• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Happened With Anime Sols?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bamble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
That Anime Sols' streams were all geo-locked was fully expected, as this seems to happen consistently with vintage anime. However as others have mentioned, the fact that the site would also not even accept international payments was perhaps a little more unexpected, and didn't really appear conducive to raising as many funds as possible for English-language releases of such particularly niche series.

Count me as yet another of the (seemingly very small, despite the interest shown in this thread?) number of fans that was disappointed that Hurricane Polymar never got a release, especially considering that either Discotek or Sentai would have been a natural fit to actually give the series a physical release upfront if AnimeSols hadn't grabbed it first.

I know Sentai in particular supposedly had a deal for 11 Tatsunoko series in 2013, so adding Hurricane Polymar to that list would seem a natural fit for them, considering they released Gatchaman and Casshan.

However nearly three years down the line, I think it can be safely assumed that Sentai's deal with Tatsunoko has quietly been "forgotten". In addition to Gatchaman and Casshan, the only two other older Tatsunoko productions they released were the Time Bokan OVA and the 1978 Gatchaman movie (assuming that even counts as a separate license from the series).

That still leaves 7 productions that Sentai never publically announced (retrospectively we can see this was a wise decision) as being part of the deal. I assume Urashiman was likely part of the deal, since the online streams of the first half of the series clearly used subtitles formatted in Sentai's standard DVD format. It's a pity the Tatsunoko deal didn't really work out, but I guess outside of Gatchaman the other series didn't generate enough sales.

Whether Sentai or Anime Sols, it's a shame that the older Tatsunoko series outside of Gatchaman and Casshan never got English releases on physical media, and Anime Sols' eventual fate might have "poisoned the well" for such series for a time.
tamahime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
"Impossible" may be technically inaccurate, but when a product is only available for about two months that's not a lot of time to find out and purchase. Even then, when I found out in June and contacted RightStuf they said they were already sitting on a bunch of backorders for weeks that they were going to have to cancel anyway.
JonLa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Ooh maybe I'll send that into Answerman: whatever happened to the Tasunoko/Sentai deal and why did we only get Casshern out of it new (and the previously released Gatchaman)?
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I remember these based folks, unfortunately their crowd funding did not include a "just wanted to help, no rewards for me thanks" option Kickstarter campaigns have. I am not a merchandise person so unfortunately I had no incentive to donate money. Sad It is a real shame since nobody else would touch Tobikage, Tekkaman, or classic Hurricane Polymar.

There was: I distinctly remember purchasing several $5 packages when the call went out for extra help to get a Creamy Mami set funded; I bought that pack SPECIFICALLY because there was no merch so no shipping costs.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
That Anime Sols' streams were all geo-locked was fully expected, as this seems to happen consistently with vintage anime. However as others have mentioned, the fact that the site would also not even accept international payments was perhaps a little more unexpected, and didn't really appear conducive to raising as many funds as possible for English-language releases of such particularly niche series.

It was. I have a subscription to Japanese Hulu, paid for with my European credit card, and while I have to jump through some hoops to watch the streams while logged in, Hulu is perfectly okay with taking my money and letting me figure out how to get the service they offered.

I managed to toss some money towards the Dororo streaming thanks to a kind American that acted as a middleman, but was unable to support any of the DVD releases and had to purchase those I wanted that actually got produced at a markup later. Real shame.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Kinda sucks Anime Sols shut down.

Would have been neat seeing Tekkaman being subbed along with Yatterman.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:35 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
MrBonk wrote:
Japanese and their Hubris and lack of humility.

Sometimes that place is just mystifying. I mean how hard it is it to admit you were wrong about something, or something is the wrong approach and simply fix it or change direction?
I do this all the time at work. It's just part of the flow man. You don't just let the ship sink like an idiot.

Which is ironic considering how you're supposed to look as humble as possible when in public.

I'm just following the pattern of how east Asian companies work from the countries that I DO know a bunch about the culture of, but if it's like them, there is a lot of shame in admitting you've made a mistake when you're in charge of a project. And even when you're not. One misstep is enough to end your corporate career and permanently mark you as "that person who screwed up in that project" even if the project winds up being successful. After all, Gunpei Yokoi was kicked upstairs for creating the Virtual Boy, even though he created the D-pad, the Game Boy, the Metroid and Kid Icarus franchises, and was the person who decided to move Nintendo into video games. You screw up once, you're done.

This difference in thinking is the cause of a lot of friction between western companies that want to partner up with Asian companies (most commonly for Chinese manufacturing). Most western countries have the idea that anyone could fail at something, but they should pick themselves back up and try again only with more wisdom. (Ray Croc, for instance, had nothing but failures until his mid-40s when he met the McDonald Bros. and visited their hamburger restaurant.) But oftentimes, when they try to find an Asian industrial ally, the Asian company heads cannot trust the western businessperson because they find out that the westerner has failed in the past. They only want to find a business partner who has never seen failure.

Oh, god the thinly veiled ethnocentrism. I know you like to post everything from an American perspective, but keep in mind that there were just as bunch of high profile screw ups from formerly successful guys who never recovered on the Western side of the pond (a lot from banks and the financial sector). Also, there are a lot of Asian businessmen who kept falling the bottom yet reach the top. A lot of Asian companies are eager to do business with the West, but get cockblocked for reasons such as their home country's policies scaring them away or the Westerners imposing THEIR unfair terms. You just never hear from them because the deeply rooted stereotype of Asians = overly cautious and Westerners = gung ho cowboy optimists got accepted into the mainstream.

Anyways, Anime Sols is another one of those companies that had their hearts in the right place, but acted too much like fans and not business people to keep themselves afloat. They were rather wishy washy as to what projects they wanted to work on beyond Creamy Mami and Onii-sama he as if they lost direction after they done these releases. Here's hoping if another venture should be done to publicizing retro anime, they do so with better heads on their shoulders.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
I should point out that my family came from one of these Asian countries with a strong fear of failure in business, and I will say outright that I am quite disgusted with that line of thinking. I am also well aware that there isn't a hard-line, no-exceptions pattern of Asian businesspeople trying to not look like failures in any regard and American businesspeople having no fear of failure whatsoever (and I can cite many examples in the entertainment and political sectors in the United States of a single mistake ruining a person).

But I do not see any benefit whatsoever in a business culture where failing once means your life is over, given the high-risk nature of most businesses, and I have observed business culture in parts of the world for long enough to have seen a greater tendency for Asian businesses than western businesses to avoid people who have had notable failures. To have become a success without ever failing before is actually a bad thing, since such a person is limited in worldview, and when that person inevitably fails, they'll have no idea what to do and they'll fall way harder than someone who failed when they were still smaller. (Look at the official statement from Mossack Fonseca after the Panama Papers leak: As a law firm that's never had a setback of any kind, their reaction is of directionless hostility, confusion, and blame-shifting. And what a beautiful meltdown it is.) THAT is the point: Not that Americans do things better or Asians do things worse, but that the general idea to reject anyone who's failed even once is short-sighted at best and self-destructive at worst.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I should point out that my family came from one of these Asian countries with a strong fear of failure in business, and I will say outright that I am quite disgusted with that line of thinking. I am also well aware that there isn't a hard-line, no-exceptions pattern of Asian businesspeople trying to not look like failures in any regard and American businesspeople having no fear of failure whatsoever (and I can cite many examples in the entertainment and political sectors in the United States of a single mistake ruining a person).

But I do not see any benefit whatsoever in a business culture where failing once means your life is over, given the high-risk nature of most businesses, and I have observed business culture in parts of the world for long enough to have seen a greater tendency for Asian businesses than western businesses to avoid people who have had notable failures. To have become a success without ever failing before is actually a bad thing, since such a person is limited in worldview, and when that person inevitably fails, they'll have no idea what to do and they'll fall way harder than someone who failed when they were still smaller. (Look at the official statement from Mossack Fonseca after the Panama Papers leak: As a law firm that's never had a setback of any kind, their reaction is of directionless hostility, confusion, and blame-shifting. And what a beautiful meltdown it is.) THAT is the point: Not that Americans do things better or Asians do things worse, but that the general idea to reject anyone who's failed even once is short-sighted at best and self-destructive at worst.

You're exaggerating here. Of course anyone will ignore a few blunders in someone's business track record, BUT if they ever made a mistake that cost millions worth of assets it's only natural that they'll be leery working with them. It's simple self preservation. Maybe you're a lot more forgiving in regards to to screw ups, but anyone who has a stake to lose will not and should not just sign up to anyone without fully knowing the risks involve. I certainly would not do business with a client involved in a scandal or incompetence that resulted in immeasurable losses.

Not to say that they don't deserve second chances, but they'll need to work themselves even harder to recover their tarnished reputation, but frankly it's rather naive to think that everyone else should subscribe to this way of thinking. The business world isn't a daycare where "no child gets left behind" it's a war zone where you have to figuratively eat one another at times to stay alive. That's just how the cookie crumbles.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Everyone will eventually make a mistake though, if not sooner then later. The way I see it, anyone who claims to have never errored is either a rookie or a liar, and having a liar on your business team is more dangerous than having someone who has made a major mistake.

In the case of the business partners of Anime Sols, I don't see anything wrong with a company having to switch gears when it becomes evident that the environment has changed mid-project. I would not consider that as either a mistake or an admission of failure, just an incorrect prediction. Nevertheless, when you're working on a major project, things won't go exactly according to plan, and thus you have to adapt and change parts of your plan. A good plan is a flexible one, and something that can't account for even something like a new venue for raising funds (which is the example samuelp used--his business partner refused to use any new crowdfunding sources because of a fear of looking bad) is not going to end well. (Frankly, I don't understand how these people got to where they are if they have never once had to revise their plans for unexpected events.)
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
JonLa wrote:
Ooh maybe I'll send that into Answerman: whatever happened to the Tasunoko/Sentai deal and why did we only get Casshern out of it new (and the previously released Gatchaman)?

Unfortunately, I doubt he would be able to provide you with an answer. Justin, and the rest of ANN, seem to have much less knowledge of the workings of Sentai, than they do of the other R1 companies.

Our guesses would probably be as good as his. Personally, I imagine it's possible that the titles released from the deal so far have under performed, so Sentai has either delayed or cancelled the rest. It's still possible that Sentai could release them later. They may simply be focusing on getting their newer and more popular titles out. They do have a pretty extensive backlog to work through.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:02 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Everyone will eventually make a mistake though, if not sooner then later. The way I see it, anyone who claims to have never errored is either a rookie or a liar, and having a liar on your business team is more dangerous than having someone who has made a major mistake.

In the case of the business partners of Anime Sols, I don't see anything wrong with a company having to switch gears when it becomes evident that the environment has changed mid-project. I would not consider that as either a mistake or an admission of failure, just an incorrect prediction. Nevertheless, when you're working on a major project, things won't go exactly according to plan, and thus you have to adapt and change parts of your plan. A good plan is a flexible one, and something that can't account for even something like a new venue for raising funds (which is the example samuelp used--his business partner refused to use any new crowdfunding sources because of a fear of looking bad) is not going to end well. (Frankly, I don't understand how these people got to where they are if they have never once had to revise their plans for unexpected events.)

Never said anything about someone having to not make mistakes, but when the mistakes committed led to devastating results, that's where you have to use your best judgment whether the whole partnership is worth it. Healthy skepticism is a must if you and your company are going to survive and thrive.

There was more into the issue than that. Him and his partners had conflicting ideas about how to gain revenue with the latter thinking that extras like figurines would make extra money.

It's fine to have a backup, but if you have to constantly expect the unexpected, it just shows how unstable your current business is in the first place. Sorry, but I prefer a safe and concrete plan over having to change on the fly and diving into a relatively unexplored mode of practice. If I'm a business owner, I would put priority over the wellbeing of my immediate assets and employees first and just "jumping in" would potentially jeopardize their livelihoods. In this uncertain economy, it's best to leave the adventurous spirit to the ones who can afford losing money and face. Anime Sols and its ilk are not ready for this.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
In this uncertain economy, it's best to leave the adventurous spirit to the ones who can afford losing money and face. Anime Sols and its ilk are not ready for this.

One thing that I should point out, if it wasn't obvious from the face of things, was that Anime Sols was a very low-risk venture. Split up into ~8 parts each individual partner invested what basically amounted to rounding errors for each of their budgets.
Despite not being an overall profitable success, certain partners did in fact make a profit off their initial investment, while others did not.
To address your point, this project was not designed to be adventurous ever. It was designed to be extremely cheap and risk adverse! And it succeeded in that Smile
I fully agree that a company that had taken a much larger financial risk could quite possible have had much better success at crowd funding classic anime, but it's very hard to predict whether that really would have been the case.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I still think the region lock was the biggest issue. At least for me, not for streaming, but for pledging. I have pledged in several campaigns in Kickstarter and one in IndieGoGo, it's never been a problem.

The sad thing is, here in Latinamerica, there's a lot of fans of older series. Actually sometimes it drives me nuts how many refuse to watch anything new and instead wax nostalgic about the olden days of anime. If it is 5% similar in other continents, they could have made a lot more money. I actually went from hoping they would re-release Urusei Yatsura (stares at incomplete collection), to hoping somebody else would, immediately after trying to pledge for Dear Brother.

But it's also true some other properties would have helped, like World Masterpiece Theater, for example. Who doesn't know that one?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4