• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which Shonen Jump Series Hooked You?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I'd probably have to say Dragonball Z was the first series that really hooked me into anime. Sailor Moon is a pretty close competitor, but that's not WSJ, so... >.>

What I find funny is that I never realized these shows (or most of my other childhood favorites) were made in Japan for quite some time. In my defense, though, I had very limited internet access and was too young to really care about what distinguished one show from the next aside from how much it entertained me. It just so happened that the majority of the shows I liked to watch happened to be anime... which I only realized some time after I started watching Naruto.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Yu-Gi-Oh! was definitely what got me into Shonen Jump and into the world of Anime with out it I probably never would have watched bleach, Naruto or many of my all time favorite Anime series. Very Happy
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Without knowing it was a Jump series at the time of course it was the DBZ anime. Even with its slow drawn out pace, I kept coming back for more. As I entered my teen years it was One Piece, it was just something I didn't expierence with other anime series. From the characters to the story and everything in between. Now even though this second half has been somewhat underwhelming in my opinion, I still enjoy it.

I will say though, some of the more enjoyable Shonen Jump series have been the because tier series. Stuff like Eyeshield 21, Reborn, Buso Renkin, Sket Dance, D. Grayman, Beelzebub, Bobobo, Neuro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Definitely Dragon Ball and YuYu Hakusho, as both were pretty much the earliest gateway into anime for boys at the time in my generation. Couldn't be happier to have been brought into the fold back then. ;P
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Naruto and Yu-Gi-Oh were my gateway drugs into collecting manga way back in 2002 when SJ first started here in the U.S.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
There's really only one Shounen Jump manga that I've read to completion, and it's not one that westerners would consider a typical SJ series: Kimagure Orange Road.

I like slice-of-life romantic comedy manga with slight ESPer twists, and it's one of those series that would probably work without powers (even if some chapters would need to be rewritten). Plus, Madoka is the archetypical tsundere girl.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Bleach was my gateway drug into anime and manga. I had watched/read some before, but Bleach was the first property that made me keep current with new episodes and chapters. I still buy each manga volume as they're released, even though I haven't actually read any of them for years. When the ending finally comes, I'll finally power through them all.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:06 pm Reply with quote
One Piece definitely got me hooked on the magazine, I would then read series like Death Note and Yugioh, just to name a few. And a few years I finally started reading Bleach, hopefully it ends as good as it started. In due time, I'll start reading Naruto as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I will proudly declare that I never had (or ever will) read or watch Dragon Ball. I have enough memes, obnoxious fanboys, and Abridged Series to give me the gist of the story thank you very much. U_U

Sadly, the first Shounen Jump anime I saw was Inuyasha. Only until my high school years did I realize how this awful series drags its heels to find the jewel shards, has a love triangle so unhealthy that a marriage counselor won't even take it, and a character so over-powered that the only reason the anime wasn't 13 episodes long opposed to almost 200 ep was because of magical f**king bees!! It made me hate the shounen genre for awhile and binge as much shoujo anime/manga as possible.

Thankfully, it was the Black Cat anime that made me enjoy shounen anime again while Bleach solidify my love for action, samurai/swordplay, and supernatural anime. Since I don't read Shounen Jump manga at all, the anime based off the magazine that I enjoy are the usual suspects: Yu-Gi- Oh, JBA, Busō Renkin (such an underrated show!), Gintama, REBORN!, D. Gray Man, Kuroko no Basketball, Haikyuu!, HunterxHunter, Assassination Classroom, and Food Wars.

I tried One Piece and completely abandoned the idea of catching up with it. I have sub-zero interest in watching Naruto although my nephew worships that show. I might watch Death Note and Bakuman eventually but, I already know the ending so, I'm not sure if they're worth watching beyond all the hype. I'm skipping Hero Academia; I don't need yet another "kid enters magical/supernatural/superhero high school to become a badass".
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:49 pm Reply with quote
perroloco wrote:
Valhern wrote:
Oh, do I have a love relationship with WSJ. When I was a kid there were, easily, three anime for me, Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, and Yu Yu Hakusho. I can say that these shaped me in my love for fighting anime and anime overall.

Where are you from? I just cant think of a place that showed Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Yu Yu Hakusho BUT no Yugioh??

Argentina. Well, they DID air it here, that's why I said kinda, but it wasn't on the main "anime" channels, Fox Kids and the regional Magic Kids. These would air from Orphen to Zenki, Kaleido Star, Magical Knight Rayearth, Beyblade, you name it, but they didn't air Yu-Gi-Oh! Maybe it was a problem of airtime or that collectible games weren't much of a hit, hardly it was a censorship matter, Saint Seiya had a guy losing 5 liters of blood on screen no problem. It only aired on Nickelodeon on saturdays at 6 or 7 AM, and sadly we didn't have Nickelodeon, could only watch it on my grandma's house sometimes.

My first and almost only experience with it as a kid was, luckily, the first episode when Exodia "OBLITERATES!" Kaiba's ass, after that I catched one time the duel with Arkana, then the one with that Dark Hunter with an Exodia deck, shortly after is the one with Osiris, and last but not least, the duel in which Mai fail summons The Winged Dragon of Ra; I was intrigued all my childhood asking myself what the hell was that golden egg. I did buy some cards, though
jsieczkar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
There's really only one Shounen Jump manga that I've read to completion, and it's not one that westerners would consider a typical SJ series: Kimagure Orange Road.

I like slice-of-life romantic comedy manga with slight ESPer twists, and it's one of those series that would probably work without powers (even if some chapters would need to be rewritten). Plus, Madoka is the archetypical tsundere girl.

I forgot that it was a WSJ series but I have never seen all of the specials, so I don't think I can count it.
Somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305:
For the record, InuYasha ran in Weekly Shounen Sunday, not Jump. All of Takahashi Rumiko's major stuff ran in Shougakukan publications.

I can't speak for Bakuman's anime, but as far as how the manga went, it was a case of the journey being noticably better than the destination. I don't think that knowing the ending alone is sufficient reason to pass on it.

---

Hmm, as for myself: the Rurouni Kenshin anime was how I started with WSJ stuff. It was shortly after I got into digital fansubs (hnnnng, Real Media), and it just hit all the right notes to get me to adore it. And to this day, I'll rewatch it up through the Kyoto arc once every few years. I actually didn't even start reading manga in general until 2-3 years later, when the (North American) Shounen Jump magazine started up.
I probably watched DNA^2 shortly before Kenshin, but I never really fell in love with it. But it is the one series I've seen in Vivo format, which has forever taught me how important the existence of keyframes are (ie, the ability to seek).
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin and Seiya hooked me into Shonen Jump
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
@Somewhere

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering why Inuyasha wasn't on the Jump Wiki page. Anime hyper

I'll consider watching the first season of Bakuman on Hulu. Rather not pay $7 for a manga I might not like on the Jump website.

Only seen the Kenshin live action movies but, I enjoyed them enough to consider it another favorite shounen title.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Slump, we had ARALE plushes. I didn't find the humor funny at the time. I was more interested in finding more of Hokuto no Ken. Shonen Jump has so many good hits making it harder and harder to ignore.

Dragonquest was my big fascination.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6