• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Deku playing yakuza was priceless. Laughing
Ditto in spades! Plus having the others trying to be "inconspicious" by acting like what they think the "locals" are like is old but gold!
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 46

To the people saying that the students are not on a vigilante mission, I think you're wrong. In order for the students to retrieve Bakugo, they will likely have to (illegally) enter the villains' place of residence and take Bakugo away. They could instead alert the proper authorities who have legal permission to pursue and retrieve Bakugo on their behalf.

Also, we expect that the villains are not going to give Bakugo back without a fight, so the students are likely going to get into a fight and try to solve the problem with illegal activity.

Lida comparing the current stealth mission to his own mission is mostly accurate. The students are doing this on their own without consulting adults and they are putting their lives in danger against permission from their guardians. After Lida made his irresponsible action, he realized how important it is for the students to consult more experienced and knowledgeable heroes who are in a better position to act.

I'm happy to see Bakugo taking inspiration from All Might, but I think Bakugo's perception of All Might is still off. All Might probably considers winning to be "helping people at all costs", but Bakugo seems to think that winning means "beating up bad guys at all costs". I hope to see Bakugo evolve a bit more towards the "helping people" side rather than the "hitting people" side of heroism.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It's hard not to see the plan to rescue Bakugo as anything other than vigilantism. Momo already gave the licensed heroes what they needed to rescue Bakugo, so now it is about making up for their own perceived failures. I can certainly sympathize with Iida's anger that Deku and Todoroki are acting on their own after they barely avoided any real punishment by virtue of saving someone's life in the process. Even if they aren't considered to be in technical violation of the rules, which assumes that their sneak in-sneak out idea works, it still makes for a bad pattern where they get by as long as things work out.

Gasero wrote:

I'm happy to see Bakugo taking inspiration from All Might, but I think Bakugo's perception of All Might is still off. All Might probably considers winning to be "helping people at all costs", but Bakugo seems to think that winning means "beating up bad guys at all costs". I hope to see Bakugo evolve a bit more towards the "helping people" side rather than the "hitting people" side of heroism.

I'd say you're right. Both he and Deku are shown being inspired by videos of All Might's exploits, but Deku's is the video of All Might saving lots of people from a fire, while Bakugo's is a video of All Might fighting several villains at once.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
This is where you really see Bakugo change as a character. This arc sees so much growth in him as a character and where he became one of my favorites in the series. In the next episode there is going to be a moment where it really cements why this isn't the same as the "Sasuke Retrieval Arc". spoiler[Aizawa continues with the press conference and is asked if the villains kidnapped Bakugo to exploit his violent behavior and turn him into a villain. Aizawa confidently rebuts that the Villains woefully underestimated Bakugo's true resolve in being a hero.]
I don't really see that as a sign of growth for Bakugou's character, it's just very consistent with what he's been presented as since the start of the show. He's always looked up to All Might because he's a winner and thus considers Shigaraki and such as a plague on society aka losers aka people whom he would never even think of siding with.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:38 am Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
This is where you really see Bakugo change as a character. This arc sees so much growth in him as a character and where he became one of my favorites in the series. In the next episode there is going to be a moment where it really cements why this isn't the same as the "Sasuke Retrieval Arc". spoiler[Aizawa continues with the press conference and is asked if the villains kidnapped Bakugo to exploit his violent behavior and turn him into a villain. Aizawa confidently rebuts that the Villains woefully underestimated Bakugo's true resolve in being a hero.]

but that can also be used as a valid reasoning to compare this rescue arc to saskue's rescue arc.

i mean if he were to learn the truth about his hero savior all might from all for one, i could easily seeing that actually happening. after all bakugo is supposed to be the definition of the anti hero.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shradow

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:43 am Reply with quote
With regards to the episode 47 review:
Quote:
This is a character I know little about, but it's frankly hard to separate what I've learned through fandom osmosis and what's actually been solidified in the anime so far. Based on the info we have, I'd say it's pretty clear he's connected to the All For One user from All Might's origin story.

He is the All For One user from the One For All origin story (the story was the origin of the quirk itself, not All Might). There's only ever been one All For One (it's both the name of the quirk and the villain himself). Deku even says, "That's All For One." in the post-credits scene of this episode. Seems like sort of an odd thing to lack info about, maybe go rewatch a bit of episode 33 to hear the story again.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 am Reply with quote
Sam, as someone said above, he is All For One. His name appears on-screen (as it did back in episode 38) when Shigakari's asks for help, and then Midoriya states who he is at the end of the episode. Heck, the name of the episode is "All For One" Razz I'm guessing it's been some time since season 2 so you forgot about him? 'Cause judging by your review of episode 33, you knew who he was:

Quote:
If you stick around for the after credits scenes, you'll see that the ominous All For One appears to still be around behind the scenes of the League of Villains, threatening to revive himself from his sickly, decrepit state as soon as he can.

Anyway, I'm digging the new background songs we got in this episode, especially the ones when AfO shows up.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad they chose one of the MHA' fandom favorite moment to give to Yutapon. This was the perfect love letter to the moment that propelled KirixBaku through the stratosphere. These two grabbing hands was perfectiob. Yutapon going insanely extra on it will make it even stronger now. Bless studio BONES. Giving MHA fans so much.

Now give me even more Kiri and Baku merch!(there is already so much I'm going to declare bankruptcy)
SandyBoi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:14 am Reply with quote
Yutapon actually chose to do that scene
Apparently Yutapon joked about making Bakugou flying off into the stratosphere but the staff stopped him.

https://twitter.com/sekise10/status/1005378371944046593?s=19

r/anime's discussion of said scene:
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/8q06xv/clip_my_hero_academia_bakugous_jump_by_yutaka/
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:31 am Reply with quote
I'm glad Sam pointed out how extra that rescue scene was because even though it was a technical marvel it also completely took me out of the scene.

For anyone who read the manga you know how tame that scene was by comparison and seeing it in the anime just made me think "if you could have always done that, why wait until the others showed up to get you?" He flew like half a mile before even grabbing Kirishima's hand after basically nukeing himself in the air taking out all the villains around him.

Sometimes less is more and they honestly went way too far with it no matter how cool it looked. 4/5
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
Glad the review made note of All For One's relationship with Shigaraki. It's interesting to me that he seemed proud that Shigaraki showed enough maturity to ask for help as soon as he was clearly over his head, and he even complimented him for showing improvement, even if the overall plan was a failure. Plus, he seems to consider himself some sort of protector of villains given how he blamed All Might for "sacrificing" them in order to become #1.
Tirol Choco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:31 am Reply with quote
Why is Sam giving these excellent episodes such lukewarm reviews especially after giving tge latest Black Clover episode an A for chrissakes. Rolling Eyes
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:07 am Reply with quote
Tirol Choco wrote:
Why is Sam giving these excellent episodes such lukewarm reviews especially after giving tge latest Black Clover episode an A for chrissakes. Rolling Eyes

Wait what's lukewarm about it? He was super positive and showed that he really enjoyed it. Also the lastest BC episode was amazing. It wad easily one of the best episode this year. it definitely deserved the praise he gave it. He gave really well written thoughts for both too. I don't get you BC haters sometimes.

Would I have given the episode a higher grade myself? Of course. But a B+ is great so I don't have much of a problem.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I certainly don't care about the letter-grades, but I do find it sort of confusing how he can write a glowing review with only a few criticisms that are all like "but this slightly bad thing is actually good when you think about it"... and then give it a B+. Some episodes got an A, but I don't really see why he felt differently about those.

Maybe it'd be better to just leave out the grades entirely... but people need their condensed numerical score of a subjective thing.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:35 pm Reply with quote
UNITED STATES OF SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!

Thank you so much Bones, I love you!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 45 of 81