), or do you think that the negative reactions by other characters to Bakugo's actions are sufficient?
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
So not only did Deku win the prelim race without using OfA, he beat someone without using OfA on them?

AWESOME.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Well the guy did not have any physical quirks, but from Deku's point we also see that line of thinking as an excuse on the guy's part as Deku has trained himself extensively without the expectation that he could just rely on some sort of brainwashing ability.

That show of power at the end was something else.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
That was a good episode, and I definitely want to see more of this Shinso guy. In general, this whole season has been a step up from S1, although the pacing is still very shonen (read: slow). Part and parcel for the genre, though, so it's not like I have too much to complain about.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
^^Yep, happy to see MHA not slow down too much as the story is kept expanding. However, this episode seemed a little slow to me and spent a lot of time on Midoriya slowly walking with internal dialog on all sides rather than on action. The team mate's reaction to Shinsou made up for some of that I think. My theory on the newest reveal is that One for All spoiler[passes on the soul (or a part thereof) of the previous owner to the next, which I think may explain why All Might looks like a ghoul as one person observed early on. He is meant to portray a "dead man walking" and I predict toward season end he will die.]
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
^^Yep, happy to see MHA not slow down too much as the story is kept expanding. However, this episode seemed a little slow to me and spent a lot of time on Midoriya slowly walking with internal dialog on all sides rather than on action. The team mate's reaction to Shinsou made up for some of that I think. My theory on the newest reveal is that One for All spoiler[passes on the soul (or a part thereof) of the previous owner to the next, which I think may explain why All Might looks like a ghoul as one person observed early on. He is meant to portray a "dead man walking" and I predict toward season end he will die.]

Your theory is spoiler[half right just so you know Razz]

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
this episode bothered me a bit mostly the thing with teh "previous oen for all users" as I don't remember the manga being like that, so I wonder if the spirits are anime original.

Manga spoilers ahead spoiler[ because in the manga, it was clearly mentioned that all might's "teacher" or rather the user directly previus to all might is the one where one for all originated with, so deku should be only the third user and there should have been only two souls]

actually, I did not read that scene as one for all users but a deku hallucination on the people that wanted him to win, all might, uraraka, etc...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
this episode bothered me a bit mostly the thing with teh "previous oen for all users" as I don't remember the manga being like that, so I wonder if the spirits are anime original.

They're in the manga as well, chapter 33.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Manga spoilers ahead spoiler[ because in the manga, it was clearly mentioned that all might's "teacher" or rather the user directly previus to all might is the one where one for all originated with, so deku should be only the third user and there should have been only two souls]

That's entirely inaccurate. spoiler[All Might establishes that OFA was originally possessed by All For One's brother. All Might's predecessor was a woman (and considering she was named Nana, and Horikoshi's penchant for super obvious Pun names its safe to assume she was the 7th user of OFA.).]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
You know, between Ochako, Emma from The Promised Neverland, and now Dr. Stone's Yuzuriha, it feels like we've gotten this really great influx of unconventionally-badass Shonen Jump heroines lately.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Uraraka is at a huge disadvantage here, pretty much "the girl" character against "the rival" character", and Uraraka is not much the fighter type. Which has me feeling that she really might grow into a strong character, not held back by being "the girl".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 81